Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've been trying for half an hour to make Southern Railway let me buy a rail ticket ... they really don't want to play! I used them as recently as July ... SouthEastern use the same customer-facing page, but they've graciously decided to accept my payment, same ticket, same times, everything. Online life is very crazy, sometimes.

So, today:
    - email Margate friend
    - back up computer.
    Those are left over from yesterday.

Then:
    - more gardening.
    - bit of cleaning and tidying.
    - send money to France, tax bill *and* maintenance bill are now due, rent isn't nearly enough. As I've said (endlessly) this should be the last time I need to do it.

I also need to sort out *how* to pay the tax bill - apparently the type of bank account you need to use to do that is changing. Sigh ... typical background sh1te that never stops. Ah well.

AND
    Today is the 25th. My very last mortgage payment on the French house is being taken today - its less than a third of the usual, because thats all the capital outstanding thats left.
    **faints with happiness** I wonder if I seriously need to give thought to finding a tax shelter - money will never build up, and tax is based on income, but the interest on the mortgage was claimable, and there's no interest any more. One more thing to research. Never mind, get the latest wodge of English money over to France, thats the next step. One thing at a time.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    :j :j :j yeay! to final French mortgage payment!!! :T :T :T
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hooray - now you are truly mortgage free on all fronts!:j:j:j:j:j
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,268 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Great news on the French mortgage :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thank you all! That's very kind :):):)

I confess, I didn't send the money off for the near-term bills, but I *did* work really hard in the garden - digging and bagging for an hour, then more tidying up - I need to pop out again quickly to pot up a huge bundle of garlic bulbs and individual cloves, they were left in the ground and overrun by my awful weeds. Free the cloves!
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Well done Karma -I must get my garden sorted out :o

Xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    It definitely feels good to do it, PP, it really does. I did pot up the garlic, it's all very close together, maybe I can repot it at the end of this year's planting season? More research needed, I think. Little steps - things are gradually getting straighter.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Just had a bit of a community moment here ... my house is right on the rec. ground, over the road, and an Air Ambulance just landed! Of course, everyone came out to see :) Other end of the square, so I don't know what was going on. But what struck me was how much space the helicopter needed to take off again. Only three feet off the ground, the copter turned 360 degrees, and then gained height (very slowly!) backwards. Towards the trees that are right outside my house. It honestly looked like everything was going to come to grief - I confess, I backed away.

Money has been sent to France - not a great exchange rate, but not the Armageddon the papers are making out.

Done SB too.
    More washing on the line - getting quite dry :):):)

Another hour's digging and cutting.

Admin email.

I might even do some scanning (yay!) and cleaning (boo!).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 26 September 2018 at 3:15PM
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Just had a bit of a community moment here ... my house is right on the rec. ground, over the road, and an Air Ambulance just landed! Of course, everyone came out to see :) Other end of the square, so I don't know what was going on. But what struck me was how much space the helicopter needed to take off again. Only three feet off the ground, the copter turned 360 degrees, and then gained height (very slowly!) backwards. Towards the trees that are right outside my house. It honestly looked like everything was going to come to grief - I confess, I backed away.

That sounds like a scary experience:eek:. I think I'd have backed away too. I hope whoever the casualty is makes a good recovery.

We are on the regular flight path for a lot of RAF planes and they often come roaring over quite low when they are presumably on training exercises. Very low, noisy and fast, they used to really spook our cat:eek:. They don't do much for my nerves either:o. The day of the big RAF event in London a few weeks ago we had several small groups of planes coming over en route for London. It must have been a mammoth undertaking for the organizers to get it all in synch as planes from airfields in various parts of the country, including Scotland were all en route that day. We got to see planes at close quarters that we normally didn't. OH and I were trying to recognise the one's that had flown over our garden when we watched the fly past on TV later.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks CBC :)

I'd have liked to see the ones preparing for the flypast :j:j:j

I saw a Hurricane and a Spitfire recently when they were circling for the Southport Air Show, that was fun :A but this helicopter was really something else!

Nothing else left to pretend to do - I have to go do more work in the garden!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure