2018 New year, new focus and new mission

Comments

• Choccygirl123
    Choccygirl123 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:40PM
    That seems mega early Storm. Ours have the shortest 5 week term - which is crazy. Saying that I'm ready for the break already.

Well today has definitely been a spend day with hubby's car in the garage for the MOT. Good news it passed £39.95 well spent, the bad news is we needed a £90 to get it through. The other rear tyre had an advisory, but that bad boy can wait a couple of months.

Nothing changed, still skint! I have been thinking thought today I'm going to try and push my food shop until Monday / Tuesday. It's not set in stone we go every Saturday, just a habit. I'm hoping by leaving it a couple of days or so I'll get more things cleared from the cupboard store and freezer.

We had a lovely S&S turkey tonight and there was too much meat for just one meal. Stew in meal plan is pushed back and we'll have turkey curry and rice tomorrow. I was planning on the stew lasting two days, but love my Sunday roast. Stew is now on next's weeks menu.

Thursday - Turkey curry
    Friday - Chicken wraps
    Saturday - Fish cakes and homemade chips
    Sunday - Roast pork (only joint in freezer)
    Monday - Stew
    Tuesday - Stew

By switching the meals around and making the most of the freezer/cupboard stocks that'll be 4 'free' evening meals. The stew is a great way to get rid of any leftover fresh veg too. I've got fresh salad for the chicken wraps which will need to be finished by weekend. I'm going to see how far we can push it along into next week before I buy anymore food. The fruit bowl has taken a battering, but still loads left.

On a positive note we've just received our mortgage renewal paperwork and we've just fallen under 47k outstanding, so I'm a happy bunny! It's a good reminder why we need to get our act together to get rid of the loans, so we can overpay the mortgage and finally be mortgage free.

Right, it's penny-pinching choccy from now on this month. Roll on pay day in approx 2 weeks.
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    I'm with you there. Payday for my husband is 31st January as he's paid the last Wednesday of the month! That's amazing about the mortgage - you'll be off to the mortgage free wannabe forum before you know it. We've still got about 28 years left on ours and a lot of money haha but we bought it when I was 21 and I'm 27 now so not really been here long.
    Love the meal plan :)
  • Thanks storm don’t worry about your mortgage - you’re still really young! I hit the big 40 last year and still trying to forget it! I do know I want to be debt free and mortgage free by the time I’m 50.

I’ve not had much time for a diary catch up, but will pop by and say hello when I do. I hope you’re having more luck than me at the minute x
  • Don’t you love last
  • Don’t you love last minute kids! As my darling youngest walked out the house she informed me it’s her turn to make cakes fir the tutor group tomorrow!

Brillant - bangs goes my last few quid in the shopping wallet on ingredients.
    Normally make rocky road and lemon drizzle cake. Shopping list is :
    chocolate, biscuits, cherries, castor sugar, lemons and marshmallows.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    oh god noooo! I hate unexpected spends like that . Happy baking :)
  • I did cheat and sievtvs £15 voucher Tesco sent me after I complained about a Christmas cake (was so dry it crumbled and had to be eaten with a spoon)

Spent £1.06 out my wallet, but did get few bits omfir my store cupboard more basmati rice (to make butter and green bean rice tonight instead of boikfing boiled)
  • I reduced my work hours last year in an attempt to regain control of my home life and help rebalance my mental health.

Since then it’s amazing how much my life has changed. The house, it’s cleaner and tidier, there’s a meal plan in place and I finally feel in control of our money. I now have time to think and plan. I do wonder how I managed juggling the kids, work and life in general. The downside was the dramatic cut in wages (roughly 1/3) but my well being can’t have a price. Hubby and children seem a lot more settled and happier and suspose that’s a direct link to me being happier.

I’m still trying to get into a routine with household chores and my ironing basket is like the magic porridge pot. I feel like I’ve had a light bulb moment today, it’s not all about money. It’s about life and having the right balances. I have a loving family, a beautiful home and I’m in good health mentally and physically. I’m very fortunate and I should be thankful more often. I’m going to try and post a positIve non money related note every time I make a diary note to remind me money isn’t life:)

Ps will be another much needed none spend day today #6 in jan
  • Had a great day at day and it's Friday whooooo!

Had a busy morning yesterday and today and i've moved 6 direct debits payment dates, so they all come out of our joint account within first two days of the month. I find budgeting so hard when you don't know if all bills etc have been paid in the middle of the month. I've often come stuck and forgotten about the phone contracts eeek.

I've managed to sell another £10 bundle of games on the Facebook site and the lady is hopefully collecting tonight.

Sales so far : £20 for xbox games, £10 on laptop charger = £30 cash in my EF tin

Sales to be collected : £29 ebay bundle (sunday morn) £10 games bundle (tonight)

Possible sales : £3 to friend for a game

Hopefully is all collected and friend collects that'll be approx £65 in cash in my wallet. I've got a couple of sales from pre-christmas still to pay on ebay fees so will take that cash out and pay using joint account.
  • Choccygirl123
    Choccygirl123 Posts: 1,033 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 January 2018 at 11:07AM
    My positive note today - I've had a lovely long lie-in until 9:15 and I'm finally feeling on the mend

Sales are doing well on the declutter. £10 for the games bagged into my EF last night - total is now £40

Sold a collectable star wars thing on ebay (was given it few by a friend who was going to take it to the tip) for £25+postage. The buyer paid straight away, so i've cleared the £11.25 ebay fees on my account and transfered the £15.94 to the joint account. I've got the postage to come out of that, but it's a little towards paying off the overdraft when we unavoidably hit it later in the month.

The good news is that the other £29 that's being collected tomorrow is all cash in the EF wallet. That will mean the total will be £69 as have paid ebay fees from stars war sale.

I do have a decision to make. Do i add that to the EF bank account (already saved my planned £50 this month) or do i add to joint account to reduce the OD? I think the sensible choice to to reduce the OD as I'm sick of having it hanging over us every month. It's a big chunk of 'extra' money so need to be sensible.

Today will be a NSD again, as can't be bother to go to the post office this morning! That's number 7!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport