Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again

Comments

• lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I find that song incredibly sinister. The reason being, it was used in the original version of The Wicker Man (with Edward Woodward), and the villagers were all happily singing it and dancing in a ring while that poor man was burning to death.

That 'jolly rousing tune' had a background of screams of agony and the villagers just carried on regardless. That is why I find it sinister, I always hear the screams :(

The original Wicker Man was the scariest, creepiest film I have ever seen.

Sorry about that downbeat note, hope I haven't spoiled anyone's day :)

Yes they did use it for the "Wicker Man". I'd forgotten about that.

The song is one of our oldest English folk songs, dating way back to the middle ages. Shame the film spoils it for you.

I went to see Fisherman's Friends yesterday.......a true story based on an actual Cornish choir and featuring some of the real choir members. I loved it, it was delightful, utterly charming.

I must admit I just love music, full stop. Some of my favourite operatic arias have been used (and misused) in films. Hey ho, if they are out of copyright then no one can stop them being used.

Frankie.....Humptydumptybits is right, a lot of dieters use crafting as a way of taking their minds off food. If you are knitting, sewing, crocheting, painting, making cards, or whatever then you can't be stuffing your face. :rotfl:

Making good progress with the garden. It's a bit cold and windy here at the moment so I might give it a miss today. I'm ahead of schedule so no worries.

Weight loss is going well. I feel great. People are starting to notice now. I have to confess I'm vain enough to enjoy receiving the compliments that are starting to come my way. :D

Have a great weekend y'all.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good luck with the diet and maybe the crochet diet is the way to go:rotfl:

Love it! You are right though. It's so easy to do mindless snacking when your hands aren't busy. Pleased to hear the crochet is going well now.:)

I'm glad you enjoyed Fisherman's Friends LL. It had poor reviews but I've heard the originals sing and I though just the music would be good and I expect there are nice views of Cornwall. There are some real characters in the group too. I think they remind me of my favourite Welsh male voice choirs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7doyE7t9Rq8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP1u5XMIAyg

I've been out for coffee with a friend today. It was good to catch up and I decided to walk to meet her (half hour each way). I walked briskly and the last part was uphill so pleased with myself.:)

Good to hear you're starting to notice your weightloss LL. I don't think it's vain to be pleased when others notice. we all like compliments.:) I wore my William Morris print tunic again and had comments. I think it could be because it's blue and it's not a colour people usually see me in.

I think the Clarins Beauty Flash balm could well be a keeper. I've not been anywhere this week that warrants heavier make up so I've just been wearing that with some mascara, eyebrow powder and lipstick. I know I may have a little colour left from my holiday but I think it makes my skin look more dewy and alive. I'll make the decision when the travel size is used up. :)

We've no plans to go out this weekend for the first time in 6 weeks (8 if I include out holiday). It's quite a relief. :D
  • maman
    maman wrote: »
    Good to see you posting willow. You must have returned to the thread when I was away. Are you still with the same BF? Working? Excuse my natural nosiness. :o

Many apologies. I don't know why but it suddenly came back to me but the previous poster from many years ago was called Willow92. So it's obviously not you. That'll teach me for being so nosy. :o
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I bought a few new bits from the charity shop as well as some toiletries and a new umbrella.

I had a trip to the Chinese herbalist and then I got a black taxi home afterwards.

I'm using up the last pod of clothing dye with some of the clothes I bought today.

I read that Gok Wan book and it did give me a few ideas. I need some classic clothes in my wardrobe. I did buy a pencil skirt today. He said to wear it with a funky t-shirt to make it less prim.

He also said to look for a basic beige mac in a charity shop and dye it red. What a good idea.:T I'm going to look for one or maybe even look on ebay.

I'm going to do a face mask in the bath tonight too.
  • FrankieM
    FrankieM Posts: 2,454 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was looking forward to a weekend of 'no people' as it's been busy at work and the past 2 weekends have been social. I'm a natural introvert and look forward to time on my own to re-charge my batteries....

But the stars are against me, lol. My youngest was home last night until going out at about 10pm and I'm doing some babysitting of 3 of my grandchildren this morning.

So, I'm going to roll with it :)

I'm going to do a bit of a google search and see if they have any crafting etc groups here in the east midlands that I can join. I'd also like to learn a language.

I've never seen myself as particularly creative either humpty but I think we've all probably got something in us to create..I also tend to think we all have a book to write too :)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    FrankieM - my small town has two knit and natter groups, one run in and by the yarn shop (the one I go to) and another in the library. There is always someone more than willing to teach newbies to knit and crochet and to help those of us who have been knitting for a while, but due to lack of use have forgotten skills, or show us a neater way to do something.

I would add that we are a very mixed bunch of age and background and have some hilarious times:rotfl:

I hope that you find something that suits you. (Library is often a good place to ask/look to see what is going on in the area)
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hello Ladies,

Even though I am continuing to eat healthily, I am not losing any more weight. I am not giving up though because my body shape is changing and improving because I am doing daily exercise. :D

It is great to have more of my vast wardrobe of clothes fitting me, but I have a long way to go before I am able to wear my smallest tops, skirts and dresses. Even though I only own size 16 skirts, size 14 tops, jackets, cardigans, jumpers, and coats, they vary in actual size. This means that I do not need to buy new clothes as I continue to lose weight and change my body shape. :D

Frankie it must seem an impossible task to lose 8 stones in weight. It is achievable though. When I started my weight loss journey almost 2 years ago, I had reached an all time personal weight of 18 stones and 5 pounds and could not believe that I had allowed myself to gain so much weight over the years. :(

In hindsight, it seems almost laughable that when I used to weigh 12 stones I thought of myself as fat. :rotfl:

I have had many days in the past when I found it hard to resist chocolate, cakes, sweets, crisps and biscuits, but at long last I have found the will power and the determination to cut down over the last year until now I am able to do without all of these kinds of food. I have not given them up forever but I am trying to kick start my actual weight loss again.

My biggest tip for anyone who is trying to lose a large amount of weight is to do a daily food diary. Any old A5 notebook will do. Once you are able to see clearly your own eating and drinking patterns you will begin to understand your own personal relationship with food and drink and can then begin to make sustainable changes at your own pace.

Another tip is to look at your weight loss in achievable milestones. I am taking mine in stones now. My next goal is to go from my current weight of 16 stones to 15 stones. Once I am 15 stones, I will work on getting to 14 stones and on and on until I am finally at a personal weight that I feel comfortable in my own body with. :D

I am not waiting until I get to my end goal weight wise to enjoy my life. :D

I decided that this year was going to be my year for really going all out to enjoy myself on my limited budget. This is going to be my year of pleasurable events with the biggest event being my 1st ever Caribbean holiday with 2 of my sisters. :D

At 56 years old I can tell you Frankie, that the best years of your life have not already been lived. Do not postpone making changes in your life that will make a difference to how enjoyable you will find your own life until you reach a particular weight. Get out of your home and find free events in your area, learn a new skill, use existing skills in new ways. Try to expand your interests so that you are making new friends. None of our lives is only about what we choose to eat or drink. ;)

There is so much more we can all do with our lives than interests that are solitary and give us reasons to stay at home. My biggest passion in my life is reading. There is not a single day in my life that I do not read. I simply could not enjoy my life if I did not read every day. Yet, I read a lot less than I did say 5 years ago. It has taken me years to learn that snacking as I read does me no favours, so now I just concentrate on enjoying books, newspapers and magazines for the immense pleasure that they give me. :D

I can knit, sew and crochet, but I would not make time for these interests because I am indulging myself with pursuits that take me out of my comfort zone and out of my home. Not to mention the fact that I am a perfectionist and know that I am not talented enough in any of these creative skills that I first learnt as a child.

Whenever I am tempted not to make an effort with my personal grooming, being a participant of this thread makes me realise that I will regret it if I do not make the effort. We never know who we are going to encounter each day as we step through our front doors.

I do know that I want to have a positive effect on every other woman in my life and make them understand that looking fabulous has absolutely nothing to do with being a particular shape or size. it is about presenting the best versions of ourselves to the outside world day after day. :D
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Well said Sugarbabe.
    I saw Fisherman's Friends' on Wednesday and I thoroughly enjoyed it too. I don't take much notice of the critics as that's their job - to criticise. Saw Lala Land and although it was nice I must admit I was completely underwhelmed.
    Had to nip in to my local town yesterday and there just happens to be a lovely CS by where I needed to go. Always worth a look and I picked up a lovely black and white shift dress that is long enough for me - looked new or very lightly worn for the princely sum of 6.50! Washed and will wear it tonight for my friends Golden Wedding anniversary.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • OH and I did my hair last night..I'm not sure it was worth the stress :rotfl:

He didnt quite get the concept of getting sections of hair one by one. He looked at the back this morning (his designated section as I can't see it obviously) and his comment was "well no one sees that bit of your hair when it's down", so I feel I may need to get some kind of mirror set up whereby I can see what needs going over and try and touch it up. Roll on the next time when I can get it done by a hairdresser!

On the plus side, all of the parts I did came out lovely and lightened perfectly :rotfl:
  • maman
    That's a very profound post sugarbaby with loads of excellent advice.:T

I'd agree wholeheartedly about the food diary. I always do that when I feel I need to take a bit more control. It's not just that you can use it to review that you're eating a good balance of food groups, plenty of variety and not too many treats. The other effect for me is that knowing I have to write it down can actively put me off eating the wrong things. I think you're right about the manageable mini goals too. Reminds me of LL and her elephant analogy.:)

I think you're very brave letting your DH near your hair SSDD23. I'm not sure I could do that. My DD2 lets her DH cut her hair!:eek: She wears it very long and then tied up though so he can't do too much damage. She also colours it herself. It's strange because I brought both my girls up to go to the hairdresser regularly and only one has continued it into adult life. I suppose it's about priorities. If anything DD2 has potentially more disposable income than DD1 but she spends differently.

I know what you mean about needing to recharge Frankie. It was a joy for me to wake up this morning and know that I could take the day as slowly as I liked. I've had a long, leisurely read of the newspaper. I'm waiting for the flaxseed oil to soak in then I'll go out and do my food shop and I have the time to browse the CSs too if I want to. You did well with that dress silva. Enjoy your party. It's good having something new to wear for so little outlay.:)

It's dry and mild here but not much evidence of sunshine.:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport