Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • JarkayColt
    • By JarkayColt 16th Nov 19, 5:03 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Can WTC Change of Circumstances Lead to UC Migration?
    • #1
    • 16th Nov 19, 5:03 PM
    Can WTC Change of Circumstances Lead to UC Migration? 16th Nov 19 at 5:03 PM
    I've seen some conflicting information online which suggests some people may be migrated to Universal Credit from Working Tax Credit if reporting a "significant" change of circumstances. Others say you might be offered a choice, or that you'll only be asked to make a new claim for UC if your WTC entitlement would end as a result.

    I'm asking because I currently claim WTC with the disability element (16hrs) and I have been offered a second job that would take my combined weekly hours to 32. I know my award will be reduced proportionately (which is fine) but since it would be with a different primary employer (as I think that's the only one they ask for) I was worried about it being treated as basis for a "new" claim as a result. I feel like it won't be an issue as the hours are going up rather than down but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of claims being migrated over due to a similar change?
Page 1
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 16th Nov 19, 5:11 PM
    • 4,054 Posts
    • 2,752 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Nov 19, 5:11 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Nov 19, 5:11 PM
    This is not a change that would have required a new Tax Credits claim and therefore you are not required to claim UC. It is a change to your existing claim.

    There is always a choice between carrying on with Tax Credits or claiming UC in that anybody can claim UC and that will end the Tax Credits claim.

    The big change requiring people to switch is if someone has a single claim and becomes part of a couple or is on a couple claim and separates. In such cases the Tax Credits claim ends and as a new Tax Credits claim cannot be made people are forced to claim UC if they wish to continue receiving benefit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,937Posts Today

7,411Users online

Martin's Twitter