Wood burning stoves>

Options
1434445464749»

Comments

• Smiley_Dan
    Smiley_Dan Posts: 948 Forumite
    Options
    A regulatory body that doesn't regulate.
    Unfortunately there are quite a lot of those!
  • Barbet
    Barbet Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Was hoping for some advice about stove installation. :) Do let me know if I should post elsewhere.

I'm wanting to install a wood burning stove in my sitting room - but I am really unsure what size stove to get. I've used the calculators online - but to be honest they haven't helped! As I'm most confused about whether going for a stove bigger than 5kw and having to have a air vent is going to mitigate any heat and just be a total pain. Any thoughts or advice gratefully received!

A little bit about the house: I live in a cottage which was redeveloped about 6 years ago. It does have cavity wall insulation (albeit not in all of the walls - maybe the builders forgot??). The sitting room is open plan and is about 36m2 - but has the front and back door opening into it (there are a few stairs before the back door). The staircase to upstairs is also located within the room. The other rooms in the house (with doors) are warm, but the sitting room is uncomfortably cold for most of the year - although this has improved since adding better draught proofing to the front and back doors.

Stove size: Depending on whether I say the house is insulated or not, the calculator comes back with a suggested stove size of 4.6kw or 7kw. I'm inclined to think that higher would be better due to the coldness from the doors.

Presuming I went for a 7kw stove, I'd need to have an air vent installed. However the stove is not able to be located on an external wall, meaning that an air vent would be fair distance away - and presumably pulling cold air into the room and defeating the point of the stove?????

If I went for a stove that was less that 5kw I am worried that it just wouldn't be warm enough.

Any suggestions of what to do or any experience? Other than get an electric fire!
    Trying to live frugally as the money isn't growing on trees :snow_grin
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    Go for a 4.9kw. Charnwood do these and ours is Awesome. British made and fires out the heat. Highly highly recommend.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Barbet wrote: »
    Presuming I went for a 7kw stove, I'd need to have an air vent installed. However the stove is not able to be located on an external wall, meaning that an air vent would be fair distance away - and presumably pulling cold air into the room and defeating the point of the stove?????

I'd get a 7KW one and block up the air vent if it gets too cold. You'll have a CO detector as a backup just in case. I doubt it'll even be needed anyway unless you have a bad draw. They are mostly installed just to satisfy the regs.
  • Smiley_Dan
    Options
    These air vent requirements are seriously bad for energy efficiency. In fact, stoves in general can be challenging to make efficient, at least when they aren't running. Their cast iron becomes a conductor of heat into the chimney and up out of your house and they are a source of air leakage both directly through the vents in the stove and also indirectly via holes knocked in walls to satisfy regulations.

The first thing to remember is that there is a reason the regulations are there in the first place. So you have to be mindful of that.

There are two advances in posher stoves - those with a direct air supply (so there's no need for an open vent - it is ducted to the stove) and those that are "room sealed" which are quite expensive I think.

More here: http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/stoves-for-airtight-houses.html
  • Barbet
    Barbet Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

The 2 stoves I've been looking at (one 4.7kw and the other 7kw) can both accept a direct air supply - which does seem a better approach - if more costly.

Anybody got experience of installing a direct air supply to a stove - but where the stove isn't on the outside wall?
    Trying to live frugally as the money isn't growing on trees :snow_grin
  • Smiley_Dan
    Options
    Doesn't it come down to the recommendations around length and number of bends in the ducting? I would've thought that would be documented with the stove.
  • Chimney_Sweep_3
    Options
    get a stove that states a nominal 5kw not a max, it will be 4-6KW and should suit you fine also will require no vent, you are better getting a slightly smaller and running it hot. If you have a suspended floor a vent can go in that close to the stove.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure