Travelling On

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,532 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    :j:j:j:j:j:j

Thank-you for mentioning that survey ladies! I've finally reached payout & am stupidly happy!

I think now I will give YG a break from my enlightened opinions :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: as they should be worth more than the paltry amount earned after all those years!;):D

the bay of 'e' & magical magpie might be the next steps to reclaiming some cash...shall have a ponder...

For the YG history (on a pc)...
    *click on my account in the leftmost column, third tab down
    *scroll to the bottom of the page where it says my history
    *keep clicking on show my activity until it won't load anymore, this should show all your activity, including payouts, in reverse chronological order
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    RT, you too :j:j:j Congratulations!

:bdaycake: This is not a cake, this is a tropical fruit salad.

I'll check out that tab, but does that include the surveys too? I might lose the will to live, but I'll give it a go (after my afternoon gardening session, I've been watching Tudor/Victorian Country Farm :o:o:o I can press a button while I watch that :o
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    RT :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,255 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Karmcat~~well done you :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • earthgirl
    earthgirl Posts: 3,762 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Well done reaching payout, I am miles away. Hear a lot about SB but I found that to be draining and not so worthwhile - is it better now?

Go Karma, gardening in the morning!

I have taken a leaf out of your book and do 15 mins a day (i know you do more but it sounded ok to my brain!).
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    I did a few weeks of SB and got to £5 paid out a few times :) I found I got a bit carried away when I should have been doing other things so I stopped it :o It's nice having £5 payouts though, they rack up quite quickly :j

Well done RT!

Ooh KC I LOVE the Victorian farm series (and Edwardian, and war time, and tudor monastery) :D I pretty much just want to BE Ruth Goodman :D I saw her do a talk once and she had on the most excellent shoes :D
  • Karmacat
    beanielou wrote: »
    Karmcat~~well done you :j :j :j
    Thanks beanie :) I was exhausted by the evening, but of course I was navvying for two hours, so not surprising!
    earthgirl wrote: »
    Well done reaching payout, I am miles away. Hear a lot about SB but I found that to be draining and not so worthwhile - is it better now?
    I did it once and abandoned it too, earthgirl. This time, I started it while I still wasn't well physically, so I had to sit around anyway. I centre on the "to do" list, and take tips from the thread on here. I'm quite manipulative about it, and the points are what matter, nothing else :D
    Go Karma, gardening in the morning!

I have taken a leaf out of your book and do 15 mins a day (i know you do more but it sounded ok to my brain!).
    Thanks! I do more *now*, yes, but when I was working, it was indeed 15 minutes :)
    I did a few weeks of SB and got to £5 paid out a few times :) I found I got a bit carried away when I should have been doing other things so I stopped it :o It's nice having £5 payouts though, they rack up quite quickly :j
    Now I'm used to it, I get £20 a month or so, in wodges of £10, as thats least work for most voucher. It's probably not a good use of time for you, Cheery, being fitter/in employment etc
    Ooh KC I LOVE the Victorian farm series (and Edwardian, and war time, and tudor monastery farm :D I pretty much just want to BE Ruth Goodman :D I saw her do a talk once and she had on the most excellent shoes :D
    Isn't she great :j:j:j

I really wish I'd gone with my gut in my late 30s, and bought a place with land, and not gone the therapeutic route. Maybe not as much as you, but of that order, since I'd have done it on my own. I love the low-impact route of doing things: I was at Quebec House recently, where General Wolf (Canadian Wars) was brought up, and the kitchen fascinated me, they used a feather as a pastry brush, and a scallop shell as a nutmeg grater. You just can't beat that :j:j:j
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,710 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh, I'd not heard of Quebec House. I love seeing an insight into how people did everyday things in the past though :j

It's so hard to know whether to follow your gut in that situation though isn't it? We wibbled back and forth for quite a while and when we moved still weren't *quite* convinced it was the right decision... When you don't really know what to expect it's really hard to know whether you're doing the right thing. And you never quite know how it's going to turn out whatever you do.

We spend a LOT of time wheelbarrowing, scything, shifting stones etc, and we'd be completely stuck without a car - so we're just having to shut our eyes and hope neither of us becomes incapacitated any time soon :eek: Also the bulk of the mortgage comes from my salary - what if I get laid off? We'd just about manage it on two full time minimum wages - but then what happens to all the wall building, grass cutting, etc? Quite a leap of faith...

Of course, there have been good things we'd not imagined too. Nothing has to happen *right now*, our neighbours are lovely and really helpful when faced with a couple of townie novices :D

I may have said this already, but I once read a lovely post on here, a long time ago, and I was glad I hand wrote it out because I've never been able to find it again (and now can't find the hand written version :rotfl: ) It was a woman who said she'd always wanted to move to the countryside, but had never been able to for various reasons. On her birthday one year she sat and wrote down what her ideal country life would look like - making jam, going for walks, identifying wild flowers, joining in with little local events, knowing her neighbours, eating breakfast in the garden etc - and then made it her resolution to spend the year doing those things where she lived now.

I thought that was so lovely, and that's what I did when I lived in the city :j Had a go at making cheese, jam, soap, knitting dishcloths, growing herbs and a teensy bit of veg, joining in with the community garden, reading books about countryside living etc.

All that stuff is coming in quite useful now :rotfl:

(Sorry, hijacking :o ) But yes, Ruth Goodman is cool :D
  • Karmacat
    I may have said this already, but I once read a lovely post on here, a long time ago, and I was glad I hand wrote it out because I've never been able to find it again (and now can't find the hand written version :rotfl: ) It was a woman who said she'd always wanted to move to the countryside, but had never been able to for various reasons. On her birthday one year she sat and wrote down what her ideal country life would look like - making jam, going for walks, identifying wild flowers, joining in with little local events, knowing her neighbours, eating breakfast in the garden etc - and then made it her resolution to spend the year doing those things where she lived now.
    Oh Cheery, that sort of brought a tear to my eye :j

I've quoted it on its own, because you're right, it's utterly beautiful.
  • Karmacat
    I'm also really interested to read the rest of your post - the decision making, the concerns, yes, they're very real, aren't they. Lovely to hear the sense of community is still alive and well, and welcoming. Now that I'm getting better, I'm building the bones of a little "homestead" here, I hope, as well as living the life of a still-fairly-young retiree :):):)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure