Sky Q selling tactics

Hi there guys, I could really do with some advice please.

I am a sky customer snd have been for around 10 years. Around 18 months ago sky offered me sky entertainment, HD, kids and box sets for around £23 a month. I took this and then later added sky movies for an additional £10.

My sky hasnt been working properly for some time, the picture is glitchy, downloads are slow and more often than not fail and some channels simply don't work. When a cloud comes into the sky the picture fails all together. When I went through the troubleshooting process on sky's website its said i needed an engineer but as my box was outside of their quarantee I would have to pay for the engineer visit.

I contacted sky to see if they could waive the fee. They said i couldn't waive the fee but I could get an offer to upgrade to sky Q which comes with free engineer visits. I told them I couldn't afford sky Q right now as I had recently been made redundant. Additionally, the previous offer of cheaper sky was ending (but the contract with sky enterntainment was not ending yet) so I would be paying £12 a month more from the next month. I explained this to the sky agent and said i may be able to afford it if they gave me the £12 off discount again (this was made up of sky kids, HD and box sets at £1 each instead of £5 each). The agent said they would be able to do this, all I had to do was call up again 31 days before the change and ask them to renew the offer.

With this in mind I signed up to sky q and noted the day to call up again as it was only a few days away. Once the day to call them came I messaged them and explained what had been discussed. The agent said he understood and gave me a number to call to 'get the discount we discussed'.

I called up and was told there was no discount or any offers available to me. The agent nervously said that other agents shouldn't offer out discounts and that there was nothing he could do. He then said he could drop £3 off my movies IF I sign up again for 18months. Feeling on the spot I agreed and to recoup some of the extra costs of sky Q I dropped the HD part of my package.

Since then I complained to Sky saying I didn't agree with their sales tactics and that the first agent should have told me it wasn't guaranteed. They emailed me saying theilr values team wanted to call me. When they did get in touch they simply said that I had all the offers I could have and so could not help me further. They said they were unable to drop my costs any further and that the matter was resolved. I don't believe this to be true as they usually haggle and give people discounts that aren't their normal deals.

I feel that they were very underhand with their sales and then are fobbing me off. Any advice please guys? I am still in the cooling off period but ultimately would like to keep the sky but it's the principle of it.

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Haggling is never guaranteed and technically speaking nobody has a right to a discount, they're just handed out to retain custom and reduce the churn rate.

Has your signal issue gone now that you're on SkyQ? The signal on any satellite platform shouldn't completely disappear just because there's a tiny little cloud in the sky, it should take a monsoon and/or thunderstorm to block it - unless your dish was in line of sight behind something else and was already impaired? The symptoms you've posted (apart from download speed which is a potential ISP issue) are all symptoms of a faulty LNB.

Your moving to Q is a new contract and so any previous deals you had were null and void. If you genuinely have a cooling off period, use it and get rid of it if you're not happy. Wait a year or so and you may find you a) don't miss it, or b) you can get an even better deal as a brand new customer.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Not strictly relevant - but isn't HD automatic with Sky Q ?? Thought you had to pay extra to get UHD?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thought you had to pay extra to get UHD?

You need the 2 tb box and also a multiroom sub but no further charge
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 2 September 2019 at 9:40AM
    Karen22 wrote: »
    Hi there guys, I could really do with some advice please.

I am a sky customer snd have been for around 10 years. Around 18 months ago sky offered me sky entertainment, HD, kids and box sets for around £23 a month. I took this and then later added sky movies for an additional £10.

My sky hasnt been working properly for some time, the picture is glitchy, downloads are slow and more often than not fail and some channels simply don't work. When a cloud comes into the sky the picture fails all together. When I went through the troubleshooting process on sky's website its said i needed an engineer but as my box was outside of their quarantee I would have to pay for the engineer visit.

I contacted sky to see if they could waive the fee. They said i couldn't waive the fee but I could get an offer to upgrade to sky Q which comes with free engineer visits. I told them I couldn't afford sky Q right now as I had recently been made redundant. Additionally, the previous offer of cheaper sky was ending (but the contract with sky enterntainment was not ending yet) so I would be paying £12 a month more from the next month. I explained this to the sky agent and said i may be able to afford it if they gave me the £12 off discount again (this was made up of sky kids, HD and box sets at £1 each instead of £5 each). The agent said they would be able to do this, all I had to do was call up again 31 days before the change and ask them to renew the offer.

With this in mind I signed up to sky q and noted the day to call up again as it was only a few days away. Once the day to call them came I messaged them and explained what had been discussed. The agent said he understood and gave me a number to call to 'get the discount we discussed'.

I called up and was told there was no discount or any offers available to me. The agent nervously said that other agents shouldn't offer out discounts and that there was nothing he could do. He then said he could drop £3 off my movies IF I sign up again for 18months. Feeling on the spot I agreed and to recoup some of the extra costs of sky Q I dropped the HD part of my package.

Since then I complained to Sky saying I didn't agree with their sales tactics and that the first agent should have told me it wasn't guaranteed. They emailed me saying theilr values team wanted to call me. When they did get in touch they simply said that I had all the offers I could have and so could not help me further. They said they were unable to drop my costs any further and that the matter was resolved. I don't believe this to be true as they usually haggle and give people discounts that aren't their normal deals.

I feel that they were very underhand with their sales and then are fobbing me off. Any advice please guys? I am still in the cooling off period but ultimately would like to keep the sky but it's the principle of it.

Are you sure you're in a cooling off period? If so then put a cancellation request in. That is the only way you get a decent offer. Your problem is that you keep agreeing to things on the phone without considering the whole deal.
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Not strictly relevant - but isn't HD automatic with Sky Q ?? Thought you had to pay extra to get UHD?

No, HD is still an add-on (£5 full price). Sky Sports HD is free with a Sports subscription which is probably what you're thinking of. UHD is 'free' if you have a multi-room sub @ £13 a month extra and a 2TB box but shockingly you don't get HD with that (unless somethings changed).
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No, HD is still an add-on (£5 full price). Sky Sports HD is free with a Sports subscription which is probably what you're thinking of. UHD is 'free' if you have a multi-room sub @ £13 a month extra and a 2TB box but shockingly you don't get HD with that (unless somethings changed).

That's truly appalling - that they can sell Sky Q as an "upgrade" -but still demand extra for HD:eek:
  • No use now, but for future reference, you should have told Sky you couldn't afford the charge for the repair so cancel the service. That would have got a free repair.

Or, you could have bought a serviceable Sky HD box from the likes of Cash Converters for £10/£15.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • niktheguru
    niktheguru Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you enter into any new contract with sky (either by taking a channel package, upgrading to q, taking a discount) then you are fixing yourself in to not getting a discount REGARDLESS of what the operator says to do.

The classical sky ploy is they will get you to sign into an 18 month contract for sky q, and if you have a discount on your channels that finishes in the middle of it they will advise "just ring up 30 days before and they will extend it or give you a different offer", THEY WON'T. You are tied into a q contract so you CANT leave sky (you cant even pay a early disconnection charge, you just have to pay the whole contract up if you actually want to leave, but can downgrade to the lowest package and then pay that up)

If you want to get q and are in a contract the easiest thing is to wait till your discount ends and negotiate the whole thing together. Don't take a 12 month reduction on an 18month contract, as you will pay virtually full price for the last 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure