Sky buyout of O2 Broadband

Options

Comments

• jem16
    jem16 Posts: 19,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    bazza1603 wrote: »
    Is this still the old Legacy package Im on?

O2 Home Broadband Standard 12 months

Yes it is.
  • geekgirl
    geekgirl Posts: 998 Forumite
    Options
    Sky have bought O2, so you'll be going to them anyway.

They haven't yet, but will be done by around 14 months. I suspect for Sky to go ahead o2 need a good amount of clients to hand over hence the keeping folks from leaving at all costs.
  • Bumble_Bee_1000
    Options
    Thanks alot for all of the advice. I had an email yesterday saying that my discount for having a monthly contract had come to an end and my tariff would go up to £9.50 a month. I phoned and spoke to an adviser and straight away they offered me the free 12 months with no change to my package so still unlimited downloads. They are basically trying to stop loads of people leaving when they move it over to Sky. Nice result for us anyway!
  • Greg1974
    Greg1974 Posts: 15 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2013 at 1:20AM
    Options
    sfry wrote: »
    This forum is brilliant. Told O2 I was leaving to go to Plusnet. Not only promptly
    offered the 12 months free but also moved to the more expensive unlimited
    package rather than the basic package I was on. They are also posting
    me a new better router box.

So did even better than anticipated. :j
    A better router box? So they've sent you one that isn't a buggy and unstable Thomson router then? In my experience, all routers made by Thomson are absolute junk!

Meanwhile, I've got my MAC key, and I'm moving from O2 to Plusnet FTTC very soon.
    Only problem is, Plusnet routers are also Thomson's ... not looking forward to that!
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There's no requirement to use the Plusnet supplied router. Use your own if you prefer.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • steve-L
    steve-L Posts: 12,981 Forumite
    Options
    HELP:
    I joined the thread thinking I wouldn't go with Sky if they paid me....
    (Previous experience and friend who gave up when they failed to turn up 3x when he took time off work and then tried charging him)

HOWEVER £200 on mobile and FREE year is maybe beyond that!
    (It seems I'm not alone)...
    To be honest I was reluctant to move from Be to O2 but the discount for having the mobile contract (which i already had) and needing a phone line got me to compromise and they have been fairly good....
    Lost my static IP and most of the real goodies I had on Be but ... don't get near as much time to play now as I have a kid... and didn't back in my Be times!

Am I too late.....
    Stupid but didn't open the letter until last night.... (too busy with work)

Can someone say (pm me if you prefer)
    What did you do exactly.....
    Did you call the 230 0202 and press the option to leave?
    What did you say.....
    I have a day working from home today so I can try and take care....
    Planning to move BEFORE September....

My reality is I NEED internet to work.. (like today) or its costs me £26/d to go into the office.
    Hence when I moved I stayed with O2 due to the deal and them transferring the line and everything within the day....
  • leew
    leew Posts: 726 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ever since hearing about skys takeover and getting offered 12 mths for free the connection has been up and down - not been able to use it at all for 3 days :mad:

Rubbish.
  • only_mee
    only_mee Posts: 2,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    steve-L wrote: »
    HELP:
    I joined the thread thinking I wouldn't go with Sky if they paid me....
    (Previous experience and friend who gave up when they failed to turn up 3x when he took time off work and then tried charging him)

HOWEVER £200 on mobile and FREE year is maybe beyond that!
    (It seems I'm not alone)...
    To be honest I was reluctant to move from Be to O2 but the discount for having the mobile contract (which i already had) and needing a phone line got me to compromise and they have been fairly good....
    Lost my static IP and most of the real goodies I had on Be but ... don't get near as much time to play now as I have a kid... and didn't back in my Be times!

Am I too late.....
    Stupid but didn't open the letter until last night.... (too busy with work)

Can someone say (pm me if you prefer)
    What did you do exactly.....
    Did you call the 230 0202 and press the option to leave?
    What did you say.....
    I have a day working from home today so I can try and take care....
    Planning to move BEFORE September....

My reality is I NEED internet to work.. (like today) or its costs me £26/d to go into the office.
    Hence when I moved I stayed with O2 due to the deal and them transferring the line and everything within the day....
    I just went through all the options on the phones to get to the "if you are thinking of leaving press #" I just said i'm thinking of leaving then the operator offered me 12 months free bb £200 mobile credit a new router n series i think? The operator did everything to keep me lol
  • Gordon_Hose
    Gordon_Hose Posts: 6,259 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    leew wrote: »
    Ever since hearing about skys takeover and getting offered 12 mths for free the connection has been up and down - not been able to use it at all for 3 days :mad:

Rubbish.

Could just be coincidence. Have you called to report a fault?.
  • emilisa
    Options
    Can anyone enlighten me please?

I am about to sign up with O2 for broadband, having ended my contract with AOL after 8 years+ with them.

O2 seems to have the cheapest deal , both on this site and on theirs, but when I rang them to enquire about signing up they said there was a one off connection fee of £28.53 plus the monthly £8.75 for a year's contract. Later I rang again a different number and they said it would be a one off fee of £25 for connecting new customers!

Is this common practice to charge one off connection fees?What do they actually do for this money? Is it possible to haggle on this?
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport