Advice needed for Combi boiler replacement

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Hi everyone and Happy Christmas,

e!

Joined today!

4 identical posts all promoting the same company.

Most of us like Turkey not spam at XMAS.

Methinks you might not last too long.
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    edited 23 December 2009 at 10:43PM
    Sounds poor, chemicals should be dearer, even if they're £10 each, (sentinel isn't)
    flush the old system, flush the new, and then inhibitor is three lots, and a magnaclean is always a good bet with a new system if you want it to last.
    What about TRV's?
  • sandhu40
    sandhu40 Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 22 January 2010 at 8:16PM
    Inhibitor £3
    Cleanser £15
    TRV's around £5 each, £3 if you buy in bulk but may have been present already?

Hot and cold flush is ideal and a magna clean may have been suggested but customers dont want to pay the extra in my experience. We can only advise.

The above does seem a cheap price however. We pay £450 for that boiler inc VAT; but depends on how many you buy I suppose.

mrcentralheating does some amazing heating pack prices if anyone is interested.

Regarding the above posting on www.newboiler.co.uk I know this company quite well. I know where they buy their stock from and they buy lots of it so yes it will be cheaper than the average engineer can get it. I havent got a bad word to say, they have lots of engineers and seem to be busy all year around. Lucky for some hey!
  • Also a powerflush is a good idea also, but it will cost around £400.
  • thechippy
    thechippy Posts: 1,938 Forumite
    sandhu40 wrote: »
    Also a powerflush is a good idea also, but it will cost around £400.

The more I see this, the more it amazes and annoys me!
    A powerflush done properly may take 4-6 hours, basically less than a full day.
    Please justify a labour rate of £400 + per day.......:rolleyes:
    Happiness, is a Kebab called Doner.....:heart2::heart2:
  • sandhu40
    edited 22 January 2010 at 8:18PM
    It would be around 8 hours to do the work. 6 on the first and 2 on the second. So charging £250 labour (which is what I would have to charge to match that offer) would still mean me earning around £40 per hour. Just goes to show that some companies that charge ridiculous amounts like £2000 for a straight swap are simply over overcharging- whatever that boiler!

A 24kw boiler would typically be ideal for a small flat or house. Anything bigger would require a more powerful boiler.

I have just checked www.newboiler.co.uk and there is lots of stuff adding there now so have a read if you dont know much.

You can build your own quote which is quite innovative- might work well.
  • thechippy
    It would be around 8 hours to do the work. 6 on the first and 2 on the second. So charging £250 labour (which is what I would have to charge to match that offer) would still mean me earning around £40 per hour. Just goes to show that some companies that charge ridiculous amounts like £2000 for a straight swap are simply over overcharging- whatever that boiler!

A 24kw boiler would typically be ideal for a small flat or house. Anything bigger would require a more powerful boiler.

Yep, I agree. The charges of some heating companies are just laughable. If you charge around £250 for a powerflush, then you are one of the fairer guys around. Trouble is, you see it all too often, self employed guys charging £400 + for a powerflush - this is simply not justified and gives the better guys a bad name.
  • HI, the £400 was not just for labour. £400 is for labour, chemicals and the supply and fit of a magna clean- which is a must for obvious reasons!
  • thechippy
    HI, the £400 was not just for labour. £400 is for labour, chemicals and the supply and fit of a magna clean- which is a must for obvious reasons!

So what's the cost of a magna clean and the chemicals?
  • sandhu40
    edited 22 January 2010 at 8:19PM
    Around £100 - £110

on www.newboiler.co.uk they supply and fit a magnaclean for £135. I would charge £150 but I dont cover the whole of the midlands haha
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure