Free wireless internet and cheap 3G broadband article discussion

Options

Comments

• bluejosiah
    bluejosiah Posts: 410 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just looked into the Quidco deal for 3 Mobile Broadband 5GB Promotion and it says that it is an 18 month contract not 24 as stated in the main article here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/phones/cheap-mobile-broadband#wireless
    18months makes it slightly more attractive - though the deal is due to expire tomorrow.
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    poindexter wrote: »
    Thanks for the warning, but got to say I had heard bad things about 3 but am currently on the pay as you go £10 per month for 1GB mobile broadband package and no problems so far. I'm interested in this new package as its a much better deal than the one I'm on.

Good that it works, which area do you live??
    We've just had an email stating that the order is being processed so we should find out in a few days time whether all is ok. The other slight problem maybe is it's for use on a mac. We've been assured that the advertised dongle is the best one for this purpose with drivers already "added".

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Simonc1
    Options
    I followed the reference to the cheap deal via Quidco to get 3 mobile broadband package. Signed up on Wednesday, USB delivered on Friday, now all working perfectly. Nice when things go well!
  • Lynsey
    Lynsey Posts: 9,486 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did it track ok on Quidco for £12.50??
    Our has been delayed.

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target £600 - :staradmin (x21)
    No. 6 Total £740.00 - No. 7 £1000.00 - No. 8 £875.00 - No. 9 £700.00 (target met)
  • Simonc1
    Options
    Nothing on Quidco yet - althought to be fair it was the 3 offer I was most interested in.
  • loopholelarry
    Options
    There is a major loophole in Vodafone's IN STORE offers on mobile broadband.

Amongst others, the following 2 standard options are available to customers:
    1)Customers can get a free Huawei E220 (3.6mps) modem on a 12 month contract for £15/month for 3GB monthly usage.
    2)For customers not wishing to enter in to a 12 month contract, they can buy the modem for £49 and then pay £20 per month for the 3GB on a rolling 30 day contract.

There are the following twists to these offers which can be mixed together to create the loophole:
    3)Customers connecting to the 12 month contract for £15/month for 3GB monthly usage who do not take the modem are entitled to a one-off £150 bill credit instead.
    4)There is an offer for existing customers who have any, minimum 12 month term, contract with Vodafone whereby they can take the 30 day option for £20 per month but do not actually have to pay the £49 for the modem.

The way to get up to 3.6mps 3G broadband for less than £5 per month for 3GB monthly usage is the following:

Head to your nearest Vodafone store and ask for both the £15/month mobile broadband for 3GB on a 12 month contract without a modem (to get the £150 credit) and also the 30 day £20/month option with a free modem (which you will be eligible for because you now have a 12 month contract with them).

The salesperson should honour this request as this is effectively 2 contract sales for the salesperson.

Put the SIM card you have been given for the 12 month contract in to the modem and as soon as is practicable, give the 30 days notice required to cancel the 30 day broadband, so that you have effectively obtained the modem for £20.

The charges for the 12 months from the date of you signing the 2 contracts will then be the following:

Month 1: £35 (£15 + £20)
    Months 2 to 12: £15

In total that makes £200 of charges for 12 months of usage. However offsetting these charges is the £150 credit applied to your account on day 1.

That's therefore £50 for 12 months of 3G broadband- less than £5 per month
    :T

Technical note:
    If you stay within the 3GB/month limit, you will therefore pay nothing on the contract(s) for the first 8 months because your account will still be in credit. You will then pay £5 in month 9 and the £15 per month for months 10, 11 and 12 as the credit will have been used up by the previous charges.

:money:

Loopholelarry
  • carlm1984
    carlm1984 Posts: 317 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All,

I am looking at anyone that knows about mobile broadband.
    Basically at the moment im still having to use dial up just mainly as i dont have a bt line so i cant seem to get anything.
    So was wondering bout getting mobile broadband although i know it wont be super quick, its gotta be better than my dial-up.
    So was wondering if anyone out there could tell me anymore? and also what is the best for money out there

Cheers
  • walmergreen
    Options
    All I can say is that I got the Three dongle.....they eventually offered it at £5 pm. It didn't work and the 3 tech chap configured it to work manually. It flew......a faster speed than I get from AOL on the landline. However, he also said that as I was more than 1 mile from the aerial that the signal would always be dropping out. As I wanted it for use in a caravan when away, the concept is that caravan sites, or anywhere outside a city will not be littered with mobile phone masts and the service will revert to GPRS and G2 which mean slower than your dialup. If you are in the middle of one of the big cities then it is really good, but if you're rural then it tends to fall away. Other people could have different experiences but I am on the south coast and only about 70 miles from London and it didn't work here.
    Hope this helps
    Alex
  • allthatmularky
    Options
    I'm looking myself for mobile broadband - after a little research this is what I have found.

The two best deals presently are :-
    Vodafone 3GB for £15 - go through quidco and get £90 cashback plus another £5 and a free PAYG phone by using a voucher - 12 month deal so a little over £7pcm.

Three 5GB for £7.50 - you need to go through Quidco get £12.50 cashback - this is an 18 month contract - so sub £7pcm with an extra 2GB.

However, presently I would favour Vodafone - although 2GB less, most folks seem to think their network is better for coverage while travelliing and only tied for 12 months.

Seems like the 3 deal has been pulled.
  • clare74
    clare74 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    Does any one know if this offer has finished, it was via Quidco
    £7.50 a month for 5Gb mobile broadband on 3 with free dongle. I can't find it? :huh:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure