Tesco to trial paying customers who recycle 10p per plastic bottle - MSE News

Options
Former_MSE_Callum
Former_MSE_Callum Posts: 696 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 14 October 2020 at 1:13PM in Gone off!
Tesco has begun trialling in-store recycling machines which will pay customers 10p for every plastic bottle returned...
Read the full story:
'Tesco to trial paying customers who recycle 10p per plastic bottle'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The bottles will have to be up to 750ml in size and from Tesco or major brands such as Coca-Cola.
    So most of the bottles you can see in the embedded video will not be eligible.

Our local Tesco used to have a similar machine years ago. I think they paid 1 clubcard point for every bottle. They stopped it as they said it was no longer affordable, and accused customers of abusing the facility (it was not clear how customers were abusing it).

So if 1p per bottle was not affordable, how has 10p per bottle become affordable? Or have Tesco added 10p to the cost of every bottle for sale?
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    wavelets wrote: »
    So most of the bottles you can see in the embedded video will not be eligible.

Our local Tesco used to have a similar machine years ago. I think they paid 1 clubcard point for every bottle. They stopped it as they said it was no longer affordable, and accused customers of abusing the facility (it was not clear how customers were abusing it).

So if 1p per bottle was not affordable, how has 10p per bottle become affordable? Or have Tesco added 10p to the cost of every bottle for sale?

There used to be a recycling machine that gave you one green Clubcard point for every can that you recycled at our local Tesco but it was got rid of.

I do think that it's a step in the right direction though - I can never understand why we still have plastic wrapped multi packs - surely the technology is there so that is you buy a single can you're charged once price & if you buy a set multiple then you're charged another
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would the company making this offer have any connection with the Tesco that offered 1, then 0.5 Clubcard points for aluminium cans (where the machines accepted Coca Cola cans but not Pepsi Cola cans)? :D

They stopped that, presumably because it was costing too much.

I wonder whether the PR value of this exercise will outlast the value.

(Cynic? Moi? :rotfl:)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One can only assume that a 10p increase in the price of a bottle of drink will fund this grand gesture, because I don't see Tesco doing anything that is likely to hit its profits. Either that, or they'll stick 1p on everything to cover the cost, and all customers, even those who don't buy drink in plastic bottles, will ultimately pay for this latest attempt at a PR exercise.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    As they say you don't get something for nothing.

Somebody along the way always pays.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    This appears to be a PR stunt.

Tesco could instantly reinstate green clubcard points for using their existing network of recycling machines.

Remember when they issued green clubcard points for using a reusable bag at checkouts?

;)
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »

Tesco could instantly reinstate green clubcard points for using their existing network of recycling machines.

Remember when they issued green clubcard points for using a reusable bag at checkouts?

;)

True. I've seen a muddy field which was 'greener' than Tesco. :rotfl:
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Crabman wrote: »

;)

Some of us remember quadruple Green Shield Stamp days!:rotfl:
  • wymondham
    wymondham Posts: 6,354 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Wow, what a new novel idea??!!! I used to collect bottles (ok so they were glass, but same principle!) when I was a kid to get money back from the newsagent. That's how I used to buy my matchbox cars!
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    There used to be a recycling machine that gave you one green Clubcard point for every can that you recycled at our local Tesco but it was got rid of.

I do think that it's a step in the right direction though - I can never understand why we still have plastic wrapped multi packs - surely the technology is there so that is you buy a single can you're charged once price & if you buy a set multiple then you're charged another

Yep same at mine, I used to stockpile cans and take like 100+ in at once even pick them off the streets for that extra few pence.

Now I live somewhere where a Asda and Morrisons is a little closer so not going to walk to Tesco to chuck a few bottles.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback