Pocket money/allowance

Not sure if I have posted in the right place so please forgive if I haven’t.
My son is starting secondary in sept and I was wondering how much pocket money allowance to give him per week??
At the moment he doesn’t get any as I buy him treats etc.. when we are out shopping but I know when he goes to big school he will want some money to go out with friends or to buy sweets etc..... I don’t want to fall into the trap of saying I will pay for stuff instead of giving him the money and it end up costing me a fortune.
He is almost 12 so I want to start giving him money so he can save or spend it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• I have 3 children, currently aged 8, 13, 14.

The way I’ve done it so far is to give each child 3x their age in pocket money a month. This covers EVERYTHING that is a want rather than a need outside of Xmas and birthdays. Toys, sweets, magazines, Xbox points etc, for the older ones trips to the cinema or meals with their friends.

I also pay for a £10 SIM for the older 2. They buy their own phones or get them for Xmas.

They get it paid weekly onto a gohenry card. The older 2 have just set up proper bank accounts, and will now get it monthly.

I have just decided to increase this to 5x, to also cover clothes (other than uniform). They are also expected to save enough of this to cover irregular costs such as friends birthday presents and Xbox / football club subscriptions (c. £30pa).

I know it seems like a lot, but I went through how much I was actually spending on the random treats / magazines / books / party gifts etc, and it’s less overall. I think it’s very important that they learn to manage their money as soon as they are capable. Plus it completely stops all nagging. If they have the money they can buy it. If not they can’t. Full stop. It’s amazing how often they decide they don’t really want something that much when it’s their money they’re spending on it...!

The eldest is a spender. He’s always spent all of his money straight away. He also decided to spend £25pm on a contract for a new iPhone. That comes out of his allowance.

The middle son is a saver. He doesn’t spend on anything other than occasional sweets and has hundreds saved.

The youngest blows most of hers in smiggle every now and again. But has saved some to buy some specific doll accessories she wanted.
  • I give mine £50 a month
    Interest rate 1.25%, offset mortgage Woolwich
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have 3 children, currently aged 8, 13, 14.

The way I’ve done it so far is to give each child 3x their age in pocket money a month. This covers EVERYTHING that is a want rather than a need outside of Xmas and birthdays. Toys, sweets, magazines, Xbox points etc, for the older ones trips to the cinema or meals with their friends.

I also pay for a £10 SIM for the older 2. They buy their own phones or get them for Xmas.

They get it paid weekly onto a gohenry card. The older 2 have just set up proper bank accounts, and will now get it monthly.

I have just decided to increase this to 5x, to also cover clothes (other than uniform). They are also expected to save enough of this to cover irregular costs such as friends birthday presents and Xbox / football club subscriptions (c. £30pa).

I know it seems like a lot, but I went through how much I was actually spending on the random treats / magazines / books / party gifts etc, and it’s less overall. I think it’s very important that they learn to manage their money as soon as they are capable. Plus it completely stops all nagging. If they have the money they can buy it. If not they can’t. Full stop. It’s amazing how often they decide they don’t really want something that much when it’s their money they’re spending on it...!

The eldest is a spender. He’s always spent all of his money straight away. He also decided to spend £25pm on a contract for a new iPhone. That comes out of his allowance.

The middle son is a saver. He doesn’t spend on anything other than occasional sweets and has hundreds saved.

The youngest blows most of hers in smiggle every now and again. But has saved some to buy some specific doll accessories she wanted.

Reading this really took me back. We did this for our DDs who are now grown up and left home. DD1 is still a saver. She's great with money and saves to buy quality. DD2's money 'burns a hole in her pocket' in that she loves spending and everything she buys seems to be disposable (Primark etc). :)

All I'd add is that taking your child through the process of how you calculate the allowance is good financial education in itself. We sat down with the girls and wrote down everything we spent on them (cinema, swimming, out of school clothes, hairdresser, treats etc) and then divided it by 12 for a monthly allowance. We still bought gifts and school uniforms.
  • When I was young pocket money in our family was enough for some sweets, or comics.

One of our group of friends got far more but had to pay for his own clothes, shoes, books etc, and the rest of us didn’t like the idea at all. It seemed to allow adulthood to intrude into childhood too early.
  • maman
    When I was young pocket money in our family was enough for some sweets, or comics.

One of our group of friends got far more but had to pay for his own clothes, shoes, books etc, and the rest of us didn’t like the idea at all. It seemed to allow adulthood to intrude into childhood too early.

Ours were at secondary school and able to go into town without us and shop before we introduced the allowance.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,293 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    How much are you spending on treats at present?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    I like the idea of doing 3x their age.....I have previously done 50p per year at school and that's worked well but it does get a bit complicated/competitve so i've been giving my younger two (who are 6 and 7) £5 a month and eldest (9) £10 for the past year or so. Once he gets to 11 I'll be taking him to get a bank account and I'll transfer his money into there instead of giving him cash.
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • maman
    aimeemum wrote: »
    I like the idea of doing 3x their age.....I have previously done 50p per year at school and that's worked well but it does get a bit complicated/competitve so i've been giving my younger two (who are 6 and 7) £5 a month and eldest (9) £10 for the past year or so.

I can see that it's an easy rule of thumb for a child to work out but would that just be for treats of the child's own choosing like sweets and comics?
    I like the idea of doing 3x their age..Once he gets to 11 I'll be taking him to get a bank account and I'll transfer his money into there instead of giving him cash.

When children start travelling to secondary school that often coincides with them going out with a group of friends to the shops or the pool or other places you might have always gone as a family. Would you consider giving your child the money you currently spend on his leisure clothes, haircuts, swimming etc to manage himself at some point?
  • aimeemum
    aimeemum Posts: 687 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    maman wrote: »
    I can see that it's an easy rule of thumb for a child to work out but would that just be for treats of the child's own choosing like sweets and comics?

When children start travelling to secondary school that often coincides with them going out with a group of friends to the shops or the pool or other places you might have always gone as a family. Would you consider giving your child the money you currently spend on his leisure clothes, haircuts, swimming etc to manage himself at some point?

At the moment they get such a small amount of money that yes, it's just for treats. I never got ANY pocket money to speak of growing up so it's a bit of a foriegn concept for me. I used to get my school clothes bought by my Mum and then my Dad would give me some cash to get home-clothes when I saw him in the holidays but this only happened when I reached about 14.. I feel like if I gave my boys money to get their own clothes (even at 14+), they would have
    1 nice pair of trainers and rags! lol :rotfl: I will have to play it by ear but I know I wont need to make any decisions about this sort of thing for a couple more years.
    Changing my Family's Future!! - Starting again!!!!
    Current Progress -
    Debt - Start date 31/8/22 = £7,252.78
    Savings 31/8/22 - £0
    plus £1000 EF - £0/£1000 = 0%
  • maman
    At the moment they get such a small amount of money that yes, it's just for treats. I never got ANY pocket money to speak of growing up so it's a bit of a foriegn concept for me. I used to get my school clothes bought by my Mum and then my Dad would give me some cash to get home-clothes when I saw him in the holidays but this only happened when I reached about 14.. I feel like if I gave my boys money to get their own clothes (even at 14+), they would have
    1 nice pair of trainers and rags! lol :rotfl:
    I will have to play it by ear but I know I wont need to make any decisions about this sort of thing for a couple more years.

That takes me back. I have two DDs, now grown up. When we introduced the allowance, the older one bought sensibly, decent quality and just what she needed. The younger one spent a lot on flash clothes but was often to be seen in socks with holes in and knickers like floorcloths. While they each learned a lot about being responsible over money and neither have ever got into any debt they're still very different when it comes to spending priorities.

I think what I was getting at with the allowance (even if you have to steer them strongly at first to ensure they buy essentials) is that it's good for older children to go through the process with you so as to how you arrived at the figure. That way they know that buying clothes, going to the cinema or the leisure centre or the hairdressers is expensive and has to be budgeted for. So while x times the age is easy, it doesn't do much for financial education IYSWIM.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure