Procedure for switching broadband providers?

Hello everyone,

My mother has been with EE now for more than 8 years and her most recent contract with them for 35mb fibre ended about 3 months ago so the price has gone up by a third. Normally she would just renew to a new 18 month contract and pay the normal amount but she will be moving out of the country in 8-9 months so she would have to pay a fine for the remaining months of the contract which is over £20 a month with EE.

After doing a bit of research I noticed that Southern Electric have 35mb fibre with a rolling monthly contract at £24 (which is actually a bit less than what she paid with EE and there are no other fees for us).

I was just wondering about the procedure for switching providers. Do we call EE first and say that we wish to change providers or Southern Electric first? Will there be much downtime when switching?

If my mother says that she wants to leave for a better deal, do you think that EE will give a rolling monthly contract at £24?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    In your case, I would just ring SSE up and get them to move you over
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 15 October 2018 at 12:27PM
    iscjtxls wrote: »
    I was just wondering about the procedure for switching providers. Do we call EE first and say that we wish to change providers or Southern Electric first? Will there be much downtime when switching?
    Procedure for changing ISPs that use Openreach infrastructure (not Virgin):
    Choose new ISP
    Old ISP will send a letter saying they have a had a request to stop their service and for the service to be migrated to the new ISP. If you don't want to change you contact the relevant companies at this point and cancel the migration.
    You will get a date the service switches to the new ISP.
    On the changeover date the internet will stop working. Disconnect the router from the old ISP and connect the router from the new ISP. Downtime is usually an hour or two. It can be longer but the service should finish switching on the specified date.
    The service from the new ISP will start.
  • I see, so the procedure seems straight forward. If we start the process today how many days will it take to get switched over?

What are the chances of EE price matching the southern electric deal if my mother calls them?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    About 14 days to switch .
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,076 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    iscjtxls wrote: »
    I see, so the procedure seems straight forward. If we start the process today how many days will it take to get switched over?

What are the chances of EE price matching the southern electric deal if my mother calls them?

The chances of EE giving a discount and not requiring a minimum term are slim, a new minimum term is usually the pay back for the discount on the normal price, why give a discount and then let a customer leave penalty free ?
    Do you have to be an SE 'energy' customer to get that deal without a minimum term ?
  • iniltous wrote: »
    The chances of EE giving a discount and not requiring a minimum term are slim, a new minimum term is usually the pay back for the discount on the normal price, why give a discount and then let a customer leave penalty free ?
    Do you have to be an SE 'energy' customer to get that deal without a minimum term ?

If you're not an energy customer you can still get a monthly contract but the price is only locked in for a year, its 3 years if you are an energy customer. I think that you also don't have to pay any setup fees.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure