IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Weatherspoons Euro car parks PCN

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hobbesy wrote: »
    How do I appeal to the company (Wetherspoons) without admitting I was the driver?
    How many seats has your car got?

Could you have been in the passenger seat?

"We visited xyz pub..."

Do not use the word 'I'.

" the driver paid for three hours..."
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You should also edit your original post to remove information about who did what.

Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people. ;)

Parking scammers monitor these fora.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • Hobbesy
    Hobbesy Posts: 12 Forumite
    Gonna send this to the head office of Wetherspoon, feel free to let me know what you think.
    Thanks

Hi,

On the 2nd March 2018 my family and a friend attended The county hotel pub in Ashford, Kent for breakfast. We as a family have done many times before in the 14 years of living in Ashford, over that time the parking restrictions have changed and we have kept up with them and paid whenever required to.

On the 2nd the diver paid for three hours and placed a ticket as per the rules in the vehicle (I am the registered keeper of **** *** but someone else was driving as I intended to have a drink). After breakfast we met up with friends and lost track of time, we returned to the vehicle some 30mins after the ticket expired.

On approximately the 17th March I received a parking charge invoice for the sum of £75 for going over 30mins, I find this absolutely disgusting that a national company like yours would use a company in an unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences.

My wife and I went again for breakfast on the 23rd March and tried to speak to the manager about this !!!8216;invoice!!!8217; only to find her very dismissive of me and she said they didn!!!8217;t discuss or deal with these !!!8216;parking tickets!!!8217;. We both left without eating and went somewhere else to get breakfast.

I have spoken to friends who say this is happening more and more at this establishment and I!!!8217;m hoping you can do something about this !!!8216;invoice!!!8217; to our satisfaction which means we wouldn!!!8217;t have to find another regular pub and dinner.

Many thanks
  • Hobbesy
    Fruitcake wrote: »
    You should also edit your original post to remove information about who did what.

Only ever refer to The Driver and The Keeper, who are two different people. ;)

Parking scammers monitor these fora.

Done, thanks
  • KeithP
    After breakfast we met up with friends and lost track of time, we returned to the vehicle some 30mins after the ticket expired.
    Can you perhaps make it a little clearer that during this meeting with friends you didn't leave the pub, but spent lots of money at the bar? ;)

At the moment, it looks as though you may have taken advantage of their car park and wandered off site.
  • Hobbesy
    Wetherspoon letter sent, appeal to Euro car parks sent.

So lets see how that goes
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    On the 2nd the diver paid for three hours and placed a ticket as per the rules in the vehicle (I am the registered keeper of **** *** but someone else was driving as I intended to have a drink). After breakfast we met up with friends and lost track of time, we returned to the vehicle some 30mins after the ticket expired.
    I know you have already sent this but shouldn't that be DRIVER? Also you should only say that someone else was driving if it was true. Otherwise you just say the car of which you were an occupant.....
  • Hobbesy
    Finally received a reply, have refused my last appeal and still want £45 (discounted payment).

Shall I post the reply on here and if so any details I need to remove? Although the pictures attach show the car it doesn't show who the driver was.

Thanks
  • Hobbesy
    Not sure where to go from here, here is their reply

Having carefully considered the evidence provided by you we have decided to reject your appeal for
    the following reasons:
    !!!61623; The car park is operated by Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR). Cameras capture
    an image of vehicles entering and leaving the car park and calculate their length of stay on
    site.
    !!!61623; Signage is clear drivers must purchase a valid pay and display ticket for the full duration of
    their stay.
    !!!61623; A pay and display ticket matching your vehicle registration was purchased for £3.00 - this
    would have entitled your vehicle to park for up to 3 Hours according to the clearly displayed
    tariff.
    !!!61623; Your vehicle entered at 09:52:24 and exited at 13:21:35, a total stay of 3 hours and 29
    minutes.
    !!!61623; The P&D/permit purchased did not cover the date and time of parking and therefore the
    notice has been issued correctly and will remain payable.
    With regards to the reference to “Pre-Estimate of Loss/breach of consumer contracts 1999.”
    Please be advised that the Supreme Court has made judgement (04/11/15) that clearly sets
    out the issue of parking charge notices on private land (law of contract applies) and in
    particular pre-estimate of loss. The parking charge notice is enforceable on the basis that it
    protected a legitimate interest when the driver failed to adhere to the terms and conditions
    and was not extravagant, exorbitant nor unconscionable. The parking charge is not an
    unenforceable penalty and does not breach the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts
    Regulations 1999.
    - It’s the driver’s responsibility to check the signage prior to leaving the vehicle on site.
    - Contract Law Applies
    Please make payment of the discounted amount of £45.00 by visiting our website at
    or use the automated telephone service 0203 553 4559. Alternatively make
    your cheque payable to Euro Car Parks Limited (to include a £2.50 handling charge for cheque
  • KeithP
    Not sure where to go from here...

Why is that then?

Didn't that letter also tell you about the second level appeal to PoPLA, and supply a code allowing you to do that?

Use Euro car parks popla in the forum search facility, and select Show Posts, to see how others have coped.

Post #3 in the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread also offers good guidance on creating a PoPLA appeal.

What did Wetherspoons have to say?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport