4th time in a year 1st class parcel has been late.

This is getting quite frustrating now, nearly every time i have to use royal mail first class for parcels it is taking a week, never in a reasonable time frame. The most recent thing i ordered was dispatched Monday morning, still hasn't come. It must of happened about 4 to 5 times this year now, every time i complain and get the same excuses, every time the same stress and anxiety, same with second class. It is only a small parcel too seeing as its only a hat.

Thing is, it doesn't seem to happen with other members of my family, they get stuff in a reasonable time frame most times. Could someone try explain what may be happening because this driving me mental to be honest. cheers.

Comments

• shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 September 2019 at 8:13PM
    They are not actually being delivered late simply because there is no guaranteed delivery time with 1st or 2nd class mail.
    All that RM state is that they aim to deliver the next day, this doesn't always happen.

How long before the "you are all Royal Mail employees" comment?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Stress and anxiety from a hat being delivered late.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,409 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Might depend on where you live.

If you need something fast then you will have to pay for 24/48 hour delivery.
    Life in the slow lane
  • They are not actually being delivered late simply because there is no guaranteed delivery time with 1st or 2nd class mail.
    All that RM state is that they aim to deliver the next day, this doesn't always happen.

They are the biggest mail carrier in the UK, they have a duty to deliver items whatever it may be in a reasonable time frame, making someone have to wait a week in there house and have to cancel everything else is not acceptable. I don't give a toss what there corporate lingo says, just so they can cover there own backs.

Even postmen i have talked to are saying it is getting ridiculous, and that they feel the system is letting the public down. I don't blame the postman on the street, i blame the management and the lack of money put in to modernize the service.
  • Jud12345 wrote: »
    They are the biggest mail carrier in the UK, they have a duty to deliver items whatever it may be in a reasonable time frame,

If you want a guaranteed delivery then you need to buy a guaranteed service. Quite simple.
    Jud12345 wrote: »

making someone have to wait a week in there house and have to cancel everything else is not acceptable.

Bizarre.
  • Jud12345 wrote: »
    They are the biggest mail carrier in the UK, they have a duty to deliver items whatever it may be in a reasonable time frame, making someone have to wait a week in there house and have to cancel everything else is not acceptable. I don't give a toss what there corporate lingo says, just so they can cover there own backs.

The majority of 1st class mail does get delivered within a reasonable time frame.
    As already stated by others, 1st class delivery the next day is an aim and not a guarantee and if you want or need a guaranteed next day delivery then this is available but at a higher price.
  • Yeah like i said, its not unreasonable to expect something in a reasonable time frame, and advertising something as 1-3 days then providing a completely different service is deception, end of.

I didn't have the option or money to get a guaranteed service (not everyone is well off) and nothing said refutes what i have said.

Instead of saying it will arrive in 1-3 days they should state it will take 5-7 instead, on the actual page not buried within the terms and conditions, also not call it ''first class'' because it is not a first class service.

I am not the only person complaining about this and this is not an uncommon occurrence anymore.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    RM next day delivery is guaranteed

Not sure why you think otherwise.

Never had a failed delivery using it
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Never had a problem myself with Royal Mail.

Now Yodel and Hermes that is another matter altogether...........
  • I have said all i can now, many people are not happy with what is going on and the only thing what can be done is to complain to royal mail themselves, through letter and email, i have done this before and a parcel strangely turned up at half 7 in the morning next day.

It is probably a problem with my delivery office, the postmen i have spoken to are not happy either as i have stated as they are the ones who get the flack even though it is really more poor management and the lack of willingness to hire more staff(i am smarter than just blaming the postie, he is the last link in the chain)

I cannot imagine royal mail existing in the future if things keep going as they are, unless big improvements are made, and can be made more accountable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure