What spends less KhW

Options
Hi,

I have newbie question related to heating. The flat where we leave has central heating (hot water comes from the central boiler and we're charged per KhW) and 2 thermostats.

I can set that heating kicks on e.g. when the temperature in the room is below 20 degrees. In the room, we have a radiator which has a dial from 1 to 6.

My question is:

- if I want to have room at 23 degrees, will we spend more KhW if the dial is set to level 3 instead of 6 (heating will be on for a longer time as the radiator is not going to be that hot)? Or as radiator is not that warm = less energy is consumed => less KhW

thank you

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As its gas central heating the thermostats on the radiator make no difference to the amount of gas used, all they do is control how hot the radiator gets when the boiler is running. If they're off, the radiator stays cold and the system just moves onto the next radiator in the system. The gas is used regardless.

Your gas usage is more dependent on how efficient (and how long) the boiler is running for and how high you have the wall thermostat set.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fewer kwh = less heat = you might not be warm enough because the room may not get enough heat.

The amount of heat required to heat a room and keep it warm is determined by the temperature inside, the temperature outside and the insulation value of the walls, floors, windows, doors etc.

If you turn the radiator down or reduce the thermostat temperature, then obviously the room wont get so warm, you'll lose less heat and you'll reduce the number of kwh that you use. However as the room wont be as warm you might not be warm enough.

In the end it's trial and error and it can take a few weeks to get the balance right between the thermostat settings and the radiator valve settings so you are comfortable and not over or underheating the flat or any of the rooms in it.

A lot will depend on the location of the thermostats and the location and settings of the radiator valves.

I'm guessing that you've got a centralised heating system in the block and you've got a heat meter to measure how much heat you are using - perhaps it would be wise to set up a spreadsheet and read the meter regularly for a while to get some idea of how much energy you are using.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport