Speeding fine...with a twist!

Options
Wondering if anyone can advise further on this situation i have found myself in.

Story

I was driving home 7pm 3 months ago down a road i know well, its a back road that passes a village just avoiding an A road. The road passes down a new housing development that is being built. I come round the corner when out rushes this female officer, i thought she was going to jump out, i hit the breaks and she has a speed gun. She was holding it like a shotgun, aims it at me and i continue driving giver her hand gestures.

I was so angry i nearly stopped! I did however call the Police to complain as this was dangerous and just stupid. I explained how she was hidden behind the car and rushed out to the side of the road to get me, almost like she was busy doing something else and a car came.

The next day an officer calls me, he asks me for my side of events and i try to explain i drive for a living 200 miles a day never seen an officer pull a stunt like that. He tells me this is a new officer and she was not in a propper traffic car more of a panda car. She has been spoken to regarding this. She said her version of events are different in that she was walking to the road side etc...

He explained the officer was more than likely performing duty for the community checking speed for statistics etc... not actively enforcing, he tried to say sorry without saying sorry for what had happened. i Explained i was a new bmw and the safety warning came on as she stepped out he said he understood and was sorry for any inconvenience again. He asked if i wanted to continue the complaint i had made. I said no based on what he said.

Today in the post speeding fine!! 38 in a 30mph (again no signage for this, housing development have removed these i assume)

My argument
    I had raised the practice of the the officer months ago the reading may be inaccurate as she rushed out the road is under development not speed limit signs The officer had acknowledged her visibility may not have been clear The supervisor has explained they were not out to enforce to me in my initial contact

I rang the 101 number and asked for this to be looked into again, but i wanted to know from what i have explained is this something i should win?

many thanks all

Comments

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If there is a regular system of street lighting then there will be no speed limit signs for a 30mph aside from terminal signs. There is no need for the officer to be visible and the laser guns are quick to use, they only require 0.3 of a second to get a reading so it wouldn't be difficult for the officer to have been able to get a reading.

I'm assuming you don't have any evidence such as a dashcam in which case I do not believe your chances to successfully defend the case to be high.

I'd recommend going to http://forums.pepipoo.com as it's the best source for motoring legal advice.
  • James2k
    James2k Posts: 300 Forumite
    Options
    what a crock, i highly doubt she jumped in front of you.

you were speeding, pay the fine.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why were you not keeping to the 30mph.
  • Scrapit
    Scrapit Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    3 months ago and the nip turned up yesterday? No. Won't stand.
  • Peter999_2
    Options
    They've only got 14 days to send you the speeding ticket, if this was 3 months ago then it is far too late to send you a ticket.

Is the car registered to you at your address?, or is it leased etc. and this has held up the ticket getting to you.
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this two different occasions, the suicidal female copper and now a NIP more recently?
  • Mercdriver
    Mercdriver Posts: 3,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Peter999 wrote: »
    They've only got 14 days to send you the speeding ticket, if this was 3 months ago then it is far too late to send you a ticket.

Is the car registered to you at your address?, or is it leased etc. and this has held up the ticket getting to you.

14 days to the registered keeper no one else. So if OP isn't RK the it doesn't apply to him
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you received a S172 notice requesting identity of driver?

If you have, it may be an idea to request "any photographs which may assist with the identification of the driver," without mentioning proof or evidence, as at this time, you are entitled to neither.

You may get something that helps you determine if this is the same, or a different dated offence and what the police have on you.

A S172 is 28 day time limited and the clock carries on ticking while you wait for a response, so if it doesn't come, ensure you meet the obligation to name the driver within the time allowed.

Have someone witness the declaration going in the envelope and obtain proof of postage.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,745 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    So are you still regularly speeding through the area?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Peter999 wrote: »

No, they have 14 days to inform you they are considering prosecution. Other than admin time allowing you to pay a speeding ticket could in theory arrive any time within 6 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure