Week in the sun on my own

2»

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I went to Benalmadena (Malaga airport) a few years ago on my own, and stayed in an H10 hotel, relatively inexpensive.
    The airport is close to the resort and I just jumped in a taxi to the hotel it wasn't that expensive- im sure you could arrange transfers in advance for a good bit cheaper.
    its got a beach, a harbour with lots of nice restaurants and bars, shopping area, and I think the hotel had adverts for day trips to Gibraltar etc so plenty to do.

If I ever need any last minute sunshine then Malaga is usually my first choice as there are usually(*) loads of cheap flights, plentiful accommodation in the resorts near the airport and it's easy to get around by public transport - Malaga City it worth a day trip and is only 30 mins away by train. Personally, I prefer Fuengirola over Benalmadena but both a fine when travelling on your own. There are so many bars and restaurants to choose from that I would only ever book B&B.

(*) - though a Bank Holiday weekend during the school holidays doesn't count as "normal"
  • holidaysforme
    holidaysforme Posts: 1,786 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I went to Benalmadena (Malaga airport) a few years ago on my own, and stayed in an H10 hotel, relatively inexpensive.
    The airport is close to the resort and I just jumped in a taxi to the hotel it wasn't that expensive- im sure you could arrange transfers in advance for a good bit cheaper.
    its got a beach, a harbour with lots of nice restaurants and bars, shopping area, and I think the hotel had adverts for day trips to Gibraltar etc so plenty to do.

Sounds right up my street. I’l check out the hotel.
  • holidaysforme
    Doshwaster wrote: »
    If I ever need any last minute sunshine then Malaga is usually my first choice as there are usually(*) loads of cheap flights, plentiful accommodation in the resorts near the airport and it's easy to get around by public transport - Malaga City it worth a day trip and is only 30 mins away by train. Personally, I prefer Fuengirola over Benalmadena but both a fine when travelling on your own. There are so many bars and restaurants to choose from that I would only ever book B&B.

(*) - though a Bank Holiday weekend during the school holidays doesn't count as "normal"

Luckily I am using reward flights, so no cost there. I’m going to investigate resorts close to Malaga. Thanks for the tips.
  • I'm a solo female traveller just reaching the end of four weeks on Corfu on my own. It's definitely the safest feeling place I've visited in a long time. If you can, find accommodation in Corfu Town (Hotel Atlantis springs to mind as a reasonably cheap option) or on a blue bus (Corfu City Bus) route (e.g. Gouvia, Dassia, Kanoni...) as that will bring costs right down.
  • holidaysforme
    I'm a solo female traveller just reaching the end of four weeks on Corfu on my own. It's definitely the safest feeling place I've visited in a long time. If you can, find accommodation in Corfu Town (Hotel Atlantis springs to mind as a reasonably cheap option) or on a blue bus (Corfu City Bus) route (e.g. Gouvia, Dassia, Kanoni...) as that will bring costs right down.

Thanks for all the tips. I’ll check out the hotel. Have you enjoyed Your time in Corfu? Is the bus service reliable?
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Palma de Mallorca is a proper city with a huge variety of accommodation options and comprehensive public transport links to all parts of the island for day trips. For visits within the city the cathedral and royal palace are the obvious choices. The historic train to Soller is a classic day trip. There are also lots of organised excursions available, from water parks to Flamenco evenings eg Son Amar.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,849 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I’m a man but have 5 days in Malaga booked for early September, also using Avios. I’ve arranged a days scuba diving and plan to go to Alhambra another day. A bit of sightseeing around town and lazing on beaches will do very nicely thanks.

This’ll be my first visit there but I think that it’ll be good.
    I hate verisimilitude.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It really depends on your personal accommodation standards. If you like a posh hotel, it’s unlikely you’d get much on the budget at this time of year.
  • holidaysforme
    Thanks everyone. All booked. Going to the Algarve fir six nights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure