SPARK energy big problem!!

Options

Comments

• Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    I think that this needs the attention of OFGEM and will be sending my story to thatblogger, hopefully others will too.
  • Richie-from-the-Boro
    Options
    Questions about Spark get posted frequently here is the last one and here is the Spark site that clearly states they offer [STRIKE]backhanders[/STRIKE] coin to landlords and agents to put tenants on Spark.

Regardless of the landlady or Ludlow&Thompson, you the tenant can change any time you want to change, it has nothing whatsoever to do with your landlady or Ludlow&Thompson. !

My advice nikipirowicz is to switch, you can cry to the ombudsman later - just switch supplier. I've no idea an don't care what your problems are reference no DD / and / or key meters and you will continue to pay~through~the~nose for those, but you can and should get away from Spark before the weekend .. .. and you can.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • Kilty_2
    Kilty_2 Posts: 5,818 Forumite
    Options
    Although you generally pay more for key meters - Ebico are very good for them, and are probably cheaper than Spark!
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    Options
    Questions about Spark get posted frequently here is the last one and here is the Spark site that clearly states they offer [STRIKE]backhanders[/STRIKE] coin to landlords and agents to put tenants on Spark.

Worth quoting to show that Spark are giving backhanders to Agents.
    property_managers.gif
    This is what we do best.... As we’re built around the needs of a smaller niche market we provide a tailored service that solves your utilities administration problems.
    Other benefits of being a Spark partner:
    • We manage the change of supply and change of tenant process for your entire property portfolio.
    • We’ll pay you for the pleasure and you can keep track of how we’re doing through your monthly report.
    • No payment of utility bills during void periods up to £10.
    • A dedicated Partner Manager to manage your account.
    • A great deal for your tenants (Price guarantee, green credentials, hassle free move in and move out, little extras each quarter!)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 4 November 2011 at 10:40AM
    Options
    Thanks DVardysShadow -
    "....you can keep track of how we are doing through your monthly report"

So why do Spark issue a monthly report to an Agent or Landlord who's taken Sparks shilling? - It is all extra work for both Spark and the Agent/Landlord that's above and beyond an initial one-off payment deal to get tenants to switch.

My comments in Post 15 were based on nothing more than my puzzlement as why an Agent would threaten charges if a tenant moved away from Spark, but with monthly reports flowing, the theory of the contract being based on Trail Commissions is looking more and more likely.

No payment of utility Bills during void periods up to £10
    Well,well - The site is littered with comments from tenant OP's that the owner of the property had no notion of what their Managing Agents were up to with the Spark deals.

So with Agent being free of Utility bills up to £10, what happens to vacant properties during the Winter?
    The answer can only be that the Agent visits the property and turns off all the heating
    Ring,Ring
    "Sorry to disturb you Mr Landlord it's XXX Agents, I'm afraid there has been a serious water leak in in your property"

"Strewth, that's awful, how bad is it"

"The kitchen floor is ruined and some of the units are damaged"

"What's it going to cost"

"We've got three quotes in Sir and the lowest is £2,950,but of course your insurance will cover it"

"Well it won't cover my £300 excess - How long will the repairs take?

"Well it must dry out first, so it will be about out 9 weeks. We will of course have to take it off the market, but your insurance does cover loss of income doesn't it Sir?
  • theartfullodger
    Options
    My dear wife received a "Final Notice" from a debt collection agency regarding an alleged bill from Spark for "dual-fuel" from 2010. She HAD been a customer of Spark, but not dual-fuel, and only during 2012.

I/she composed a detailed email to the debt collection hounds & to Spark (MD, support, complaints, recruitment, investment etc etc etc..). No reply. For 2 days.

we 'phone after 2 days. After 25 minutes consisting of 7 minutes listing to music and cr*p adverts about Spark then VERY HARD WORK getting the operative (not his poor fault..) to read the email and then think about replying: In the end he did promise to call the dogs off and respond within a day.

What p***es me off about these scum is that that sort of threat would frighten many people, who might pay up in fear. Only one thing to do with bullies, stand up to them!!

After matters are resolved I shall be writing to (all) of their Directors with a copy of the 25 minutes 'phone call.

I will never do business with Spark and note they focus on the rented sector via. back-handers to agents: I will advise all my tenants not to touch them

Cheers!
  • kingjude
    kingjude Posts: 26 Forumite
    edited 18 January 2013 at 8:36PM
    Options
    I moved into a property that uses a prepayment meter. Spark are the cheapest by far. I am a bit skeptical and can't find any good comments or reviews about them at all. Would I be bitten with a bill if I switch from Spark energy? I mean I pay for what I use and would keep track of their tariffs and their standing charge just in case they say that I paid the wrong tariff.

What do you guys think?
  • Old_Trout_3
    Options
    I have just tried to contact Spark, as besides paying by DD, they have sent a statement and an invoice for £49 which is based on estimated readings. I said I don't accept paying extra unless it's with actual meter readings.

A year ago I had no problem with them when they'd overcharged. We got four months payment break. Now I've emailed them twice, had the automated machine-reply and later a receipt: Deleted without being read. Glad I sent these from work so I have to proof of this if necessary.

The second email I sent was to comment on the deletion of the first one but it suffered the same fate. What next?
  • lhendry
    Options
    Feeling very silly for not reading reviews on Spark before applying to switch - terrible. Taking too much money money from me, payments with 1 days notice and at wrong time of month, premium rate telephone number and on hold for over 20 minutes every time. Customer services with attitude but not surprised as they're probably just getting complaints 24 hours a day. I've cancelled my move to Spark and would advise everyone to stay away.
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    lhendry wrote: »
    Feeling very silly for not reading reviews on Spark before applying to switch - terrible. Taking too much money money from me, payments with 1 days notice and at wrong time of month, premium rate telephone number and on hold for over 20 minutes every time. Customer services with attitude but not surprised as they're probably just getting complaints 24 hours a day. I've cancelled my move to Spark and would advise everyone to stay away.

Probably utter nonsense, but if not, you are fully protected by the terms of the Direct Debit Guarantee. You could reclaim directly & immediately from your bank if what you say is true.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure