I'm eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge

Comments

• Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Interesting reasons why everyone is doing it and what we will all do in the future! Agree the stocks do come in useful, as I have no money coming in currently I am grateful for the amount I had stashed away! Though if I wasn't spending so much before I guess I would have more £ in the bank!

I did nip round the shop today - and I did check my usual fave items to see if any were on offer!! My total spend for this week on food essentials (milk/orange juice/fruit) was £3.87 and I'm impressed with myself!! I did have to buy some fresh veg for pets as well but that wasn't much and I may share it with them :D

Today:
    Breakfast - oj and cereal
    Lunch - crispbreads & cheese
    Dinner - cheese omelette and hm bread.

Need to add in more veg!
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    quintwins wrote: »
    i havent been shopping and still theres as much going into my freezer as out of it :o took out mince and a chicken yesterday, and today i put in 6 portions of spag bol (frozen in 2 portion patches for lunch's or kids teas) a tub of bacon and 3 pitta breads, i have decided to put everything in in labeled tubs that way i'll def know whats what and i know they'll take up more room but that might not be a bad thing lol

My NY res last year was to label everything which went into the freezer. Over the year I have more or less stopped using preformed tubs and use Lidl freezer bags which are really strong and good for the purpose. Labels are black coloured pencil on masking tape (sticks to everything like glue in the freezer) and everything takes up much less room and now the guesswork is taken out of what we are eating each day!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Spent £4.30 in Sainsburys yesterday...bought 8 pints of milk for cereal (there's loads of it screaming out to be eaten!), 3 onions to make a soup out of the remnants of my fridge chiller cabinet, and 10 Galaxy Christmas chocolates at 19p each (essential!!).

Not planning another trip until at least the 14th Jan.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Kirri wrote: »
    Interesting reasons why everyone is doing it and what we will all do in the future! ......
    I did have to buy some fresh veg for pets as well but that wasn't much and I may share it with them :D

I think we all do it for individual reasons, some financial, some fun and some because they are sick of the BIG 4 trying to con us!!

I would tell the pets to get their own..........you're just too soft. :D
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    and 10 Galaxy Christmas chocolates at 19p each (essential!!).

Never skimp on the "essentials", you have the right priorities. ;)

NSD today, 2nd of the year (only day 6) and well pleased and quite impressed really.
    Spending tomorrow though as Lidl have the cooked chicken slices on half-price in my local Lidl. Just 2 packs at 99p per pack.
    I need some eggs, probably pick them up in Lidl and may go to Morries for the ketchup and if I get there late, some cheap pies (59p per pack of 4 sometimes when reduced). If not Morries tomorrow, then Sainsbury's late on to put lottery on and to have a look.

Perhaps porridge for breakfast and bits and bobs "buffet", cheese and pickles to clear up and looking at non-food "stash" today, I've got far too many biscuits, packets, tins etc. Got a few extra tins as little pressies!!!

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • 123budget
    123budget Posts: 171 Forumite
    After doing a stock take of my freezer I have found lurking in the bottom a bag containing 5 big tuna steaks. They must have been in there for at least a year prob more like 18 months :eek: ( fussy kids don't like tuna)
    anyone got any idea if they will still be ok to use?
    Also if ok will prob be a bit dry so will need a sauce for them or maybe just cook 1 at a time to use in sarnies with mayo
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    my kids love fish topped with philly and sprinkled with chives (i have to admist it is yummy) we have alot of makeral which is abit over powering but cooked like this we'll all eat it

oh and yesterdays chicken must ahve been 2years+ because i never buy chicken it was found in the bottom aswell (i was digging threw i'm no where near the bottom)

pancakes for breakfast and soup for lunch, i'm hoping the in laws will feed us dinner if not it's spag bol so everything today is the freezer/storecupboard :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ^^ I thought I was bad having veg in the freezer for over a year! Ideally I'd like to empty my freezer by March each year, ready for the spare new season veg to go in, doubt I will achieve that though..

I finished the cereal this morning at last!

Had to nip out and buy more nuts for the tart I'm making today so now I have spare of them going back in the cupboard as they had no small packs :mad:

Lunch I think will be the hazelnut and apple tart in the oven now..

Dinner - think I will use the rest of the bread if not mouldy otherwise it will be mash from the allotment potato stores, 2 veggie sausages from the freezer and a sliced apple fried with the sausages as it's a bit soft for eating and even after making the tart I have 3 apples left.
  • Heys guys

I took out the freezer a huge slice of salmon maybe a quarter and a pack of sausages.

For lunch in the steamer is the salmon, rice and carrots, green beans, i have been wanting to buy these for ages! and broccoli all whoopsied.

Dinner will be, sausages, i made a sweet chilli sauce, think i got the receipe from here, i have 3 eggs need using by 10th, so with the steamed rice from lunch will make an egg fried rice and have the remainder of veg with the sweet chilli sausages in the slow cooker as we speak.

Think there will be loads of food left for lunches during the week and i am taking out some chicken pieces to make a bbq chicken tomorrow.

Still have 4 packs of sausages 2 packs of 5 expensive ones that cost me 8 quid from my neighbors shop and 2 whoopsied packs, will have to use another pack next weekend.
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 7 January 2012 at 10:19PM
    £4.87 spent so far. Got 2 packs of cooked chicken and eggs from Lidl, 1 ketchup from morries and 2 free Clover Light with coupons and finally 2 litres of Pro Activ using 2 coupons for £1 (50p per litre).

The Pro Active coupon is worth a look since Cravendale free milk has stopped!! Coupons from coupon thread.
    Coupons last for ages and 2 litres for £2 in Tesco, so 2 for £1 with 2 coupons.

See what Sainsbury's have later.
    EDIT: Only bought 1 x Sainsbury's Just Cook Chicken Fillets with Leek & Cheddar Cheese Crumble (320g) reduced to 99p. Not much reduced, mainly bags of oranges and loads of sandwiches.
    Never mind, saves me spending and a decent start to the budget, £5.86 spent today and £10.64 for the 1st week of the year.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • nearly a NSD today!! Got mince out of the freezer to make spaghetti bolognaise for tea but both kids wanted meatballs. I said I would make them but they said that they wanted the ones from Tescos (2 packs for £3) so I caved in and got them some, along with a bag of bread flour.

Breakfast was in a cafe (with a friend and it was her turn to pay!), lunch was cottage pie left over from last night for me and beans on toast for younger daughter (older DD at work). Tea tonight was a piece of cheese on toast for me and spaghetti and meatballs for kids and their friends with hm cheesy garlic bread.

I made flapjacks tonight using some of my mountain of hm butter (bought loads of reduced cream the other night and made butter!), however somehow I got the measurements wrong and ended up using twice as many oats as needed so then had to put more butter sugar and syrup in to even things up - I now have LOADS of flapjacks which I will freeze some of - they are, I have to say, delicious (threw in some nuts and dried cranberries and cherries) and I have had about three so far and now feel like I have eaten a brick!

Got chicken breasts out of freezer for tomorrow, plus I need to use up the mince I defrosted today and didn't use so I will probably make chilli and more hm garlic bread.

We have loads of stuff in the freezer and cupboards but kids are moaning like made that there is no food in - they think that because I don't have mountains of chocolate biscuits, crisps and the like there is nothing in!!!

I did buy a load of the Mary Berry Christmas cake mixes for 50p each in Tesco the other day, plus I got a Delia one in Waitrose for £1 and 2 TTD ones in Sainsburys for £2, PLUS a load of the Sainsburys Christmas cake decorating sets for £1 each, which is great as you get 500g marzipan, 500g icing and some silver balls in each pack. So I am good for fruit cake making for the rest of the year!!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure