paying in slips

Not sure if this is the right section by hut.

Until recently, most banks used to require a paying in slip to be completed and signed when cash deposits were made. A counterfoil receipt would then be retained by the payer.

How long do banks retain cash deposit paying in slips?
Is it possible to get copies?

Comments

• Don80
    Don80 Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I suspect these are covered by GDPR rules, so essentially, only as long as they need them, or are legally required to hold them. (I don't know how long that would be!)

These days you usually use your card and PIN to pay in either with a teller, or a deposit point in the branch/ATM, you can get a receipt and see the transaction immediately on your bank app, online banking or an ATM mini-statement.

You can still get a paying in book - there are some slips at the back of your cheque book (gasp!). Business often still use them for banking as well.
  • foxtail wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right section by hut.

Until recently, most banks used to require a paying in slip to be completed and signed when cash deposits were made. A counterfoil receipt would then be retained by the payer.

How long do banks retain cash deposit paying in slips?
    Is it possible to get copies?

I have to ask why would you want copies?
    Would you be prepared to pay the going rate for someone in the bank wasting a great deal of time just to show you well what exactly?

You have receipts - you get statements - what more do you need?

To answer your question it can range from 30 days to 3 years IMO before they are destroyed - some may be kept in the branch that did the transaction others may be held at a central clearing department.
    They may well refuse your request unless you have a very good reason as to why they are needed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure