The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Future cards 3 digit ccc numbers with digital display

In the future, debit/credit cards 3 digit cvv numbers will change every hour on a digital display - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37585247

Oberthur and Gemalto (card makers) are doing this.

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    How is that going to work with anyone you have a recurring payment authority with, anyone you save your card details with, online stores that don't take payment immediately..............?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    How is that going to work with anyone you have a recurring payment authority with, anyone you save your card details with, online stores that don't take payment immediately..............?
    They don't use the CVV number. CVV numbers can't be stored, they can only be used for immediate payments.
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite

Won't make a difference, as they are not allowed to store the code anyway.

The only thing that will change is people won't be able to memorise their own 3 digit code.
  • mt99
    mt99 Posts: 472 Forumite
    I scratch the numbers off the back of all my cards (write them down at home in case I do online shopping) so if I ever lose my card/wallet the cards can't be used.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    They don't use the CVV number. CVV numbers can't be stored, they can only be used for immediate payments.

Why do they always ask for them then?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • Why do they always ask for them then?

With a recurring transaction, the CVV validated the first payment and therefore all subsequent payments are made under the same authority. The CVV is not compulsory anyway, some major websites don't use it (iirc Amazon, for example).
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,274
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    mt99 wrote: »
    I scratch the numbers off the back of all my cards (write them down at home in case I do online shopping) so if I ever lose my card/wallet the cards can't be used.
    Why do you think it "can't be used?" The CVV is only ever used for CNP transactions (not face to face) and even some CNP retailers don't use it (eg Amazon as above). You've probably violated the bank's T&C's by defacing their card and definitely by writing down the CVV number.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Forumite
    zagfles wrote: »
    Why do you think it "can't be used?" The CVV is only ever used for CNP transactions (not face to face) and even some CNP retailers don't use it (eg Amazon as above). You've probably violated the bank's T&C's by defacing their card and definitely by writing down the CVV number.

Am I right in thinking under the signature strip it reads 'Void' multiple times?
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • mt99
    edited 9 October 2016 at 12:23PM
    The cvv is scratched off. It can still be used chip and pin. It just cannot be used for online transactions where the cvv is required. There is nothing in the T and C about removing cvv number or writing it down.
  • mt99
    @20aday - don't know, I've never removed the signature strip
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills