Water Bills questions and comment

Options

Comments

• wanderer83
    Options
    Thanks. I'm beginning to think the last tenants did not inform them they were moving out so Thames Water had no idea until I contacted them. When we learned we were metered I had initially assumed that TW would have taken/received a final meter reading when the previous tenants closed their account or cancelled their DD. It seems water is the only utility where you can just legitimately !!!!!! off and have somebody else pay your bill for you. It should be the water company's responsibility to work out a system where this can't happen.

Our meter isn't easily accessible unfortunately, so we have to wait for the engineer, who'll no doubt show up when we're not home and report everything is fine and dandy.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    wanderer83 wrote: »
    It seems water is the only utility where you can just legitimately !!!!!! off and have somebody else pay your bill for you. It should be the water company's responsibility to work out a system where this can't happen.

They can't legitimately !!!! off, albeit it is a civil matter. However it is really no different to gas and electricity in that frequently occupants fail to inform the water/gas/electricity company that they are leaving the property.

If that happens there is no way the company will discover they have moved UNLESS the new occupant contacts the company and gives their details and meter readings.

Over the years there must be hundreds of posts on MSE, with similar cases to yours, where the new occupant fails to contact the company at the beginning of their occupation and find themselves paying for the previous occupant's consumption.
  • wanderer83
    Options
    It's ridiculous. They've sent us another bill now estimating that on top of the £113.60, which they want immediately, they will be charging us £458 for water for the year. We've already told them there is an error and they haven't been out to read the meter and do the litre calculation again. I just don't get the point of billing us when it's going to change.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 23 May 2019 at 3:44PM
    Options
    It's ridiculous. They've sent us another bill now estimating that on top of the £113.60, which they want immediately, they will be charging us £458 for water for the year. We've already told them there is an error and they haven't been out to read the meter and do the litre calculation again. I just don't get the point of billing us when it's going to change.

Did you read your meter when you moved in, opened an account with the Water Company and give them your initial reading. If not then it's your fault, not theirs.

They have no way of knowing what the reading is unless you tell them. They don't have clairvoyants on their staff, neither do they have a little man than scuttles round to read the meter on the day that you moved in. If you don't give regular readings then they'll guess and you'll end up with estimated bills

It's just like gas & leccy which is also down to you to set up your accounts and give initial meter readings if you want to avoid paying for the previous occupants consumption.

Perhaps you should put a bit of effort into reading the meter yourself if you don't want to end up with estimated bills. Most water companies read the meter once or twice a year so if you miss a reading it could be 6-12 months before the next one.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options

You stated you had an actual reading on 13 May.

It is appears to be pretty certain that you are paying for some of the previous occupant's water consumption in the bill for £113.60. On that incorrect consumption figure 'the almighty computer' has understandably estimated your future consumption.

You state 'Our meter isn't easily accessible unfortunately, so we have to wait for the engineer,' . If the meter reader(not an engineer!!) can read the meter, you or your Landlord must be able to read the meter. Thames Water can leave it a year before they read the meter again.
  • Lynne_G
    Lynne_G Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 1 June 2019 at 12:37PM
    Options
    After 2 years of trying to get on a meter due to disputing my water bills i finally got it resolved speaking to [Name Removed] at UU complaints. She looked thoroughly into it after 4 other people said the bills were correct this resulted in £500 refund plus a compensation amount for the incorrect billing and inconvenience. Dont give up if you think you are correct. Also my D D reduced from £51 to £21 its worth following up
  • Sunshinemummy
    Sunshinemummy Posts: 17,377 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure if I am on the right forum... but I am hoping someone can help.

We paid for a water connection to a new property (very slow self build), and chased this up a few months later... but it was never installed (OH thought I had not paid... and I thought that it had been connected).

We were planning on moving in, when we realised that they had not connected it.

OH rang them.... the denied that it had been paid, stating that the cost had risen significantly. I rang, they repeated the same, when I advised I paid and had the receipt, the response was enough to show that they knew we had paid and were attempting to pull the wool (tone of voice, within seconds knew how much we paid/when etc). I expressed my view that they had entered into a contract, and were in breach, they needed to resolve speedily with no costs to ourselves (as she wanted me to pay for another survey...despite us having the photographs from initial survey - nothing has changed as it is just a piece of grass).

I expressed my dissatisfaction and asked that a manager of a suitable level rang to resolve the matter. A time period was set, but they did not call me.

I rang again, they agreed to send someone next week (not sure if this is survey or installer).

Can anyone advise me whether we should be entitled to compensation? Or point me in the right direction?

Thanks

SSM
  • kellylivesey
    Options
    Hi, im with United Utilities and my bill has gone upto over £70 a month and i live in a 2 bedroom bungalow. My friend lives in a 3 bed house about 10 houses up from me and she pays £40 a month. I range United Utilities up on Friday and they said they would lower my bill to £49 over 12 months rather than £70 over 10 months but would not give a refund as they said it was the government who set the prices? Can i claim the money back they owe?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What money do they owe you ??
    Are you on a meter ??
  • pedalbin
    Options
    Hi.
    We moved into our property in July and let Thames Water know that we were the new occupiers (there was a letter through the door from them addressed to the new occupier).

We have only just found out Southern Water is our supplier and that Thames Water is responsible for the waste water. Have also just found out that the property is on a meter, which is inaccessible to us and needs to be read by an engineer.

The meter is read twice yearly, and due to be read this month, does anyone know how they will bill us? Will they just divide the usage and bill us for a proportion? Would there be any point challenging the bill if it seems high for our useage?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback