Cat being bullied by neighbour's cat

Options
13»

Comments

• Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    _shel wrote: »
    You know you can get timed flaps so they can only go in and out by their microchip at times set by you, so could work if he'd agree.

I didn't know that you could get timed flaps. Will look in to that, thank you. Do microchip flaps have that ability?
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options

Thanks. i will investigate further. I already have a Sureflap microchip flap and I'm sure it doesn't have "curfew mode". Would be a shame to replace it as I've only had it a year and it wasn't cheap but if it makes the cats lives and my life better then it is worth investing.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your cat being bullied but everyone assumes the other cat is not neutered, how do you know for sure that he is not?

I have 4 boys and 2 girls at home, they are all neutered but that really is not a guarantee of no fights ever.

You really need to talk to the other cat owner xx
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi All

I have a couple of young female cats, both speyed.

There is a big full Tom who lives just a few doors up. Since he has lived in the street he has been a big problem for me. My previous elderly cats were bullied relentlessly by him; he'd even come in through the cat flap and spray in the house.

Last week one of my cats was bitten by him causing an abscess. I took her to the vet and after a few injections and a course of antibiotics which she finished at the weekend she was back to herself.

However, just this evening I heard a cat fight outside and it seems that my cat has been attacked and injured again by the big bully. My cat doesn't roam very far and tends to just hang around the gardens.

I do have a microchip catflap now so at least he can't get in to the house so that is one saving grace, but it is becoming a real problem now, especially as I will need to take her to the vet again tomorrow as she is clearly not happy.

I'm a little bit nervous about speaking with the owner. I'm female and live on my own and just worried about any repercussions.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can deter the bully cat from coming in to my garden?

Many thanks
    Sorry to hear about your cat being bullied but everyone assumes the other cat is not neutered, how do you know for sure that he is not?

I have 4 boys and 2 girls at home, they are all neutered but that really is not a guarantee of no fights ever.

You really need to talk to the other cat owner xx

Not an assumption it says so in the first post.
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I know it says so in the first post but how is the OP sure?
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    I know it says so in the first post but how is the OP sure?

Because I've seen his "bits" when he decided make himself at home on my sofa one day!
  • mrmmhf
    mrmmhf Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We had to put a microchip cat flap in too to keep the cat from next door coming in.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mrmmhf wrote: »
    We had to put a microchip cat flap in too to keep the cat from next door coming in.

I got one and only one of five cats use it, they're all spooked by it!
  • Deep_In_Debt
    Options
    I got one and only one of five cats use it, they're all spooked by it!

My cats took a while to get used to the sound it makes when it closes but they are fine with it now. Took me a while to get used to it too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport