Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Another rough night with all the pets upstairs because of the storms, plus I found a big wet patch on my new cream carpet in the morning!

Dh is laying decking for the friend who helped us do our garden a few weeks ago, I think it will take all weekend though so he's not in the best of moods. My plan is to tackle the conservatory, it has a desk and computer that never gets used and is currently he dumping ground for tons of paperwork and all the airers. I usually avoid this room as it's a bit spidery and the clutter does not help, but today is the day it gets done , I want to start the school hols with a tidy house, I'm sure we won't finish the break with one though :rotfl:
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    It's Monday morning again already! The conservatory was cleared at the weekend after sorting out a shocking 8 bags of junk and paperwork. :o now it looks lovely again.

Dd is working for dh now , just one day a week. She normally gets £50 pocket money per month from us since she started college (although we pay the college bus and phone contract too) so I decided to reduce her £50 to £30, she is planning on saving half her wages so Is quite sensible. So I've set up direct debits for £10 pm for each of the three kids to go to their new isas with the savings made ( plus have recuced the gas/elec dd by £10 as we seem to be using less).

We are still working on the account everything to zero method on payday, the wages and child benefit go in and this basically equates exactly to the amount of direct debits / mortgage payments / holiday payments / car expenses/ and cash we draw out each week. So no room to overspend, this will only be the second month in a very long time we will be using this method, it's quite hard as the cash I'm drawing out pw is much reduced but it's the only way if we are doing to attempt to clear the mortgage in the remaining term.

I have booked a half hour at the local go karting track for ds1s birthday treat (ds2 didn't fancy it) it was a massive £20 for 30 mins each plus £3 booking fee :eek: unbelievably if I have booked it during the holidays it would have been much dearer but as it's Tuesday night after school finishes it's a lot cheaper. Ds 2 can't think of a single thing to do , so I said he can have an extra present instead. Still need to sort out birthday cakes and a balloon each :D

Oops waffling on when I should be up getting ready , hope everyone had a good weekend.
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • newgirly
    Oops not been around the last few days as it's been so hectic :o the boys birthday went well , they had the day they wanted : mc d's breakfast at home , a quick trip to the game store with birthday money and a pizza takeout for tea, very chilled out :D

We are off to see ub40 at the races today, I'm really looking forward to it. It seems strange not going away during the kids summer holidays , but it's quite nice having a few days out to look forward to.

It's been so busy that we've been paid yesterday and not even done the money shuffle yet , back later when the house is clean :D
  • Alchemilla
    Alchemilla Posts: 6,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    If you completely ignore the animals in a storm they get over their fear.

I would have the dog in bed but DH draws the line!!
  • newgirly
    She is hard to ignore though alchem as she wakes the whole house up barking, she only sleeps on the floor though never the bed - that's for my cat, oh and also dh :rotfl:

It's update time :j

I can't use the laptop and the iPad won't let me do colours so this is so the update is easy to find!

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Start balance from 19th April

£171,401.58

Made up of-
    £145,896.57 mortgage
    £12,037.00 loft loan
    £8,765.51 mbna cc
    £4,702.50 fluid cc

End balance 26th July

£156,999.50

Made up of-
    £144,198 mortgage
    £0 loft loan :D
    £8,238.67 mbna
    £4,562.83 fluid cc

So a reduction of :£ 14,402.08
    The loft loan (£12,037 ) came from dhs inheritance , plus he gave the kids £1000 each. So a real payment reduction of £2365.08

Other savings / payments made from wages were:

£1,000 emergency fund
    £914 deposit for centerparcs holiday next summer
    £150 premium bonds
    £232 for the balance of our butlins Xmas break
    £50 cash saved for spending money for centerparcs next year , ditto £50 towards butlins at Xmas.

Total £2396

It's not a bad few months, it's great that we could clear the loft loan, but the best feeling has been the first op made today of £1400 off the mortgage :j we have paid not a lot more than that off in total n the last couple of years so it feels great. From now on that will be the monthly op if we can stick to it - now it's officially 7 years 9 months to the end of the term :D
  • Great post to read :):)

Tilly x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Fabulous news NG :)
    Credit card £4461.15Home mortgage £137117Buy to let mortgage £83,000
  • Alchemilla
    Well done.x
  • newgirly
    Thanks everyone :) I did tell dh about the big oping starting again but to be honest he is pleased but after 19 years of me droning on about financial plans he has switched off :rotfl:

Ub40 was Good Friday , I loved seeing them however all the drunken dressed up idiots of the world had come to see them at the same time, it was packed and by the end of the evening apparently there were loads of "ladies" relieving themselves at the men's urinals :eek: but we did have a nice picnic , good music and a couple of cocktails so a successful day.

Today the plan is to take the kids out for lunch as a family treat for the boys birthday, probably to the pub in the village we used to live in where they do good food cheap, last time dd had burger chips and a drink for £4.79. It will have to come out of this weeks food budget so I'll have to cut back on food shopping.

I got my approved food delivery on Friday, including about 24 cans of black olives for £1 , not sure what to do with those really, plus casserole mixes 12 for £1 and some pastry and cookie mixes, I must get cooking properly this week :D
  • Alchemilla
    We put olives in pasta. On pizza. Make tapenade.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback