Mistakes in Boiler installation

Hello

We have had a new boiler installed. The boiler works great and the majority of the work is fine.

However two days later I smelt gas, had to get the gas safety guy out (Saturday morning), leak was fixed, he told me it was due to installation error (wrong size pipe to connector or something).

1-2 weeks later, discovered the stop tap had been leaking (Stop tap is behind dishwasher with laminate flooring) so the laminate had soaked up all the water under the dishwasher and has now spread into the kitchen, only noticed when I trod on the laminate and water oozed from the cracks

Now, the gas leak is there fault, but it has already been fixed (didn't cost me anything to get fixed, but did mean I had to cancel days plans to wait for gas man)

They didn't work on the stop tap, but they did use it to obviously turn water on/off for installation, then they pushed the dishwasher back in place and left it leaking (I'm not an expert but I would imagine that it would leak straight away and not suddenly develop later on? but could be wrong)

Have emailed them and they won't do anything and want full payment

Considering they left my house with both a gas leak and a water leak I don't think I should pay the full amount

Question is, do I have any rights here? Can it be proven that the leak was there fault?

I thought they would have at least offered a good will gesture for the inconvenience of having to sort the gas leak on a Saturday but nothing

Thanks

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    What do your losses amount too?
    Could you shame them by contacting them on Facebook?
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I hardly think "the inconvenience of having to sort the gas leak on a Saturday" is an inconvenience :eek:

Would you rather they said "can't get there until Monday now !" It was a GAS LEAK for goodness sake !
  • denk15
    denk15 Posts: 43 Forumite
    meer53 wrote: »
    I hardly think "the inconvenience of having to sort the gas leak on a Saturday" is an inconvenience :eek:

Would you rather they said "can't get there until Monday now !" It was a GAS LEAK for goodness sake !

I'm not entirely sure you have understood the point. Let me clarify a few things

First, the company who installed the boiler did not fix the leak, it was the gas emergency service

Second, when I gave the company the go ahead to install the boiler, I expected the end result to be gas tight. it was not, there was a leak, which meant I had to spend time getting it fixed... In conclusion, the job wasn't done properly, I spent my own time correcting it = inconvenience

holydays, thanks for your reply

My losses so far are, time spent getting gas leak fixed, damage to floor due to water leak, paying to get water leak fixed

I don't want to shame them, the majority of the job is very good, but I just feel that I shouldn't be paying the same amount of money for a job that had these problems as I would if the job was completed as promised first time round

Also there is the safety issue, putting the wrong size connector on a gas pipe strikes me as slightly dangerous
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    denk15 wrote: »
    My losses so far are, time spent getting gas leak fixed, damage to floor due to water leak, paying to get water leak fixed
    Denk15, do you normally work on a Saturday?

I think the point that Hollydays was making (she will correct me if I'm wrong ;)) was that you can only claim for financial losses.

The inconvenience of having to re-arrange your 'leisure time' is not a claimable loss.
  • denk15
    wealdroam wrote: »
    Denk15, do you normally work on a Saturday?

I think the point that Hollydays was making (she will correct me if I'm wrong ;)) was that you can only claim for financial losses.

The inconvenience of having to re-arrange your 'leisure time' is not a claimable loss.

I don't work on a Saturday no, and I have just read on the consumer rights website that other than asking for a goodwill gesture, theres not a lot more to do.

The leak I am also confused about. If the leak was from a pipe they installed, then theres no question that I would be chasing for damages to my property

They didn't install the stopcock, but it developed a leak because of their use of it. I am not a plumber, but I get the impression that if there was a leak, it would leak straight away (IE when the plumbers were there) and not start randomly leaking a few days later
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Not necessarily ... them turning off then on the stopcock to implement their scope of works is an entirely normal action. Unless they've wrenched the whole thing when operating it then the leak is coincidental, and you've no way of proving they were at fault.

By all means seek a goodwill gesture from them, but you have no legal basis for a case.
  • denk15
    That is what I figured. But thought I would ask for advice first before I paid them the full amount

Thank you all for your replies
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    How about deducting a token amount from the final bill. It will make you feel better and it is unlikely they will pursue it unless it is worth doing so.
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    How about deducting a token amount from the final bill. It will make you feel better and it is unlikely they will pursue it unless it is worth doing so.

On what grounds?
    Bit daft really
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    On what grounds?
    Bit daft really

On the grounds of the unsatisfactory nature of the installation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure