Barclays Debit Card Fraud

Hi guys, new to posting here, but I have seen a few similar threads and hope someone may have some advice for me.

Basically, 2 weeks ago today, I checked my online banking to see that there had been numerous ATM withdrawals and Chip and Pin transactions made with my debit card, totalling over £1,600. I quickly realised that I didn't have my card in my wallet and called up to cancel my card and report the transactions. I was told that nothing could be investigated until all the transactions had cleared from pending, and to call back when they had done so.

I called back up a few days later and managed to get through to report the transactions, but it seemed the gentleman on the other end of the line didn't have the greatest understanding of English and what I was saying, after a bit of back and forth he said that everything is sorted and they would send me some paperwork out to sign and return.

When I received the paperwork I quickly signed it and returned it to Barclays and awaited a response.

I called Barclays today to check on the status of my inquiry as I was yet to hear anything at all back. I was made aware that the chip and pin transactions and still under investigation, but I am being held liable for the ATM transactions as "the card was in my possession". I tried to explain that I didn't have my card at the time the transactions happened, and made an effort to explain that I mentioned this on both times I called up, as well as on the paperwork I returned to Barclays. I was just met with the response "There is nothing you can do to change this"..

I mentioned to both telephone operators, as well as the police, how I was not in possession of my card, and how I think that It was used. (There was a group of young lads hanging around the . ATM when I last used it, and it was tried again in the same ATM about 10/15 mins after I last used it which was not by myself but declined due to daily withdrawal limit.)

I understand I should have been more vigilant and careful with my card/pin, but I don't understand how the reason given is that the card was in my possession, when it wasn't and I didn't even leave the house the following day when It was been used.

I am now worried that the chip and pin transactions (£1250) will be found to be my fault too for the same reason?

Does anyone have any experience or ideas on how to deal with this? I have been left without any access to money for 2 weeks now, and have no clue what to do next.

Thanks!

Comments

• I understand your card being stolen or "mislaid", but how would they have gotten the PIN?
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,993 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    jpkeane wrote: »
    I am being held liable for the ATM transactions as "the card was in my possession"

[...]

I tried to explain that I didn't have my card at the time the transactions happened

[...]

I was not in possession of my card

[...]

I don't understand how the reason given is that the card was in my possession, when it wasn't
    Trouble is, this is inherently a circular argument - if you are 100% sure that you definitely didn't have the card in your possession throughout that time then you'd have reported it missing, as you'd have been obliged to. I get that you've concluded from the evidence that it was mislaid or stolen at a particular point in time but how can you prove that?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    What did the police say and what have they done to investigate. As you are being held liable. You need to give them details of the transactions for them to get CCTV.
    Good luck with that if you in the Met police area...

You will need to be very clear as to when the card was lost and how the pin was obtained. Simply stating there was a group of youths near the atm will not cut it.
    You need to say how they got the card etc. Also do not think of inventing a story as they are so easily picked to pieces.
    Life in the slow lane
  • 18cc
    18cc Posts: 2,120 Forumite
    I can understand that is must have been distressing when you saw what had been taken from your account and realised that your debit card was missing

however I am sure you will agree that nobody can use your debit card to withdraw cash from an ATM without knowing the pin

So, as previously asked, do you have any idea how the fraudster would know your debit card PIN
  • @jpkeane, did you sign into Barclays online banking on your PC?
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    I called Barclays today to check on the status of my inquiry as I was yet to hear anything at all back. I was made aware that the chip and pin transactions and still under investigation, but I am being held liable for the ATM transactions as "the card was in my possession".

[...]

I understand I should have been more vigilant and careful with my card/pin, but I don't understand how the reason given is that the card was in my possession...

I guess they have a number of stock responses to choose from.

I'd also guess the card is deemed to be in your possession until it's reported lost or stolen.
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I think the problem is that if you are trying to say that for example a card catcher was used at the ATM and you didn't get your card back then you have known that your card was stolen that day and didn't report it for 2 weeks which they will use against you.

If you genuinely don't remember whether you got your card back from the machine that day, then you can't say when your card was stolen with any certainty other than sometime between the ATM transaction day and 2 weeks later.

Banks need to protect people from all type of fraud and your scenario is one common type of fraud where the owner of the card makes a large withdrawal or purchase then tries to back date the time it was lost or stolen.

Have you got any evidence of your movements following the ATM transaction that prove you weren't at the machine 10-15 mins later when the next withdrawal was attempted?
    YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    I mentioned to both telephone operators, as well as the police, how I was not in possession of my card, and how I think that It was used. (There was a group of young lads hanging around the . ATM when I last used it, and it was tried again in the same ATM about 10/15 mins after I last used it which was not by myself but declined due to daily withdrawal limit.)
    18cc wrote: »
    however I am sure you will agree that nobody can use your debit card to withdraw cash from an ATM without knowing the pin

So, as previously asked, do you have any idea how the fraudster would know your debit card PIN

My guess is whoever stole the card, or an associate, shoulder surfed the PIN:
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    I guess they have a number of stock responses to choose from.

I'd also guess the card is deemed to be in your possession until it's reported lost or stolen.

I don't believe that's a reasonable response. Nicking someone's card and using it only works if the victim doesn't know about it.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,415 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    boo_star wrote: »
    I don't believe that's a reasonable response. Nicking someone's card and using it only works if the victim doesn't know about it.

Op did not state how long it took them to report the loss. The length of time can make a big difference.

Which is why ALL banks need to catch up with the likes of Monzo. So you get a text on each card usage. Would cut the amount of card fraud to next to nothing.
    Life in the slow lane
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport