Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Options

Comments

• ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Options
    The cheap milk chocolate retailing at 30pence at Lidl is now 39pence! :eek:
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    ljonski wrote: »
    The cheap milk chocolate retailing at 30pence at Lidl is now 39pence! :eek:
    The price of generic chocolate (100g bars) has been fluctuating a lot in recent weeks, between these two prices. I noticed it in Aldi and Sainsbury's as well.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    As well as price fluctuations, I noticed that the lovely bar of coffee flavoured dark chocolate that DD bought me for Mother's Day was 80g, a reduction of a fifth over the standard 100g size.
    I think that will be the next key move across the board. 80 and 150g sizes instead of 100g and 200g.
    Hope not. Although as a Maths tutor it would give me some interesting material for Functional Maths questions.

1 a "Jane notices that the 100g bars of chocolate in her supermarket are now 80g. How many bars must she buy to get the 340g she needs for her Rocky Road recipe?

b) The chocolate bars are 39p each. What will Jane spend on chocolate?

c) Jane adds 100g of marshmallows, 75g of raisins, 50g of hazelnuts and 150g of broken digestive biscuits to the chocolate. How many 60g bars of Rocky Road will Jane be able to make?"

d) Show a check for one of your calculations, using a reverse method or any other suitable method.
    Show your working for all calculations.

Welcome to my world...

Back on topic. A significant difference between Aldi and Lidl. At Aldi I can only buy 1 pack of paracetamol and 1 pack of ibuprofen tablets in a single purchase.
    At Lidl I was able to buy 2 packs of both, which was much appreciated, I take 6 tablets of each daily in divided doses for my arthritis so go through packs of 16 tablets in a few days.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Feral_Moon
    Feral_Moon Posts: 2,943 Forumite
    edited 2 April 2017 at 5:11AM
    Options
    As well as price fluctuations, I noticed that the lovely bar of coffee flavoured dark chocolate that DD bought me for Mother's Day was 80g, a reduction of a fifth over the standard 100g size.
    I think that will be the next key move across the board. 80 and 150g sizes instead of 100g and 200g.
    Hope not. Although as a Maths tutor it would give me some interesting material for Functional Maths questions.

1 a "Jane notices that the 100g bars of chocolate in her supermarket are now 80g. How many bars must she buy to get the 340g she needs for her Rocky Road recipe?

b) The chocolate bars are 39p each. What will Jane spend on chocolate?

c) Jane adds 100g of marshmallows, 75g of raisins, 50g of hazelnuts and 150g of broken digestive biscuits to the chocolate. How many 60g bars of Rocky Road will Jane be able to make?"

d) Show a check for one of your calculations, using a reverse method or any other suitable method.
    Show your working for all calculations.

Welcome to my world...

Back on topic. A significant difference between Aldi and Lidl. At Aldi I can only buy 1 pack of paracetamol and 1 pack of ibuprofen tablets in a single purchase.
    At Lidl I was able to buy 2 packs of both, which was much appreciated, I take 6 tablets of each daily in divided doses for my arthritis so go through packs of 16 tablets in a few days.

To answer your first point...

Smaller bars of chocolate are not unique to Aldi, nor something within their control. There's a concerted effort and pressure on manufacturers to make chocolate bars smaller across the board in an attempt to minimise the consumption of sugar, thus reducing incidences of diabetes and obesity.

To answer your second point...

Painkillers are restricted to 32 in one purchase for very good reason - to deter impromptu overdoses, plus a potential deterrent to reliability and addiction. If you need painkillers on such a frequent basis then you need to speak with your GP.
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I disagree the limit is no good reason at all anyone who wants to kill themselves with an overdose just has to go in a couple of shops if you really want to do it a limit won't stop you.
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Feral_Moon wrote: »
    Painkillers are restricted to 32 in one purchase for very good reason - to deter impromptu overdoses, plus a potential deterrent to reliability and addiction.
    SM packs are 16s. What mcculloch29 was pointing out was the inconsistency between Aldi and Lidl. The long hand of regulation only stretches so far!

Hell, you can go to Poundland and buy 32 in one go.

Years ago, when the restriction was introduced I was working in an area where a market trader was selling the equivalent of over 100 on offer!

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    PLRFD wrote: »
    I disagree the limit is no good reason at all anyone who wants to kill themselves with an overdose just has to go in a couple of shops if you really want to do it a limit won't stop you.
    Only if premeditated. It cuts down on the impulsive ODs by restricting supplies in homes.

• Feral_Moon
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    SM packs are 16s. What mcculloch29 was pointing out was the inconsistency between Aldi and Lidl. The long hand of regulation only stretches so far!

Hell, you can go to Poundland and buy 32 in one go.

Years ago, when the restriction was introduced I was working in an area where a market trader was selling the equivalent of over 100 on offer!

Yes, I misread that she could buy 32 of each at Lidl. I guess that comes down to interpretation of the regulations. After all, they are different drugs and I'm fairly certain it's paracetamol which is restricted due to the damage it can do to internal organs.

To sell over 100 paracetamol is highly irresponsible and one of the reasons the restrictions were introduced.
  • Feral_Moon
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Only if premeditated. It cuts down on the impulsive ODs by restricting supplies in homes.

Exactly. Although I think more awareness is necessary to inform people that paracetamol is not an innocuous drug to be messed around with as a relatively small overdose (far less than 32) can cause irreversible organ failure, resulting in an extremely painful death.

Anyway, this isn't a topic for this thread.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    The (Warren) sausages on offer at Lidl are 10p more than the usual price.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure