£99 deposit on fuel.

Comments

• kirmal12
    kirmal12 Posts: 22
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    This isn't new news, a lot of places do it in France & beyond and have done it for years. Are we catching up at last!.
  • paulharding150
    paulharding150 Posts: 119
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    OK a downpayment then ?
    a deposit is :
    "A sum payable as a first installment on the purchase of something or as a pledge for a contract, the balance being payable later."
    or
    "A returnable sum payable on the hire or rental of something, to cover possible loss or damage."
    I am guessing that the second one covers it ....

Well it's not a downpayment as the money itself isn't taken.

If you get to the end of the month and your account is almost empty and have no other means of credit and you're worried about this happening you can still pay at the kiosk.

In your original post you stated that it was 'EXTORTION' - I'm afraid it's not that either.
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,950
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    As I understand it this is being done at unmanned pay at pump filling stations, so there is no pay inside option available.
    I've been to many fuel stations that had some pumps where pay at pump was available or mandatory at some pumps (my local ASDA is half pay at pump, half pay at kiosk, Tesco asks you which you want at the pump), but none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • lufcgirl
    lufcgirl Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    I've been to many fuel stations that had some pumps where pay at pump was available or mandatory at some pumps (my local ASDA is half pay at pump, half pay at kiosk, Tesco asks you which you want at the pump), but none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?

They do, the one I can think of from the top of my head is Asda near the MetroCentre in Gateshead. An entire pay at the pump with no building to take payments at all.
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    edited 9 May 2018 at 2:16PM

Asda, Aintree, Liverpool. Unmanned and pay at pump only.
    There's a Costco that my Daughter uses to buy fuel - I'm sure is pay at pump only. Haydock I think.
  • I've been to many fuel stations that had some pumps where pay at pump was available or mandatory at some pumps (my local ASDA is half pay at pump, half pay at kiosk, Tesco asks you which you want at the pump), but none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?

Yes the one that they've recently installed near me is totally unmanned.

After this story I doubt anyone will go there!
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    kirmal12 wrote: »
    This isn't new news, a lot of places do it in France & beyond and have done it for years. Are we catching up at last!.

They've got it in some places in the USA too, but at least they let you choose how much you pre-pay. So you could pre-authorize for £10 and it'll stop before you go over it.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,551
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's a good story particularly when it is misrepresented as a "downpayment" or a"deposit" It's quite frequent for hotels to reserve something in the same way on a card in case you drink the minibar dry. That payment always comes back promptly in my experience. If I were worried about this then I would pay at the till and if that was not available because it was 4a.m. I would pay by credit card if I had one and if not or I was very close to my credit limit I would ensure either I filled up at a better time or kept a list of stations that accepted cash.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Herzlos wrote: »
    They've got it in some places in the USA too, but at least they let you choose how much you pre-pay. So you could pre-authorize for £10 and it'll stop before you go over it.

I have seen that in the UK too, but I've never used it so I'm not sure quite how it works, they might still take the £99 first anyway.
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    none that were entirely unmanned and all pumps required pay at pump. Do such places exist?

Yes - the Asda at Highbridge in Somerset has no kiosk and is open 24/7 including when the store is shut. It is entirely unmanned.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure