MOT Cost Cutting discussion

Comments

• For anyone that needs to know what to check before going to the MOT test centre, go to a website called motservice dotcom and click on the mot button
  • :DI work at a repair shop which does not do MOT tests. we Take our vehicles to an mot test centre who know they wont get the work so they don't have any angle on failing them. If you cant get to a council test centre find a garage like us. Also we only do the work needed NOT the advises unless the customer asks us to. Oh and no re-test fees either.:j
  • GPR
    GPR Posts: 20 Forumite
    The Barnet Council MOT test station in Mill Hill, Barnet is now operated by Go Plant.
    Presumably other councils also use Go Plant. See http://www.go-plant.co.uk/index.php/goplant/depots for list of their depot addresses around the country.
  • I recently came across NSN who I had never heard about before. It seems to be a large network of independent garages all around the country. They do discounted MOTs and services. I got my vw doen recently and paid for the service and MOt and nothing else. Great experience with the call centre managing the job and even picking the car up and taking it back. I was recommended it though a mate that had a discount codce of DAN. Gave me 20% off the MOT and 10% off the service. They seem to work on trust to get the business back than trying to find all the faults and hitting you with a big bill. Website is NSN
  • What is the official line regarding re-tests & fees.You used to be able to take your failed car away from the testing station to get the work done and as long as you returned within 14days the re-test would be free.It now appears to have changed somewhat. I usually shop around for the best priced MOT locally after having had any 'known' repairs done beforehand by my regular garage.Should I be unlucky enough though to then have a failure on my hands but take it away from said MOT centre to get further repairs done,will I get charged when taking it back for a re-test or can they waiver any such charge for goodwill?
  • Council MOT Centres - backlog

Its true as someone mentioned earlier that sometimes council mot centres can be busy and have a big back log, (I couldn't get mine booked in for 3 weeks) If I hadn't left it til the last minute I wouldn't have been left to pick and pray as it were. Most garages are pretty good as they thrive on reputation in local towns, one idea might be to set yourself a reminder for your MOT (some sites such as MOT-reminderdotcom allow you to sign up for free and remind you three times in advance via email. this way the backlog issue isn't a problem. In the least as a money saving tip it'll prevent a fine.
  • Just taken mine to a council run MOT test centre (Aspen Way, Torquay) after following the advice here. No problems at all, I knew before one of my reversing lights needed replacing and they weren't silly about that, and got the pass certificate I needed. Plus a staff discount as I work for the council.. £45 and done!
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    just reading this and wondering if anyone can recommend a good mot centre in/near basildon essex?

i cant seem to find a council one unless im not looking properly
    What goes around-comes around
  • GooKing
    GooKing Posts: 8 Forumite
    I found a local garage by asking people at work for recommendations. I have since moved, but still make the effort to go there - they now know me and my cars, and he knows I will come to him with any repairs, MOT or not.

It's worth finding a garage that understands your vehicles AND needs - I tend to buy old cars, and run them until it become uneconomic, so he is happy to make a repair that will last 12 months, and to use cheaper 'pattern' parts, as maintaining the manufacturer service history is not a problem.

The other major saving is doing some things yourself. Main delaers can charge £50 to replace a light bulb, as well as having a big mark-up on the parts.

Have a look at AutobulbsDirect.co.uk - they have bulbs and wiper blades for most cars and vans, at prices cheaper than the high street, and much lower than most garages will charge
  • connersz
    connersz Posts: 27 Forumite
    Just in case MSE wasnt already aware of this, if you have an AUDI and it is serviced properly you can always get a free MOT directly from them no matter how old the car or how many miles.

I have done this two years running now and passed fine, they even topped it up with oil for free the first time without having to pay a penny.

To get the MOT free you just need to go on the Audi website and put your details in to print of a coupon, its not a promotional offer, they have done this for a long time.

Regard,
    J.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport