Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 1st Jan 11, 11:34 AM
    • 16,601Posts
    • 109,619Thanks
    gallygirl
    Gallygirl's "A journey of 121,226.67 pounds begins with a single penny" diary
    • 1st Jan 11, 11:34 AM
    Gallygirl's "A journey of 121,226.67 pounds begins with a single penny" diary 1st Jan 11 at 11:34 AM

Best I could come up with for a title . For those who haven't come across me before, HERE is my old diary. Hopefully I will keep this one to 2016 when I will be totally mortgage free

2011 challenges.

Mortgage #1
    19,546.15 Currently
    0 Target

Mortgages 2 & 3
    101,668.64 Currently
    94,803.11 Projected end of 2011
    90,000 Target (mortgages - savings)

BTL Mortgage on Late Mum's House
    27,056 Currently
    25,489.36 Projected end of 2011
    23,000 Target

In addition to that I have set myself some other goals. Some easy to measure, others a bit more subjective:
    1 June I will decorate the living room and buy new sofas
    2 August I will reach my target weight (the 'real' one, not the official one. I will get below 11 stone) and stay there
    3 August I will have no mortgage on my house
    4 August I will be fabulous at 50!!!!!
    5 October I will have a garden I am proud of
    6 December I will read 12 books off the BBC list
    7 Ongoing I will continue sell all possible things on ebay
    8 Ongoing I will start entering competitions again (& flog everything I win)
    9 Ongoing I will exercise for 30 mins at least once a week
    10 Ongoing I will meet up with friends at least once a month
    11 Ongoing I will continue loving life & thanking the Universe for all its' gifts

Here goes folks!

gg x
    Last edited by gallygirl; 03-01-2011 at 8:58 AM.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
Page 23
    • theyoungone
    • By theyoungone 2nd May 12, 10:05 AM
    • 1,908 Posts
    • 11,547 Thanks
    theyoungone
    Boo on the ants on the tooth! ..
    Maybe the tooth fairy is late... if she comes you could add her contribution to the mortgage pig!

Fingers crossed for boots being fixable, I know how heartbreaking it can be when favourite pairs need to go to shoe heaven
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 2nd May 12, 7:50 PM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Def worth the investment to get the boots sorted though. It is heartbreaking once you find your best-loved cannot be repaired any more!
    Originally posted by hypno06
    Thnaks H, I knew you'd understand

As for the ants, well as long as they are not in your pants, it could be a whole lot worse.
    Originally posted by hypno06
    Indeed
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 2nd May 12, 8:21 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Def fix the boots. Got a really brill cobbler (I'd love to be one just so I can fill out forms with such a brilliant job title!) down here. My fave boots were shot to pieces and he did a great job for 30.00. Maybe worth checking round?? We also have a shockingly bad cobbler (is that a cobblers cobbler ??) round here and I learnt the hard way not to use him. Do the footwork (sorry, bad puns all round) and you may find somewhere that isn't fifty squid.

Hope evening is better than the day for you.
    MFW 2018 challenge (No.39) 1,819.90 / 5,000.00 (36.40%)
    MFW 2017 challenge (No.39) 4,510.00 / 3,450.00 (130.72%)
    MFW 2016 challenge (No. 39) 3,791.00 / 3,300.00 (114.88%)
  • curlygirl1971
    Is GallyGirls thread what you call the Darkside MoneyMission

If you're bored search 'Darth Vader play the blues' in You Tube.....then you'll defo be converted
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 2nd May 12, 8:47 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    MoneyMission

Arf arf arf. That even got Mr MM to chortle. Have you seen Eddie Izzard Death Star Canteen??
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 2nd May 12, 9:37 PM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    well that was a most enjoyable 15 minutes (is it actually possible to go on youtube and NOT click on something on the right ?)

I love THIS - very different subject matter but I defy you not to laugh

An ant just walked across my screen .
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • MoneyMission
    • By MoneyMission 2nd May 12, 9:55 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 3,052 Thanks
    MoneyMission
    Love it.

Boo to the ants. Have you got one of those little ant-get-riderer things like small flying saucers. There is poison of some sort inside it and the ants nibble a bit off and take it back to the nest and therefore wiping out the entire colony! Sounds a bit cruel now I've typed it out.
    Last edited by MoneyMission; 02-05-2012 at 9:56 PM. Reason: typo
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 2nd May 12, 10:18 PM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Had one but they ate it last year . I have a spray somewhere so will fish it out and buy them another cake at the weekend .

In other matters, just under 85 off today . 70 from DD, 5 Halifax, rest ebay . No time off payoff date though .
    Mortgage Balance = 0
  • curlygirl1971
    I love THIS - very different subject matter but I defy you not to laugh
    :.
    Originally posted by gallygirl
    I HATE football with a passion....but yes that was funny And in all fairness, if anyone could make Football vaguely interesting to me it is Jeff Stelling and the team.

Don't know if you've seen any of the Downfall parodies on YT, a lot of the good ones have been removed by the original film makers. But try 'hitler doesn't like how Harry potter ends'. Obviously only works if you don't speak German and down to Bruno Ganz brilliant acting.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 3rd May 12, 9:29 PM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Ta CG, will explore .

Seriously fed up with this weather. Doesn't help that:
    a) it's a BH and I've not gone to Spain
    b) the weather is good there
    c) my mate has gone to my apartment
    d) Mr GG away for the weekend
    e) I've a weekend of decorating to look forward to
    f) which doesn't actually matter as it's going to be too cold/wet to do anything anyway

Poor GG
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    • By Tilly MFW in 6 YRS 3rd May 12, 10:32 PM
    • 7,643 Posts
    • 86,941 Thanks
    Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Hiya, I know of a good old fashioned cobbler - will PM you

I recently had a pair of Jones ankle boots refurbished and they look great. 13

not good news about the tooth, or the ants - lets hope the tooth fairy brings you something red, in a bottle to aid your recovery.

Check the forecast the sun will be out this weekend

Tilly x
    2004 387k 29 years - MF March 2033
    2011 309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15
  • curlygirl1971
    f) which doesn't actually matter as it's going to be too cold/wet to do anything anyway

Poor GG
    Awwwwww, if it makes you feel any better.... For this weekend I've booked 3 nights in a hotel in north Wales and its going to pee it down and be cold so ive decided to stomp around Feeling sulky about the money I've spent whilst I should be at home decorating.....how's that?
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 4th May 12, 7:15 AM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Hiya, I know of a good old fashioned cobbler - will PM you
    Originally posted by Tilly MFW in 6 YRS
    Thank you

Awwwwww, if it makes you feel any better.... For this weekend I've booked 3 nights in a hotel in north Wales and its going to pee it down and be cold so ive decided to stomp around Feeling sulky about the money I've spent whilst I should be at home decorating.....how's that?
    Originally posted by curlygirl1971
    I feel much better now .

Poor GG
    Repeat 1,000 times.

I must not be a spoilt brat.

Mortgage Balance = 0
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 4th May 12, 7:28 AM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Just seen on Facebook bmibaby are probably closing - we have 3 flights with them . Checked their website and our flights are ok. However they are closing 2 of our best routes . Still, hopefully that will be more incentive for Ryanair to keep them open.

Nearly had kittens for a moment though .

Edit: Not 100% convinced they won't change their minds and close them earlier - and one of our flights is the last one out for the summer anyway
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • ammonite
    • By ammonite 4th May 12, 7:34 AM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 8,397 Thanks
    ammonite
    Fingers crossed your flights are safe Gally. If they close, I'm sure you will be covered? xx
    • theyoungone
    • By theyoungone 4th May 12, 7:43 AM
    • 1,908 Posts
    • 11,547 Thanks
    theyoungone
    Looking on the bright side if you flew out on the last flight out and they closed you might be *ahem* "stranded" in spain for a few more weeks of the summer.... every cloud has a silver lining and all that!

hope it all works out tho and fingers crossed for sun for the bank hol!!
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 4th May 12, 8:15 AM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    Yes we would get money back but then be faced with trying to find an alternative flight which would be dearer as a lot would be trying to book. TYO - the opposite way round I'm afraid - it's our flight out - we're coming abck with good old Mr O'Leary.
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • Radish72
    • By Radish72 4th May 12, 8:31 AM
    • 1,863 Posts
    • 11,629 Thanks
    Radish72
    I have just found one of your ants in my kitchen, do you want me to post it back to you
    Mortgage Aug12 165K, Apr18 34500
    OP's in 2017 3000 ish
    ISA challenge start 2017 3000/500 (16%)
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 4th May 12, 9:40 AM
    • 16,601 Posts
    • 109,619 Thanks
    gallygirl
    No, have it with my compliments . That's the advance scout.
    Mortgage Balance = 0
    • LauraJo
    • By LauraJo 4th May 12, 11:56 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 5,610 Thanks
    LauraJo
    Ta CG, will explore .

Poor GG
    Get the girls round to help with the decorating and make them bring some wine! It may not look brilliant by the end of it but at least your weekend wont be quite so glum!
    Mortgage starting balance 2011 ... 170k today 1.5k
    Savings: 3k
    Aim: 100k by Dec 2021
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,459Posts Today

8,499Users online

Martin's Twitter