Earthgirl's Final Battle

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 9,999 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Great that you have the prospect of a lodger!

My go-to for cheap/healthy and filling is overnight oats. There are endless variations, it's quick to make and portable in a kilner jar or similar.
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,874 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Great news about the lodger - hope it works out.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Jut called the student loans company because I have been paying for many years and I had eight years of a free payment agreement so really thought it'd be gone by now. They are the most difficult company to get an answer from but they do owe me money :T

I'm going to complain and try and get some compensation or interest but in terms of what they owe me even without that - over £2500 :eek:

I'm waiting for them to calculate it properly as it's got to be sorted by different departments but the assistant I spoke to said he couldn't see why the figure would change from £2500!

This will be a massive help towards my target.i just don't trust the SLC they are awful!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,160 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Good news on the pesky SLC.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Courgette
    Courgette Posts: 3,230 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Wow, win-win week for you! Sounds great! Really hope the lodger works out :)
    A reminder to myself: Persistence Pays Off ;):D :idea: :rotfl:
    Mortgage 1: [STRIKE]£95,000[/STRIKE] £78,900 at 3.1%
    Mortgage 2 (BTL): £83, 489.15 at 2.99% (I.O.)
    Savings (S&S ISA): £3000 Plus 6 months emergency savings earning 3%
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,874 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Oh, £2500 is a great win! Fingers crossed they haven't got the amount wrong.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• beanielou
    & push for the compensation.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have a lovely weekend EG and family :A

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks everybody!

I had a wierd experience on Friday as I was blocked in by a librarian in the library car park. She was quite aggressive when she finally moved her car. It was totally out of order, totally her fault and I had witnesses. I was going to complain but on the way back I thought "is time spent on that really going to help me get closer to my goals?" No it wouldn't - so I didn't spend any time on it. Need to prioritise more!

My boss also admitted she has made mistakes and wants to move forward from it - the closest to an apology I think I'll get, even though I'm owed so much more! But this is great as I do love my job and refuse to be bullied and unfairly treated. I'll still keep my notes going just in case.

In other good news, ds2 was great emotionally at his football class last night. Both have free activities today although one is a party so I'll organise present from stores.

Saving money:
    Groceries came in at £40. Every week I go through the receipt and look for ways to improve. This week I'm thinking of learning how to make my own mint tea as I have plants in the garden, this would save 75p every few weeks. Also, cooking a chicken on Thursday and using on Thursday, Friday night slow cooker curry/Spanish chicken/salsa chicken and then using the rest up on Sunday in pies and bakes. A full medium chicken will do us 3 meals, which will reduce my bill by £2.29 by reducing spend on diced chicken.
    Also I won't buy a chocolate donut again :) although it was pure heaven!

I have lost 7 pounds in 7 weeks so as long as it keeps going the right way I can have a Tiny treat now and again!

Income:
    Not having to pay student loans any more will mean we are about £155 better off per month in my pay.
    I also I have a small pay rise of £10 per month.
    I started working my weekend job this morning and didn't have any clients so it was half pay, but I managed to get a lot of administrative things done.
    I think it's going to be great :)

Feel really optimistic and happy as I've achieved loads already and the tide seems to be going my way again :) need to remember the ebbs and flows when I'm feeling up against it.
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • beanielou
    Good news I hope on your boss.
    Hope new job continues to be ok.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback