Cleaning Glass on a wood burning stove

Any Tips on quick cleaning. Is there any houshold cleaners that are suitable? Or do you have to send for the special cleaner?

Thanks
The measure of love is love without measure

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi John, my Raburn gave up the ghost a couple of years ago.No glass front to clean.
    http://www.woodheat.org/tips/technique.htm
    Also something here...
    http://davesgarden.com/place/t/577194/
  • John_3:16
    John_3:16 Posts: 849 Forumite
    The vingar and ash worked a treat!
  • Janey51
    Janey51 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Vinegar worked for me as well. Thanks for the tip.
  • Have been working useing the airwash on the stove although it still hazes a little no black stains. I elt it cool then washed with soapy water last night and it just wiped off
  • Elbow grease.
    I usually wipe the majority off with some newspaper and use a wet sponge pan cleaner for the tough bits.
  • Don't be so fussy, it just blacks up again

Although the MIL does waste her time cleaning it when she visits
  • Newbird
    Newbird Posts: 488 Forumite
    Try Hob-brite, as for ceramic hobs. Works really well. If you do it regularly and don't let black soot and tar build up, your stove front will always look like new!
    Bless Martin's Little Cotton Socks. I thank him for giving us MSE. Look what its grown into!

MFW = ASAP #124
  • suey2
    suey2 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Thanks newbird, just used 'hobrite' on our stove glass and it has come up an absolute treat. Wish we hadn't wasted £7.50 on Hotspot glass cleaner before I had read t:confused: his.!!
    "The trouble with being punctual is that nobody's there to appreciate it.":
  • Warm wet newspaper dipped in ash works for me.
    4kw PV fitted 4th July 2014 (Green Energy NW £5600). WSW facing, 30 deg Pitch, Unshaded, Samil Solar River inverter, 16 Solar World Mono panels, Iboost on Immersion Heater. located in mid Lincolnshire.
  • don't waste your hard earned on products, just wait till the glass is cold, put some newspaper covering on hearth and then crumple up old newspaper sheets dip in the ash in the stove and rub away on the class.Keep renewing the paper and ash every few wipes, finish off when all soot is off with dry crumpled newspaper to give clear sparkling glass. The glass will look great, put all the old paper in the fire, and just watch where you put your hands! coz you is gonna look like da Black and White Minstrels!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure