o2 price increase

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    The problem is I am still within the 12 months minimum contract period (renewed arround last Aug), can they do this? If they can do whatever they want, what is the contract about?

You can now get out of your contract scot free.

From o2 website:
    you can leave without penalty if you tell us within 30 days of receiving your price change notification letter or email

http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/pca.jsp
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    macman wrote: »
    Yes they can. There is always a provision in the contract for them to increase the price within the minimum term.

Not by any amount they choose!

They can only increase because of inflation or govt. action.

These increases are way above inflation, and as already posted, anyone not wanting to pay the increase can cancel their contract.
  • Thanks. Seems O2 is increasingly becoming hostile to their customers. Recently they did a quite dirty trick on my new mobile contract with them, making me lose £260 for the two years contract period. Wondering what happened to this company. Will see if I can get a better offer from somewhere else.
  • CCFC_80
    CCFC_80 Posts: 1,289 Forumite
    Just to add again.Has anyone tried phoning them threatening to leave and to see if they would be prepared to freeze or reduce their current monthly bill .I definitely will before price increase comes into effect.
  • andy46 wrote: »
    Just to add again.Has anyone tried phoning them threatening to leave and to see if they would be prepared to freeze or reduce their current monthly bill .I definitely will before price increase comes into effect.

Refering to my last post regarding the mobile contract problem, it is exactly because I "threatened" to leave(actually I did mean to leave) and they "retained" me with an attractive deal. Only after 3 months I found they are charging me £10 more per month and an additional one off £20 (seems a billing glitch). I argued with them it's not what had been agreed and it must be a mistake because how I could agree a deal that were more expensive than their standard web listed deal? But they simply didn't confess and insisted that that was the deal.

Not mean to scare you but be carefull when you agree with them on anything, just ask for a writing confirm ( although a similar occasion happened to another guy on their forum who did have the printed contract but they said the contract was wrong so it's invalid. But it's better than having nothing as evidence). They are quite different nowadays.
  • AAB
    AAB Posts: 78
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    andy46 wrote: »

I rang up today threatening to cancel but they would not budge on price for the old package. They did however offered 6 months free on the new allrounder package for £12.50/month which works out £75 for a year instead of what would have been £84 (with the price increase £9.50-£2.50 discount X 12 months) if I had stayed on the old package. I will also get the new N router free.
  • AAB wrote: »
    I rang up today threatening to cancel but they would not budge on price for the old package. They did however offered 6 months free on the new allrounder package for £12.50/month which works out £75 for a year instead of what would have been £84 (with the price increase £9.50-£2.50 discount X 12 months) if I had stayed on the old package. I will also get the new N router free.

That's pretty clear they are trying to offload customers from legacy products.
  • steven_cardwell
    steven_cardwell Posts: 220
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 February 2011 at 8:47PM
    Just phoned and asked for my MAC, i have moved my mobile over to Giff Gaff, so will be losing the discount, and then the price increase, i decided to start looking at other options.

Have to admit, that O2 are gagging to get customers onto the new packages, been getting non stop texts offering 6 month free broadband, if that isn't a case of trying to push, what is?

On the phone, like others have said, i got the script about the government and getting everybody on broadband and protecting the service etc etc, and that every provider would be doing the same as O2, he also tried to get me to use someone elses O2 mobile for the discount, then they were going to give me broadband for £7 a month, still the legacy, now this could have been true, but i have doubts after reading on the O2 forums about existing customers being lied to, and being moved onto the new packages when resigning.

The bit i have to laugh about, and to be honest, i've never had this when changing ISP before, i now have my MAC, but i can't use it for 7 days, or they will charge me (i'm assuming a disconnection fee) plus my contract finished last October, all i have ever done before is get my MAC, use it straight away, then get info from new provider on change over dates, i know about the router going back, but they want the cable and microfilter back as well, i've been with O2 for years, not even sure if the cable and microfilter is even the ones that came with the router, i think asking for the router back is ok, but the cables/microfilter, that is just a joke!

Now to get past the next 7 days, suppose at the very least it will let me make my mind up on who to move to next.
  • Patr100
    Patr100 Posts: 2,562
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 February 2011 at 4:02AM
    Quentin wrote: »
    The issue does get clouded:

The new basics package at £8.50 (after 31/3) does give you up to 20meg download.

Whereas the "old" unlimited package (going to £9.50 for o2 mobile customers) is "capped" at 8meg download.

Not download, speed. The basics is up to 20 Gigabytes download and 20 megaBITS maximum speed (unlikely unless you are very lucky).
  • Old_Git
    Old_Git Posts: 4,743
    First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    my mate received this today from O2

Our Home Broadband prices are changing

Internet use has changed dramatically over the last few years and this is likely to continue. We need to increase our prices so we can still give you the level of service you’d expect from us.

From 31 March 2011 your monthly broadband cost will be £9.50. Any discount or free period you already have – like a three months free offer – will stay unchanged.

You don’t need to do anything, but if you’d like to know more about your options, or want to compare our prices to the market, go to o2.co.uk/pca

Best regards
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family