Best ready made cheese sauce?

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Bacman wrote: »
    That is a roux!

Actually, cheese doesn't help with the flavour in the sauce compared to adding it as a topping to the dish and melted under a grill.

Use a little more weight of plain flour than butter; melt butter in a saucepan, use a hand whisk to mix in the flour, then after a few more seconds of cooking add a little milk at a time until the mixture is quite runny and smooth; add a couple of teaspoons of mustard (I use Asda own brand). I used to then add cheese however find it better to add cooked crushed garlic to the sauce. Add cheese to the topping not the sauce.

If you look at the ingredients on cheese sauce jars, it is pretty much all chemicals and artificial enhancers - do you really want to eat rubbish when you can make your own healthy sauce, easily, in less than 10 minutes from scratch; and far cheaper too??

A roux is a mix of flour and fat, which is then cooked out before the liquid is added

My method ( Thankyou Delia ) skips that
  • Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Yes, flour and fat - butter is fat. Chefs use flour and butter for their roux.
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    Bacman wrote: »
    Yes, flour and fat - butter is fat. Chefs use flour and butter for their roux.

A roux is cooked out before any liquid is added, putting the flour, fat and liquid in the pan together does not make a roux - but with sufficient whisk action does make a fine sauce.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    nuatha wrote: »
    A roux is cooked out before any liquid is added, putting the flour, fat and liquid in the pan together does not make a roux - but with sufficient whisk action does make a fine sauce.

I don’t think s/he is reading what I wrote

And I’m loving being told that butter is a fat :rotfl:
  • nuatha
    nuatha Posts: 1,932 Forumite
    suki1964 wrote: »

I'd assumed they hadn't realised quite what you'd written, I don't usually post to state the obvious :)

I'm sure you enjoyed that piece of information.
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,691 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I would always make my own cheese sauce via the roux method, I add mustard and sometimes cream cheese.
    However if I was using a ready made sauce I would use a fresh cheese pasta sauce. I really don't like the jars or packets, personal taste really but I just find the taste a bit synthetic.
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,604 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    My best attempt at cheese sauce was half mature cheddar and half red Leicester :)

As for the lumps I use a whisk constantly, then a fork round the pan edges every few minutes to loosen anything that has settled beyond the reach of the whisk.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    When I cook with cheese I add a bit (or a lot :rotfl:) of blue cheese. It gives it a much stronger cheesy flavour. I do this with Welsh rarebit as well but OH keeps eating it

I know not everyone likes blue cheese but a bit of mustard works as well, I think others have said this.

It's a good way of using up any odd bits of cheese lurking in the fridge.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Lazy cheese sauce:

Microwavable jug, 1/2pt milk, rounded tbsp plain flour, 1oz butter or marge. Whisk it as best you can so most of the flour's mixed in. Nuke on high for a minute at a time, whisk after each minute, until sauce thickens. Grate in cheese, add mustard/nutmeg/seasoning to taste and whisk again (the heat of the sauce melts the cheese, no need to heat again)
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    suki1964 wrote: »

I make a roux with the butter and flour, then add the milk.

I think the poster is saying she chucks it all in together, which is not the same thing - so no need to laugh?
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport