Good and Bad Buying at Lidl and Aldi (***Please don't expire***)

Comments

• Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I’ve only just seen your post Lily. Yes I got 2 packs of them the day after I cooked them as normal and when cooked they were ok,having said that as has been said pretty much tasteless not like Jerseys of old. There were some left so when cooled I put them in a container in the fridge same as I always do to go in the dogs dinner the day after,when I came to feed him opened the container and like you said all black and horrible,wonder what the problem was with these ?
    Thank you PLRFD, I wont be buying again for sure,didn't even get as far as tasting them.
  • Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 July 2019 at 3:58PM
    Ok not essentials but Lidl have stopped stocking their custard creams and fruit shortcake biscuits. Why does that always happen with your favourites? E.T.A. fruit shortcake back in stock today!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Lily54 wrote: »
    Ok not essentials but Lidl have stopped stocking their custard creams and fruit shortcake biscuits. Why does that always happen with your favourites?
    I hadn't noticed, since they dropped the price of their chocolate hobnobs to a silly 41p/300g I tend to focus on that item to the exclusion of all other biscuit offerings. What have they filled the space with?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,483 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    edited 10 July 2019 at 4:40PM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I hadn't noticed, since they dropped the price of their chocolate hobnobs to a silly 41p/300g I tend to focus on that item to the exclusion of all other biscuit offerings. What have they filled the space with?

VfM - while their French week is on, try the Palets Bretons - chunky French butter biscuits. 65p a pack :)
    22657_98.jpg
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    fatbelly wrote: »
    VfM - while their French week is on, try the Palets Bretons - chunky French butter biscuits. 65p a pack :)
    22657_98.jpg
    Thanks, but I really don't enjoy a buttery / very short biscuit. Others may rave about them but it's not for me. Viennese whirls fall under the same category.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • peewhyeff
    peewhyeff Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Lacura Moisture/ Mighty shampoo & conditioner was £1.99 now £0.99 Appears to be a take off on Aussie products- Moisture contains 'macadamia nut oil from Australia'
    Don't know if this is just a special offer or end of line.
    I bought the conditioner yesterday and not impressed with the directions for use.
    It simply says "work through the lengths of your hair and rinse. For best results use after Mighty Shampoo by Lacura".
    Put it on dry hair, then rinse?
    Put it on wet hair after shampooing and rinsing?
    Leave on for a couple of minutes, then rinse?
    What does everyone else do?
  • Veteran Tesco and Waitrose (for top up) shopper here.
    2 months ago I decided to try Lidl as I needed to sort my spiralling weekly food budget out.
    The things I (and 3 fussy children) are actually fine with are:
    Baked beans
    The quilted toilet paper
    Dishwasher tablets
    The fake monster munch crisps
    Chocolate spread
    All bread, fruit, veg, cheese products
    Ready meal moussaka
    Nappies
    Frozen chips
    Frozen fish
    Quiche
    Cheese coleslaw
    Wine!!
    Squash
    Biscuits
    Tinned tomatoes

The stuff which we aren’t impressed with are the meat and the shampoo / conditioner. Even tried the Fake Aussie conditioner and it was appalling.

Next we tried Aldi and I’ve only done 2 shops there so far. The meat was much better although had very quick sell by dates.
    The ready meal moussaka was absolutely rank though. The coleslaw is also not so good but they do sell tuna in spring water rather than oil like Lidl. The wine is also just as good as Lidl!
    Aldi seems slightly more expensive than Lidl though, although like I say, I’ve only done 2 shops there.

Still shopping at Waitrose for dairy free produce, cous cous, shampoo/ conditioner, vegetarian substitutes and about 50% of meat but I’ve cut about 25% of my shopping budget down which is great
  • Tofu_eater
    Tofu_eater Posts: 86 Forumite
    Aldi - the 'Moser Roth' Salted Caramel Truffles in the round boxes (yellow and dark brown) ......sooooo good!!!!They're really nice!
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    peewhyeff wrote: »
    I bought the conditioner yesterday and not impressed with the directions for use.
    It simply says "work through the lengths of your hair and rinse. For best results use after Mighty Shampoo by Lacura".
    Put it on dry hair, then rinse?
    Put it on wet hair after shampooing and rinsing?
    Leave on for a couple of minutes, then rinse?

What does everyone else do?

Well..... it tells you best after the shampoo!
    I suspect they assume you know what to do with usual conditioner that's why they are economical with words.
    I would do either of the above which I have highlighted.

Generally speaking you don't put conditioner on dry hair (nor do you leave it in, unless told otherwise)
    Despite the instructions, how was it? I haven't used mine yet
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Well..... it tells you best after the shampoo!
    I suspect they assume you know what to do with usual conditioner that's why they are economical with words.
    I would do either of the above which I have highlighted.

Generally speaking you don't put conditioner on dry hair (nor do you leave it in, unless told otherwise)
    Despite the instructions, how was it? I haven't used mine yet

Two of us here using Aldi or Lidl own brand shampoos and conditioner for years.

Hugely cheaper than brands, and in reality they’re all much the same thing - people just get conned by branding into thinking they’re somehow different.

A classic case of emperor’s clothes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport