Cities most worth visiting in 'Eastern' Europe?

Comments

• Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    phatbear wrote: »
    Oh and my input, other than the above fascinating info is Krakow, Budapest and Talinn.

I'm heading to Tallinn this summer, any tips?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Another vote her for Bosnia. Old town in Sarajevo is absolutely gorgeous and there's plenty of sightseeing to do. Mostar is also worth a visit (you can get the train from Sarajevo).

I've been to Sarajevo many times and made many wonderful memories. Food is great, people are lovely, stunning architecture and always something to do/see.

I'd love to got Sarajevo but there are no direct flights sadly, and I don't have enough time off to lose a day to connections!

Come on airlines, get a direct flight on the books, it'll be well used!
  • Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm heading to Tallinn this summer, any tips?

Try and avoid the Old Town when the cruise ships are in port. It gets really crowded. Ask at your hotel and they should be able to advise you on the best times to visit (we stayed at the St Petersburgh hotel - wonderful)!
    Normal people worry me.
  • PompeyPete
    PompeyPete Posts: 7,126
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Shikakui wrote: »
    In Slovenia: Ljubljana, Lake Bled
    In Romania: Sibiu, Brasov
    In Macedonia: Ohrid

Going to Ohrid in 2 weeks time, after 4 nights in Skopje. A week by Lake Ohrid, then on to Bitola.

Sibiu and Brasov in June. Doing a circular self guided train tour of Transylvania.
  • PompeyPete
    Forumite
    I'd love to got Sarajevo but there are no direct flights sadly, and I don't have enough time off to lose a day to connections!

Come on airlines, get a direct flight on the books, it'll be well used!

We got to Sarajevo by flying to Croatia [Split], bus to Mostar, train to Sarajevo.

It's well worth investing a bit more time, and see more of the area.
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921
    Forumite
    PompeyPete wrote: »
    We got to Sarajevo by flying to Croatia [Split], bus to Mostar, train to Sarajevo.

It's well worth investing a bit more time, and see more of the area.
    Where did you fly from and who with please?
  • BillTrac
    BillTrac Posts: 1,869
    Forumite
    Just like PompeyPete, thoroughly recommend Transylvania. Have done it in both the summer and over a new Year.

New Year - four feet of snow and -28(have the pictures) but nothing stops them.
    Summer - 35 degrees and green.

Beautiful country, lovely people and cheap.

Croatia is another. I've stayed in Cavtat and it's a small boat ride away from Dubrovnik. Easy drive into Montenegro (apart from the queues at the crossing - both ways) and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
  • PompeyPete
    Forumite
    Barny1979 wrote: »
    Where did you fly from and who with please?

From Gatwick with easyJet @ £101.50 each return including 20kg each. Went last September.

Stayed in a small studio for 2 nights near Split Old Town. Had a full day out to Hvar by ferry.

Bus to Mostar [3.5 hours]. 4 nights in Mostar.

Train to Sarajevo [2.5 hours]. 6 nights in Sarajevo.

Retraced our steps to Split.

All accommodation booked on Booking.com, making sure that the accommodation was central but within a short distance from transport hubs.

Very simple to arrange.
  • Thank you Shikakui, we are definitely doing Slovenia and Romania (as much as we can!) Will have to take a better look at Macedonia.. so many places, not enough time! :(
  • Ah this sounds like the route we're looking at taking to Sarajevo, PompeyPete. So many people have recommended the city to us, we're kind of detouring to see it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure