Bath bomb, Bath melt & Soap recipes (merged)

Comments

• craftlady
    craftlady Posts: 256
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Ask at the pharmacy counter in your chemist.. £4 for 2Kg
    Wooligans member 2010 - 6 animal blankets. 2 angel wraps, 2 baby hat, 4 Aaron squares, 5 cardigans
    :A :A :A :A :A :A
  • betterlife
    betterlife Posts: 897
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    hi, im hoping there might be some people on here that can help me, in a bid to go more eco friendly i would like to make my own bath products, shampoos, skin creams, etc for me , my husband and 4 children (one of which is 8mths). if anyone has any instructions, recipes, idea`s, advice or links i`d be very greatful, thankyou.
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • Cullumpster
    Cullumpster Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    you're a star thanks :D

Just to be extra annoying and ask another question, how far in advance can you make these i.e weeks months years? sorry to be a pain in the harris :o
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi betterlife, I've moved you here as this may give you some ideas ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • Can anybody help me? please;)

I'm going to attempt to make some bath bombs,
    I have looked online for receipes,but they are all different!

would anyone be willing to share their secret,foolproof receipe?....please;)

I think i have worked out that 'corn starch' is 'cornflour' is that right??
    also what 'oils' can i use? essential oil,bath oil,fragrance oil?? is it what you would use for an oil burner?

sorry for all the questions,and fingers crossed someone can help me
    xx
  • somebody,,,,,,,anybody.....
    pleeeeeeeeeeeeasssssssssssse xx
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    http://www.thesoapkitchen.co.uk/bath_bomb_recipe.htm

This is a basic bath bomb recipe.

if you have a scout around ebay and goggle you will find loads of recipes.

Most bath bomb recipes stem from 2 ingredients - bicarb of soda & citric acid.

Anything else you choose to put in is up to you.

If you can get the ikea ice cube moulds these make great little bath bomb shapes and as they are silicone it makes them easier to pop out.

DO NOT use oil that you would put in an oil burner these are NOT designed to be put next to the skin and might cause a terrible reaction.

What you do need instead are ''essential oils'' they are about £1.20 for 10mls on ebay, and come in hundreds of scents.

An alternative to bath bombs is melt and pour soap. have a look for this on ebay. You can use the same ikea moulds and all you have to do to the soap is melt it in the microwave and add an oil or some lavender (available cheaply from a health food shop) wait for them to set and there done.

You can also pour the soap into cup cake cases - and add a soap embellishment using the ikea moulds, the possibilities are endless, its all about imagination.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • wanna-save-more
    wanna-save-more Posts: 224
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 15 July 2009 at 5:07PM
    Thank you princesswoo that links a great help:D

I did a search before but the receipes are all different,do i need to use cornflour?

I have ordered some bicarb of soda & citric acid from ebay,but thought i would look in town & smell some oils b4 buying them online

Thanks again for your help

xx
  • pretzelnut
    pretzelnut Posts: 4,301 Forumite
    I have never put cornflour in bath bomb recipe's.

Essential oils are quite strong as they are concentrated - so bear this in mind when smelling them. basically i have never had a problem buying essential oils on ebay - they smell exactly as they should - strawberry smells like strawberry and is almost edible. Apple is quite refreshing too. you can even get ones that smell like cookies & cream.

You can add little things like dried rose petals, these will hydrate once in the water and look really pretty floating around. You can also add dried lavender buds, perfect for a relaxing bath.

Both can be picked up from health shops.
    :TIs thankful to those who have shared their :T
    :T fortune with those less fortunate :T
    :T than themselves - you know who you are!
    :T
  • thank you:D

xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills