How long should it take to fix this car pls?

Options
2»

Comments

• RealGem
    RealGem Posts: 569 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    It is A Big Job to do properly, the plate that the servo etc mount to has to come out and be resealed, and there is a gasket required for the servo.

Have a look at

https://carsandcode.blogspot.com/2014/03/corsa-c-water-leak-challenge.html

for what to do, and every step is awkward, £135 is a fair price to do it properly.

Thank you, it does seem from what you and the others say, that they were telling me the truth today. I will save up and pay it.

Thanks everyone for your help
    Look at it this way... In a hundred years who's gonna care?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RealGem wrote: »
    Thank you, it does seem from what you and the others say, that they were telling me the truth today. I will save up and pay it.

Thanks everyone for your help

Don't leave it too long, if the carpet gets mouldy it is virtually impossible to get rid of the smell. Try cleaning those drains too, anything that helps will be good.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • RealGem
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    Don't leave it too long, if the carpet gets mouldy it is virtually impossible to get rid of the smell. Try cleaning those drains too, anything that helps will be good.

Thanks, I bought anti-mould spray yesterday, and wipe the carpet and change the towels daily. I know I can't leave it too long, so I have to sell my guitar and other items to pay for this :(
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    The solution I posted above will stop the water gathering in the area of the leak. But as others have said, to seal the actual leak does take time. Last few Corsas I've worked on, simply clearing the leaves away did the trick. I've been buying and selling them for years.

Best wishes
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• RealGem
    Options
    fatrab wrote: »
    The solution I posted above will stop the water gathering in the area of the leak. But as others have said, to seal the actual leak does take time. Last few Corsas I've worked on, simply clearing the leaves away did the trick. I've been buying and selling them for years.

Best wishes
    I understand what you're saying, but I can't take out all the stuff to get to that area because I am not fit enough. Even if I were, you have to disconnect important stuff, according to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChzIbEmGfgU

I would make a great job of cleaning out the muck and leaves, but I don't fancy my chances at putting everything back how it's suposed to go.

When I changed the battery last summer, I couldn't even put the wiper plate back flush against the windscreen. There is an inch gap on the passenger side, as I'm not strong enough. I might try getting my friend to help. He already offered but I think he thought it was a 10 minute job!

Thanks
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    A length of flexible curtain rod (the stuff you use to hang net curtains) is a brilliant tool for clearing blockages in pipes and drains on a car. No dismantling involved, just a bit of reaching round and looking at what you are doing, then back it up with a flush with low-pressure water to get rid of the bits. I've never worked on a Corsa, but it would be the first thing I tried in your situation.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    edited 19 October 2018 at 7:53AM
    Options
    As Richard53 says, there is no stripping down involved to clear the drain channels. You can actually put a hose up them from the engine bay side of the bulkhead and blow the leaves upwards, at least then you could see where they are in relation to the brake servo. The top of the drain channel that you need to clear is directly below the servo, which is under the scuttle panel beside the screenwash bottle. It's a little black chute about 2-3" long. It's just a design fault with the shape of the panel beneath the servo that unfortunately causes leaves etc gather in that area and cause the puddling.

It's an awkward wee bit to get your hand into but it's honestly a very quick and simple job that might fix your issue.
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• RealGem
    Options
    Richard53 wrote: »
    A length of flexible curtain rod (the stuff you use to hang net curtains) is a brilliant tool for clearing blockages in pipes and drains on a car. No dismantling involved, just a bit of reaching round and looking at what you are doing, then back it up with a flush with low-pressure water to get rid of the bits. I've never worked on a Corsa, but it would be the first thing I tried in your situation.

Thank you Richard

fatrab wrote: »
    As Richard53 says, there is no stripping down involved to clear the drain channels. You can actually put a hose up them from the engine bay side of the bulkhead and blow the leaves upwards, at least then you could see where they are in relation to the brake servo. The top of the drain channel that you need to clear is directly below the servo, which is under the scuttle panel beside the screenwash bottle. It's a little black chute about 2-3" long. It's just a design fault with the shape of the panel beneath the servo that unfortunately causes leaves etc gather in that area and cause the puddling.

It's an awkward wee bit to get your hand into but it's honestly a very quick and simple job that might fix your issue.

Thank you both, I will give it a try!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure