To buy and renovate or not?

2»

Comments

• Thanks for all the helpful comments. I've also spoken to some close friends and feel a bit more like I can probably cope with it all. And I do think it stands a good chance of being a reasonable investment once it's all done. I've asked for another viewing, though have heard nothing back, hopefully that's just because it's the weekend and not because the other buyer has already taken it.
  • phil_b wrote: »

My last house was a full rip-out and start again job, larger than what you're facing, and it didn't seem too manic. My current renovation is 1,500 square feet and needs everything imaginable, including an excavated basement! I'd say it's starting to get a little more stressful...

More than I could cope with I think :eek:, I imagine it completely takes over your life. But you're right, this place is only little.
  • If you do decide to go for it , do not go for the standard home buyers survey . It's worth paying a little more for a more thorough and detailed look into everything .
  • If you do decide to go for it , do not go for the standard home buyers survey . It's worth paying a little more for a more thorough and detailed look into everything .

I worry that the detailed structural survey wouldn't be that useful though, as it's a ground floor flat in a converted home, and it only covers a third of the ground floor, or maybe even only a quarter, I'm not sure of the layout. The surveyor wouldn't be able to get anywhere near the roof for instance, as there's a flat up there.

I've heard elsewhere on these forums that it is useful to go to the property with the surveyor, or at least have a phone call with them, as they often feel like they can speak more freely (they have to cover themselves legally with the written report), so I think I'll try and do that.
  • I worry that the detailed structural survey wouldn't be that useful though...

We had a detailed structural survey on the house we're in now - they mention *everything* to cover themselves. Made it sound like the place was falling down, nearly didn't buy it...fast forward 14 years to now - it's great!
  • Just an update - I decided to go for it and my offer was just accepted. I imagine I will be back on this board to ask advice on some things...

Maybe several things...

OK probably basically everything. Sorry :o
  • but it was converted into flats in the mid-70's I believe, so it's been standing a good while, and hasn't fallen down yet.

But ... building regs weren't that great in the 1970s and a flat conversion might have been done on the cheap, especially in terms of noise insulation and fireproofing, compared to today.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure