Cleaning up credit file - will my score go up

I used MSE club and also noddle today and noticed that i have defaults for around 8 accounts and maybe 3-4 providers, so i contacted them and sent info to them, email of discharge letter and screenshots of the defaults.

they show defaults applied as of last month, and this is despite being BR in mid 2016 and then discharged a year later. so am i right in thinking they SHOULD take these off, and would they go from 2016 when made BR or just the discharge date? and would my score jump up any / much once they take them off and mark it as "settled / satisfied" as a lot of the other providers included on the BR seemed to do sharpish

i have a "bad credit" card and pay off in full etc, and a virgin account (tv, bb etc) and also a mobile phone contract (ee), again all paid off in full.

thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Your score is a largely random number and not connected to your credit worthiness. It may go up, down or stay the same. It generally drops with any significant change. Ignore it.

The fewer negatives on your file, the better lenders will view you.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi db2016

For any debt included in your bankruptcy, the default should not be registered any later than the debt you were made bankrupt. You can ask all the creditors to amend the default dates, and if they won't make a complaint. You can take this on to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) if necessary.

In terms of your credit score, every lender will have their own way to credit score you and your credit history is one factor they will look at so it is best that that the information is accurate. The debts will also be removed from your credit file 6 years after the date of the default so it is a good idea to make sure they've been registered on the correct date. I hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    many thanks, thats very helpful, i wasnt sure if it was just the discharge date they go on, but either way, i'd still have them marked as "settled" etc. and as i say, i have a couple of credit items such as tv, phone and a credit builder card and they are fine and paid etc, so anything else i can do it get more positives, the better!
    Hi db2016

For any debt included in your bankruptcy, the default should not be registered any later than the debt you were made bankrupt. You can ask all the creditors to amend the default dates, and if they won't make a complaint. You can take this on to the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) and Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) if necessary.

In terms of your credit score, every lender will have their own way to credit score you and your credit history is one factor they will look at so it is best that that the information is accurate. The debts will also be removed from your credit file 6 years after the date of the default so it is a good idea to make sure they've been registered on the correct date. I hope this helps.

Susie
    @natdebtline
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The BR will remain visible on your credit history for 6 years from the date of your BR.so there isn't much more you can do until that drops off.
    However, excellent squeaky clean financial management form now on will give the best possible outcomes when the 6 years are up. It is possible to get credit before the 6 years (if you really want it..?!) but its unlikely to be a competitive interest rate.
  • LesCats
    LesCats Posts: 8 Forumite
    People say you need to use credit cards to get a good credit score but I don't and mine is excellent
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Nobody says that.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    LesCats wrote: »
    People say you need to use credit cards to get a good credit score but I don't and mine is excellent

A credit card where you spend and pay off in full every month boosts your credit RATING as it shows you are responsible. The "score" is made up, it is not seen by any lender nor is your application for credit done based on this mythical score.

A credit card gives you additional s75 protection and can offer things like cashback or balance transfers to boost your oncome
  • db2016
    wrote to halifax and emailed a couple of other companies. wonga seems to be dragging heels, they wanted a discharge notice and screenshot of the defaults which i sent.

then they now want proof wonga account was on the BR, so ive just logged into the system and sent them screenshots of that!

the other company seemed to be fine and said no problem, wait 30-45 days, and halifax have recieved the signed for info i sent off yday, so they shouldnt be long in contacting
  • db2016
    any advice on how to proceed, wonga are taking the P!, they seem to be dragging heels, i have other lenders who have said basically, "no problem give us 30days" etc.

they are now saying the following (despite having a copy of the discharge notice which has the BR and discharge dates on and then i sent them the actual BR application page showing them wonga were included on the BR).

"Thank you for your recent communication about reporting your data to the credit reference agencies.

As a responsible lender, we are required to report accurate information to the credit reference agencies. This means accurately reporting every loan application, settled loan and, in some cases, issues with an account.

Our privacy policy, terms and conditions, and website describe how each loan is subject to a credit check and how reporting will be made in respect of each loan.

We are not responsible for how lenders who use the reported data make decisions in relation to credit scoring. Other lenders set their own credit policy that we cannot influence. We are unable to remove any searches, footprints or defaults that have been applied correctly from your file, however, if you believe that any searches, footprints or defaults have been incorrectly applied by us, please contact xxxxx"

any other lender as i say has said were sorry and yes give us 30-45days and we will update etc

T.i.a.
  • Sorry if i have hijacked the thread but im new to this forum posting. I was made bankrupt in april 2012 so my six years was up last month. Upon sorting my credit file out last year to start rebuilding my score with a credit card i found a CCJ from july 2013 for a debt that was included in the bankruptcy. I got in contact with santander who the ccj was from and informed them of this and they told me to speak to the court who issued it as its not up to them to remove it. I got in contact with the court and gave them all the paperwork regarding the ccj and proved that it was included in the bankruptcy. The case was apparently put in front of a judge who said he couldnt remove the ccj because it hasnt been paid but they would send me a letter saying that it shouldnt be on there which im yet to recieve. I have spoken to the offical reciever who said they couldnt do anything either. Does anyone know what more i can do because its going to affect me for another year and surely it cant be on my file otherwise all the debtors could of done that up until april. Thanks in advance
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure