First Direct Switch question. Mortgage holder

Options
First direct stipulates to receive the switching bonus,

‘Sorry, we can only offer this to people who haven't previously held an account with us’

Question. Would refer to a bank account (current, savings etc) or would holding a mortgage through them disqualify someone from the switching bonus?

Comments

• blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You could try asking them.

Having said that, they set up their mortgages as accounts, so I would expect a mortgage to disqualify you from receiving the switch bonus.

(I used to have one of their offset mortgages, and remember it appearing in their online banking alongside my current and savings accounts, and moving money into it in exactly the same way as I moved money into any other account. I never tried to move money out of the mortgage account, but suspect that I would have been able to do so as long as the result wouldn't have been to exceed the agreed loan amount.)
  • billy2shots
    Options
    blue.peter wrote: »
    You could try asking them.

)

As this is money saving expert and not waste time and money on calls, I thought I’d ask here first.

Anyway, 4 minutes waiting on the ‘existing customer line’ then 3 on the new customer line I got my answer.
  • As this is money saving expert and not waste time and money on calls, I thought I’d ask here first.

Anyway, 4 minutes waiting on the ‘existing customer line’ then 3 on the new customer line I got my answer.

It's a local number so free from a mobile.

And yet you made the call anyway.. and the answer was...?
  • billy2shots
    Options
    !!! wrote: »
    It's a local number so free from a mobile.

Free? Comes off any allowance you mean (unless you are on an unlimited call package).

And yet you made the call anyway.. and the answer was...?

.....,you could try asking them?

It’s free......
  • .....,you could try asking them?

It’s free......

Oh dear.
    You're one of those people...
  • billy2shots
    Options
    Oh dear.
    You're one of those people...

By ‘one of those people ‘ do you mean someone who doesn’t appreciate smart Alec comments that bring absolutely nothing to the thread to help answer a question? If so, then yes I am.
  • blue.peter
    blue.peter Posts: 1,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    By ‘one of those people ‘ do you mean someone who doesn’t appreciate smart Alec comments that bring absolutely nothing to the thread to help answer a question? If so, then yes I am.

My suggestion that you phone the bank was *not* intended as a "smart Alec comment". It was a serious suggestion. For all that there are people who might know the answer here, you'll not always find it easy to separate the wheat from the chaff. An answer given by the bank will at least be one on which you can rely.

In any case, since you appeared to want our comments, I offered my own opinion as well.

I'm very sorry that I seem to have upset you by trying to help.
  • billy2shots
    Options
    Answer

The switching offer still applies if you only have a mortgage with them.
  • By ‘one of those people ‘ do you mean someone who doesn’t appreciate smart Alec comments that bring absolutely nothing to the thread to help answer a question? If so, then yes I am.

It bought plenty to the thread.

If we had told you “yes you’re still eligible for it”, then you applied and it turns out you weren’t because of the mortgage, then what would you do?

You’d be back here in a flash that’s for sure.
  • billy2shots
    Options
    It bought plenty to the thread.

If we had told you “yes you’re still eligible for it”, then you applied and it turns out you weren’t because of the mortgage, then what would you do?

You’d be back here in a flash that’s for sure.

Your reply bought absolutely zero to the party.

It’s quite simple, you either know the answer or you don’t. You didn’t know the answer yet felt the need to comment anyway.
    That same need has you commenting again and I’m failing to see why.

MSE was unable to help. The answer has been deduced, case closed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure