Work colleague block booking desired holiday dates

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    inglorius wrote: »
    I'm afraid you are giving them too much credit, I did discuss this with them and they couldn't see how selfish their actions were. They do not have children the motivator being that they complained they only get statutory holidays which isn't enough so to stretch them they take all bank holiday weeks off so use 4 days leave to get a weeks holiday.
    Bank holidays are included in statutory.

Remember your manager could turn around and tell you that you must use your annual leave on specific, non consecutive, days.
  • NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430
    Forumite
    I'm afraid you are giving them too much credit, I did discuss this with them and they couldn't see how selfish their actions were. They do not have children the motivator being that they complained they only get statutory holidays which isn't enough so to stretch them they take all bank holiday weeks off so use 4 days leave to get a weeks holiday.

That wasn’t clear at all from your OP.

Basically, you said you had a conversation with them today, you told them they were selfish - you then complained two rungs up the food chain.

I’m not, honestly, surprised that that person wasn’t too interested. They’d expect two managers to sort it out between them - especially, as the problem only arose today.

Have another go over a cuppa
  • inglorius
    inglorius Posts: 158 Forumite
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Bank holidays are included in statutory.

Remember your manager could turn around and tell you that you must use your annual leave on specific, non consecutive, days.

Sorry should have clarified they have a grievance with the number of non bank holidays they have which is 20 days their previous company gave them 25.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Sorry should have clarified they have a grievance with the number of non bank holidays they have which is 20 days their previous company gave them 25.

It doesnt matter. They are still only taking 4 days AL, same as everyone else in that situation. Those who work get a nice short work week and a long weekends, she's just stringing the two together.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229
    Forumite

Just to clarify they didn't have 25, they had 33 days, and were told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

You have 28, not 20. but are told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

Bank holidays hold no special meaning in terms of annual leave
  • inglorius
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Just to clarify they didn't have 25, they had 33 days, and were told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

You have 28, not 20. but are told to take 8 on the bank holidays.

Bank holidays hold no special meaning in terms of annual leave

No sorry we both have 28 days, in their previous employment my peer got 33 days which has always been a gripe to them combined with the fact that other managers get 33 days. Their strategy therefore was to book all the bank holiday weeks off to stretch their allowance so they book only 4 of their floating days and have 5 days off.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    No sorry we both have 28 days, in their previous employment my peer got 33 days which has always been a gripe to them combined with the fact that other managers get 33 days. Their strategy therefore was to book all the bank holiday weeks off to stretch their allowance so they book only 4 of their floating days and have 5 days off.

But they dont get any more days off that way! Aaaaaargh.

Everyone still gets the same!
  • Timpu
    Timpu Posts: 310
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    They do not have children the motivator being that they complained they only get statutory holidays which isn't enough so to stretch them they take all bank holiday weeks off so use 4 days leave to get a weeks holiday.

Would all be tickety boo if children were involved?

OP, I'd sit down with your colleague again and see if something that can be worked out. I'd say something like "I really would like x week off so I can do y, would you perhaps take the following/prior week off instead so we can both benefit from the public holiday?" If that doesn't work, book adjacent weeks off and enjoy yourself.
  • inglorius
    But they dont get any more days off that way! Aaaaaargh.

Everyone still gets the same!

Agreed but their thinking is that they only have 20 floating days which is 4 weeks so if they tack holidays at the end of a Bank Holiday then they will save a day every week to use at another time and still get a full weeks holiday each time.
  • demiruss
    demiruss Posts: 56 Forumite
    If you snooze, you lose :p Have you got anything planned for these bank holiday dates yourself? If it was me I would just ask them next week if they'd consider alternating them, which is reasonable. If they refused, I'd remember the next time they asked for a favour.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure