71 and trying to loose weight

As the title says I’m male 71 and trying to loose weight.

On the 14 July I weighed 14 st 11 lbs, this morning I weighed 14 st 10 lbs The weight has hovered between 14. 11 and 14.7 over that period of time

Perhaps I’m trying to fool myself but I do think the weight has shifted eg my trousers have dropped a size and a few friends have suggested I’m thinner in the face. Is it fat turning into mussel ? Perhaps

I’m doing a 16:8 diet and sticking pretty well to it and I’m now in the situation that I really only want one good meal in the day. I don’t drink, I’ve cut out the majority of bread that I eat and as a non driver I’m inclined to do a hell of a lot of walking. However, I must confess to a sweet tooth and every so often I break down !

Why is the weight not shifting? Could it be age related. Perhaps it’s possible I’m just trying to fool myself !

Anyway: comments, tips, suggestions are all welcome. For my build my target weight is 12 st 7lb

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,656 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You might need to try other exercise than walking; walking at a normal pace, however much you do, isn't going to shift weight.
    Nor is fat going to turn into muscle of its own accord, without some sort of helping hand.
    Could it be to do with your portion size - what does your one good meal involve?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • MoneySeeker1
    MoneySeeker1 Posts: 1,229 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I've found it harder to lose weight than when I previously did much the same diet and there may be an element of age in it.

It may also be the fact that muscle apparently weighs more than fat.

In my case though I would say probably the main reason why weight loss is slower than previously is because I am leading a "slower" lifestyle than previously and it's not down to age per se. Previously, I was doing a noticeable amount of walking. That was walking to work, from work, around the place at work, etc. I was also living in a city and now I'm living in a small town with poor public transport.

Living in a city does mean walking a lot more imo. Walking to this shop, that shop, that social activity, another social activity and so on.

THE two things impacting my weight are not my age at all. They are living in a small town (rather than a city) and that means I'm not doing nearly as much walking to "everywhere", because there just aren't so many places to walk to (fewer shops, fewer social activities, etc). Add that I'm not doing all the walking involved in having a job anymore (because I'm now retired and so don't have to do that and don't have to go out the door of a morning unless I choose to).

That is THE difference to me. The change in lifestyle and not the change in age. It may well be the same for you.
  • MoneySeeker1
    The other thing I would say is weight loss and size loss don't necessarily seem to match fully. They do to a large extent, but I also check out how things are going by trying on clothes that I am slimming back into at intervals and they gradually are fitting better and better and I can sometimes find that an item fits me again when I've lost little (if any) weight on the scales since last time I tried it on.

For instance, I think the scales have only registered about 2lb weight loss over the last few weeks, but my stomach and abdomen are definitely noticeably nearer flat again, I can feel my collarbones clearly again. As I am standard width footwear then there were several pairs of shoes I couldn't wear at my heaviest. They've been fitting me again for a while now and now they are starting to go from "wearable" to "roomy".
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Break up your 16:8 with two 800 cal fasts each week for a period.

Michael Mosley's web site gives loads of advice.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • MoneySeeker1
    Another thought I'd drop into the equation is just how often people "comfort eat" or "comfort drink (alcohol)" and chances are that you do it too.

I know I have to remind myself every time Life is playing up on me (whether it's a small thing of a b*tchy comment from someone that should know better) to something Bigger and the temptation is instantly there to console myself for "what just happened that shouldn't have" and head for something calorific to do so. I have to remind myself "A lot of other people do that and that is one of the reasons most people these days are plump or worse", followed by "Am I going to let a b*tch or Life upset me and make my figure worse? Of course I'm not and they won't be allowed to have that effect on me".

That takes willpower to not let other people and/or Life affect you and that will be one of the times I might well have a clothes try-on session to remind myself "I'm on my way to looking better than that b*tch and I'm not going to let her slow me down by making me comfort eat/drink".
  • mal4mac
    mal4mac Posts: 126 Forumite
    You're still eating too much! What's "one good meal"? Is it a good "weight watchers" meal, or pie and chips? If the latter then replace the latter with the former.
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,826 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Members have made some very interesting points, I’ll try and address some of them

I cook the majority of my own food, the most of which is non processed, and as such I know what I’m eating, but I will put my hand up on to a certain amount of comfort eating and with the weather we’ve been having lately that has increased a little (note to self,, watch comfort eating !)

Exercise, as a non driver I walk almost everywhere, I have a large garden, a little under a quarter of an acre, and I can assure you that’s exercise !

What’s a good meal? Yes that is an interesting question and I have to admit while the meal on the plate maybe healthy, the amount may not. My assumption was I’m doing a 16:8 diet, therefore, I should be OK ! That’s something I’ll have to look closely at.

Weight watchers meal No, pie and chips NO WAY !

I do like the idea of a restriction diet, two, 800 days. That’s doable, certainly in the medium term.

At the end of the day: calories in greater than calories out equals weight gain.
    Calories out greater than calories in equals weight loss. The battle needs stepped up a gear

Thanks to all for their comments to date

Kevin
  • Why does a lb of fat weigh more than a lb of muscle?
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Use a smaller plate so therefore smaller portions, i.e. two potatoes instead of three. Extra vegetables instead of puddings or fresh fruit for a dessert. Cut out biscuits, crisps and alcohol, eat your main meal at lunchtime, and a small supper at about 5 p.m. Don't faff about with special diets and calorie counting. Walk an extra mile at a brisk pace each day. You'll soon lose the extra weight - that is of course if there isn't a medical reason for being a bit overweight.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    TBH I don't think the 16:8 is productive to weight loss

Ive always done 16:8, only it didn't have a fancy name, it is just how Ive always eaten, and Im still over weight

Ive lost 15lb in 9 weeks by going to weight watchers and upping my exercise. I had become very complacent about exercise as I now have an extremely physical job - on my feet for 10 hours, lifting and carrying 20kg weights about all day. When I fist started it, weight dropped off, then as my body got used to that, it crept back on again. So now I walk, very briskly, 5 miles a night, 4 nights a week - at least. I also do steps and hula hoops at home

I like Weight Watchers. You don't have to buy their products, there's no special foods to buy, everything you eat or drink is given a point value and all you have to do is keep to your daily point allowance and you will lose weight

Their point system is based on the Calories, saturated fat, sugar and protein content. So a slice of bread is high in points, but chicken, turkey, fish have zero points so it makes sense to fill up on the zero point foods ( of which there are hundreds ) and use the high point foods sparingly. So you are pushed into making the healthy choices without going hungry or missing out on anything. I still eat all my favourite meals, I don't have to cook separately for me, the rest of the family don't suffer or miss out

I agree with LadyDee about the small plate. I use a salad plate and its hard to overload it once the veggies are on. And actually that's how I plate mine up, veggies first, protein second, carbs last - it works :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure