Help to keep me honest

Comments

• Good morning diary and all,
    Off to visit my mum today, long drive 3 hpurs each way. OH has been paid today, and I have sight of my pay so looks like we will be inside budget just and able to meet the target debt repayment this month. No news from DS, but apparently OH says he has new friends on Fbook so that's encouraging.
    Yesterdays spend - 30p on groceries for lunch.
    Aiming for a low/no-spend weekend, free cinema tickets from Nectar points will be the main entertainment!
    Have a great day all!
    Aiming to early retire in April 2025 - DC pension currently £345k 
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Have a good journey GHF , sounds like your on target for your DFD . DS will be having the time of his life far to busy to contract you ! It's very strange when they first go , he will be back soon with the obligatory washing .
  • Have a good journey GHF , sounds like your on target for your DFD . DS will be having the time of his life far to busy to contract you ! It's very strange when they first go , he will be back soon with the obligatory washing .

Hi Cumbria lass,
    You are so right about DS and the washing! It is strange, the house is very quiet, he is a musician and drummer so even more so :rotfl:.
  • Morning diary and all,
    Nice to see Mum yesterday. I need to visit her more often. She is in a nursing home near to my brother. She wasn’t as well yesterday as she has been.
    Spends from yesterday
    Petrol : £42.65
    Lunch : £4
    Hoping to go out this evening to use the free cinema vouchers and see ‘IT’.
    Have a great day all!
    DS rang yesterday, is having a great time on Freshers week. Very reassuring to hear that it is all going well. He may even visit us between now and Christmas.
    Went to see ‘It’ with OH on vouchers, great film.
    Spends from yesterday:
    Make up (OH not me!) - £20
    Groceries - £10
    Had a busy day yesterday doing this and that. Today we have started a new routine getting up a bit earlier so we have a start on the day. Probably need to go to bed earlier as well!
    The budget has just about balanced out and so I have made a repayment of £1250 this month. Five more payments and we will be debt free.
    Have a great day all!
  • Morning diary and all,
    Off to the dentist this morning for part 2 of the treatment and the bill which I will have to pay with the EF. Work is getting busy again. Still managing to take lunch in every day. Getting up earlier is helping with feeling a bit more in control.
    Have a great day all!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Sympathise without re the dentist, my EF is taking a hit as well to pay the bill. Maybe another savings pot to consider ?

I take lunch everyday saves a fortune . You made a very good repayment , you will soon be debt free. I bet your bills will come down with DS being at uni , especially your grocery bill.

Have you heard from him now ?
  • Sympathise without re the dentist, my EF is taking a hit as well to pay the bill. Maybe another savings pot to consider ?
    I take lunch everyday saves a fortune . You made a very good repayment , you will soon be debt free. I bet your bills will come down with DS being at uni , especially your grocery bill.
    Have you heard from him now ?
    Hi Cumbria lass,
    That’s a good idea for another savings pot. I seem to get a biggish dentist bill every couple of years so it is predictable, a bit like car maintenance! This one was £500 which has knocked a big hole in the EF. Yes, we are on target so fingers crossed that we will cross the finish line as planned. I think the grocery bill will come down now DS is at Uni, it certainly dropped when he was away over the summer. We have spoken to him at the weekend which was really nice and he seems to be having a great time and settling in well which is reassuring.
  • I have had some great news yesterday regarding a refund on a flight delay. I didn’t write about it at the time because it felt like a first world problem, ie poor me my flight was delayed whilst we were lucky enough to be able to afford a holiday. Anyway, our plane couldn’t land because of a technical fault and we were diverted to Athens. A big drama ensued, and we finally arrived at our holiday destination 24 hours later! This was a blow since we were only on a 7 night holiday. On our return I filed a complaint with the tour operator. This was back in July. Anyway, despite chasing them up and sending them all the info they had requested, I had heard nothing. At the weekend, we mentioned it to our friend who is also the travel agent who booked it for us. Yesterday, the tour operator contacted us with an offer of £740 , which is apparently 400 Euros each in line with European legislation!
    I’m not sure what to do with this money. Do I replace the EF which is looking a bit pitiful at a couple of hundred pounds? The debt buster in me says pay it straight to the debt. If I put it in the EF, the debt free day stays the same.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport