Conundrum: Pedestrians on a narrow country road with no footpaths - who gives way?

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    As I understand it the OP would be the pedestrian in the scenario presented.

Correct - and almost a dead one on occasion, because of ignorant, ill-informed, arrogant, abusive drivers who assume that they have the right of way, and that pedestrians should just get out of their way.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the problem's worst with van drivers, SUV drivers and certain marques of car (BMW for example).

Abusive van and lorry drivers get reported, with details of the vehicle, to their companies whenever it happens (and oddly it's got a lot worse in the last year or so) and they always take the matter seriously, or at least appear to. Makes sense, because it affects the reputation of the company, indicates a potentially unsafe driver and may impact on their insurance premia.
  • WaywardDriver
    WaywardDriver Posts: 546
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »

1 Stop before you reach the pedestrians to allow the other car to pass safely.

2 Blast your horn at the pedestrians to get them to move out of the way.

3 Carry on regardless and take a chance on brushing against the pedestrians?

Involved in this situation every day as the pedestrian. Pleased to say 99% of motorists (cars, hgvs, tractors) choose option 1 although I stand prepared to jump into the verge for the other 1%.
    Interesting to note how many times this scenario occurs when walking on a nearly deserted road - one car comes up before me and another comes out of nowhere behind me.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,684
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the problem's worst with van drivers, SUV drivers and certain marques of car (BMW for example).

I was with you all the way - until you wrote this $hite.
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    Iceweasel wrote: »
    I was with you all the way - until you wrote this $hite.

You're entitled to your view, of course, but that comment was based on hard evidence!

And, by the way, I drive an SUV.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Unfortunately some ignorant drivers believe they have the right of way . . .
    I usually say (to myself)
    "Oh dear! Have I obstructed your forward progress?"
    to people like this.
    It's an increasing problem on the narrow lanes around here. People who think they always have the right of way.
    I had a Motor home driver refuse to reverse literally two metres in a straight line with perfect visibility one day. I had to reverse about 100 metres back around a blind bend for him, and then got a load of abuse off his passenger!
    I might point out to people with this feeling of "entitlement" that on country lanes it's not just cars you might meet. Pedestrians, cattle, horses, combine harvesters, and tractors with spiky things attached.
    Good luck with the "But it was my right of way" when they are cutting you off said spiky things!
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,684
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    You're entitled to your view, of course, but that comment was based on hard evidence!

And, by the way, I drive an SUV.

Hard evidence???????

OK then - give us a link to it.

Or do you mean in your experience?

If the latter, please give us the statistics you have collected.

You may well have gathered (correctly) that I don't believe you and stand by my comment in post #24
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Mercdriver wrote: »
    If you have an obstruction on your side of the road you should be the one that gives way to oncoming traffic. Doesn't matter what that obstruction is.

That's correct. It is also the safest option, for the pedestrians, the driver on their side of the carriageway and the oncoming vehicles. Commonsense is also a factor.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Robisere wrote: »
    That's correct. It is also the safest option, for the pedestrians, the driver on their side of the carriageway and the oncoming vehicles. Commonsense is also a factor.

You'd be amazed (actually, I suspect you wouldn't) at how many decide to plough right through anyway and attempt to make you reverse back. I make them do it.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    An idiotic question with an obvious answer...
    Progress cautiously then when oncoming vehicle has cleared you go round them.

No need to dramatise it or make it overly complicated
  • Doc_N
    Forumite
    arcon5 wrote: »
    An idiotic question with an obvious answer...
    Progress cautiously then when oncoming vehicle has cleared you go round them.

No need to dramatise it or make it overly complicated

Not shake your fist and swear at the pedestrians for impeding your progress, then?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure