MSE News: Been charged for unwanted Amazon Prime? Here's how to cancel

Options

Comments

• opaque
    opaque Posts: 183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Nice to see there are some sensible people on here.
    Far far far too many people thinking it's not their fault or responsibility.
    Even saying that because they'd not used it after the trial period they didn't need to pay for it!

An email saying you've got x days left would be nice but if you log into your account it tells you there as well.
  • fluffnutter
    fluffnutter Posts: 23,179 Forumite
    Options
    Azari wrote: »
    If there are a lot of customer complaints, then Amazon are getting it wrong.

It doesn't matter if you think that they (the customers) shouldn't have got it wrong, they have.

Fifty percent of the population are below average intelligence (and a good few more don't pay as much attention as they might), and these people need to be accounted for in the way systems are designed.

I find that whenever I order something from Amazon I have to continually bear in mind that they are trying to nudge me into signing up for Amazon prime and make sure I don't!

This is something Amazon need to sort out because it is well below their normally irreproachable level of service.

+ 1

The default delivery option is one that signs you up for Prime. It would be a massive improvement if this were changed. But that would obviously decrease the number of people signing up to Prime which absolutely suggests that people are doing so without realising.

Which is a sneaky way of doing business.
    "Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell" - Edward Abbey.
  • Tropez
    Tropez Posts: 3,696 Forumite
    Options
    theblagger wrote: »
    And why not Amazon remind people that they have signed up via a email message

They send you an email when you sign up. They also display a pretty obvious message on-screen when you sign up to the trial (which should be enough indication to cancel there and then if you don't want it). Whenever you are logged into Amazon from thereon it displays on every page you visit that you are on Amazon Prime (in two locations), if you use the same browser and device and don't clear cookies it also does this and it is three clicks to end your Prime membership/trial.

And it tells you on site when you'll be billed the £79 (or £39 when on a student membership).
  • theblagger
    theblagger Posts: 2,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I refer to my byline below ...

Ad hominem
    An attack upon an opponent in order to discredit their arguement or opinion. Ad hominems are used by immature and/or unintelligent people because they are unable to counter their opponent using logic and intelligence.
  • Heckie
    Heckie Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 February 2015 at 5:06PM
    Options
    I cancelled my Prime last week, by going into my Amazon account, select 'Your Prime Membership' and clicking 'End Membership'. I got a £46.12 refund…

So it would appear that you CAN simply just cancel it.
  • azzabazza
    azzabazza Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    Options
    Here is an extract from an email sent to me from Amazon last time I took advantage of free Prime. States quite clearly what to do.

If you want to continue your Prime membership after your free trial, do nothing. Your membership will automatically continue and we will charge the payment method you used when you signed up £79 for the next year and annually after that. If you prefer, you can choose "do not continue" before the initial charge, or "do not continue" before any renewal charge in Your Account and your payment method will not be charged for the next year. You can always request a refund of the most recent charge if your benefits have not been used in the new term. If we are unable to charge your preferred payment method, we will charge another payment method we have on file for you.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    What he or she said above ....Haters gonna Hate....
    And why not Amazon remind people that they have signed up via a email message or warn them they are coming to end of a trial

People may have used Amazon for years...but they are not everyone...lets have less of the me me culture

No, let's have less of the "I did it but it's not my fault, THEY SCAMMED ME!" culture.
  • sydroo
    sydroo Posts: 767 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    It states very clearly that it's a 30 day trial and if you don't cancel you will be charged, it's similar to the Spotify or Deezer offer. I don't understand where the confusion lies.
  • problemcashback
    Options
    ....Haters gonna Hate....

You can't go round here quoting taylor swift don't you know she has got it copyrighted :)
  • snowyw
    snowyw Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 16 February 2015 at 8:50PM
    Options
    Thank you for alerting me to this!
    This morning I purchased an item through Amazon and shortly afterwards received an email from Amazon welcoming me to Amazon Prime! How had I subscribed? I do not know, obviously I didn't untick the Prime option that I normally do, but thanks to your alert on Facebook, I swiftly went to my account and cancelled it. I would never have realised otherwise. Amazon is tricking people, without doubt!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback