Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,160 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Have a lovely weekend Grayling and friends:)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Pizza...

Wedges...

Curry...

Phew - all is right with the world once more!

:D:D:D

(OH has asked that I pass on that this week as we are on staycation, we will be doing an eat from the freezer & storecupboard challenge - better yet it was his idea ;) - he's rather proud of himself ladies so applause all round please ;););))
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • rtandon27 wrote: »
    Pizza...

Wedges...

Curry...

Phew - all is right with the world once more!

:D:D:D

*snort* :rotfl:

rtandon27 wrote: »

(OH has asked that I pass on that this week as we are on staycation, we will be doing an eat from the freezer & storecupboard challenge - better yet it was his idea ;) - he's rather proud of himself ladies so applause all round please ;););))

:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T:T :D

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £132.08/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • joeyjimbles
    joeyjimbles Posts: 2,216 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for understanding Greying, I knew you would - its the same with cooking potatoes when everything else is just reheating and everyone is prowling. Sometimes they just sulk and will not cook.
    On this occasion, it was pappardelle and there are apparently 5 nanoseconds between cooked and slime. I got it reduced in Aldee and I don't think I'll bother again, not a patch on the bronze wotsit version earlier in the year. Fortunately I was so hungry, I snatched it out before anyone could even hint at al dente and a quick slosh in the pan with the 'sauce' and it was tender and pretty tasty. Though I suspect almost anything would have been. Must make an effort to make my home-made ready meals again.
    NF 05.24 £18.00/£00.00 £72.00/£72.00

LD 11.24 £500.00/£325.00 (65%)     INS 12.24 £600.00/£000.00
    Renewal 24 £400.00/£403.00      Renewal 25 £450.00/£060.00 (13%)    
    Avch 08.24 £100.00/£025.00       NPt 12.24 £250.00/£083.00
    FD £3600.00/£1200.00                 X24 £1500.00/£0600.00

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Greying - have you given MrL seasoned wedges a go? OH somehow slipped some in our last shop & I found them in the freezer today. As they were only 65p, they didn't draw attention to themselves when I looked at the bill! My oh my were they tasty & crisped up nicely in the oven!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,689 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh, they sound tasty :j I am usually plagued with soggy wedges, but I suspect that's because I can't bring myself to use that much oil :o

I have been cooking though Greying :j :j You are my inspiration :D I got Jack Monroe's book out of the library and made falafels for tea (which were tasty enough but I made a right mess :o ) and now I'm making crackerbreads and baba ganoush for lunch tomorrow :D Again, both seem to have made an unholy mess in the kitchen :o

Ah well :D

Hope you're having a jolly weekend x
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 9:24AM
    Good Morning :hello:

We're up for a slow start here at the towers :D
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Greying - have you given MrL seasoned wedges a go?

No hun, I haven't. I'll keep an eye out for them. DH usually goes to mrL as it saves fuel and multi-journeying. But I do like to have a 'look' when I go in there, so I'll see if they have them. Thanks for the recommendation.

I have been cooking though Greying :j :j You are my inspiration :D I got Jack Monroe's book out of the library and made falafels for tea (which were tasty enough but I made a right mess :o ) and now I'm making crackerbreads and baba ganoush for lunch tomorrow :D

YAY! :j Is that her original cookbook, or the second one? I'm assuming that her 3rd, which is self-published, isn't out yet? (mcculloch would be able to tell us), Not too sure how they get into the library system either?

So I made curry last night. And purely by coincidence, I made 2 curries that were relatively mild, but had flavour. It was nice to have simplicity in food - without blandness - if you know what i mean. It was purely fluke, as i was using up what I had, so I made Sabut Masoor dhal (masoor dhal are red lentils that haven't had their 'brown' jackets removed, so 'brown lentils') from The Three Sisters Indian cookbook. I can't find a link to the exact recipe on the web, but a similar one is HERE. I teamed it up with saag aloo (spinach and potato) curry from the Hairy Bikers Curry book. And if the gal who's blog I've linked to, isn't a MSE'r, well then she ought to be :DSaag Aloo :D served with basmati rice and a small (I know it looks big - it's the angle) dollop of yoghurt and some nigella seeds. Picture here;

164_zpsunaizjfb.jpg

The saag aloo used up the last of the frozen spinach (2 for £1) from fArm f00ds and the last of the YS'd M&$ potatoes. I have plenty of brown lentils in the store cupboard, and everything else was in the store cupboard/spice rack/fridge. So it achieved my aim of using up and not buying more :D

Hopefully we'll get to take a butty for a wander somewhere today :D I've not thought what's for tea - I think the planner says 'bake'. I'll concoct something :D

Right, i hear tears, so I'd best go and rescue DH from Baby Greying ;)

Ta for popping in, reading and joining in. I greatly appreciated it. Thank you :D

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,689 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Hi Greying :hello: the book I've got is the original "girl called jack" one. I was rooting about on the website yesterday and I believe the self published one will be out this month to people who signed up for the kickstarter, and published after christmas and in the shops for the rest of us in the new year :) I believe when people signed up for the kickstarter they could donate copies to libraries too amd plenty of them have :)

Your curry looks proper tasty :j I don't know what I was thinking with my baba ganoush as I really am NOT fan of tinned tomatoes, especially cold :eek: but it was passable :D and Mr Cheery seems to be demolishing the rest of it anyway :rotfl: :D
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 9 October 2016 at 9:21PM
    Good Evening :hello:

Cheery you are one up on me - I've never even attempted to make baba ganoush! Oh bravo to people donating new copies of books to libraries - now you mention it, I'm pretty sure mcculloch donated either a 'Jack' or a 'Jamie' to either her local library or foodbank - bravo to the community spirited :T

We have had a lovely day :D But DH is wondering whether he may have picked up a speeding ticket :( No doubt about it, the limit was 30mph, and he was doing above - not massively, but..... The thing is, that the 'community' sign wasn't up the way that we entered into the village, but it was up on the speed sign when we came back (the other way) - by which time the detector van had gone. Was it only measuring speeding motorists from one way? Still, our car was in the wrong, so time will tell.

We did some bits and bobs around the house. Little jobs, that get neglected, but in turn take time, so we're still feeling like we are playing 'catch up'. Still, we are now a household 3/4 lit by LED bulbs and today's task was to replace the pendulum thingy in the other bedroom, as the one that was attached to the ceiling had exposed wires :eek:

We took a sanger and a flask of coffee to the local natty trusty place. The car park was absolutely heaving, but luckily, it is such that folks go for very specific reasons, which means that masses all spread out. We like to go into the garden, and less folk are apt to go there, so it remains quite peaceful. It was lovely in the sunshine, just the right temperature :D

On the way back we called in at mrAl. I picked up some parsnips from the S6, and also a couple of pumpkins, an 'acorn' one and a 'Crown Prince'. They were 89p each - significantly cheaper than elsewhere, not massive, but ok for the price. They are for eating, not for carving :D They had a number of varieties - including the potimarron/onion squash if anyone is interested :D A young lady who was shopping with her mother (Mum had popped off to get something else) allowed me to go in the queue at the checkouts, in front of her. OK, so they had a trolley to unload, and I only had a few items, but never the less, it was a lovely thing for her to have done. Bravo for our young people :T

We then popped across to mrL, so i am now a wumman in possession of potato wedges - go me! The bag is 750g - and as rtandon said, 65p. I look forward to trying them :D

The idea for tea came to me as i was looking through the freezer. I had the remainder of a bag of broad beans (fArm f00ds), and I knew i had some dried cranberries in the storecupboard, so 'Broad Bean Kuku' kinda chose itself! I also had a small pot of cooked rice in the freezer, which I was grateful for, when it finally came time to prep the dish, as I had forgotten it was needed and wouldn't have had time to cook up a fresh batch, without us subsequently eating at 11pm!

I use Yotam's recipe, but the method isn't on the internet, so basically, if you are interested in making this dish yourself, find the ingredient list HERE and instructions on how to make Kuku (albeit a different 'flavour') HERE. I didn't have saffron and I don't have access to barberries. I improvise with turmeric and cranberries (soaked to plump them up). Picture here;

273_zpshx8llehs.jpg

I served it with carrots and (frozen) broccoli and the very last of the wilja potatoes (gifted by the gardening parental), and a dollop of coleslaw. It has made enough portions for anothe meal and used up things that I already had in stock. Nothing 'new' was purchased for this meal. The only minor niggle was that DH cracked the pyrex (ceramic) dish when washing up, so I'm one baking dish down :( It didn't cost the earth - got it from tkmaxx i think, but it was a good size. Ah well, can't be helped.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

all the nice people I know and those that I encountered today :D

being serenaded by a robin in a garden :D

texts, emails and 'chat'app
    s :D

Thanks for popping by, reading and commenting. There are days when I just feel I must be the most blessed individual on this planet. Thank you for contributing to that feeling.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,160 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    We are lucky to have you:)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure