Ebay account hacked

Back in April I received an "Order Confirmed" email from ebay for an item which I did not purchase. After signing into ebay I noticed a message which said that the seller's account had been compromised. I do not have a paypal account but had saved by card details in ebay so it seems a fake item was posed on the seller's account which my account was then used to pay for.

I immediately phoned ebay who told me to take it up with my bank. This I did and my card was immediately cancelled and the money used in the transaction refunded.

Today however I have received a letter from the bank who are saying that Paypal are insisting that it was a legitimate transaction since the IP address, email address, physical address and phone number are the same as that used in a previous transaction. Most would have been stored on my ebay account but I'm not quite sure how the same IP address could have been used.

The letter does seem to put a lot of emphasis on the physical address being the same as the reason for the decision though saying "The shipping and the AWS matched billing address are the same. This indicates that the account holder and the card owner are the same person."

The bank have informed me that they will in 10 days be debiting the money from my account for the transaction but then I can still dispute the transaction.

It is worth still pursuing this? The amount taken was not huge but also not insignificant. I am not sure how I can prove that I didn't make the transaction.

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Golf7 wrote: »
    I do not have a paypal account but had saved by card details in ebay so it seems a fake item was posed on the seller's account which my account was then used to pay for.

I have tried to understand this but I don't. What do you mean?
    The bank have informed me that they will in 10 days be debiting the money from my account for the transaction but then I can still dispute the transaction.

The bank? Which bank? Your bank or Paypal?
    It is worth still pursuing this?

Only you can make that decision.
    The amount taken was not huge but also not insignificant.

So midway then? Does that make a difference?
  • Golf7
    Golf7 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have tried to understand this but I don't. What do you mean?
    I had my debit card details stored on ebay rather than directly using a Payal account. The seller's account was hacked and a fake item was listed which my ebay account (with saved card) was then used to purchase. The first I knew about this was when I got an "Order Confimration" email from ebay for something I had never purchased.

The bank? Which bank? Your bank or Paypal?
    My own bank, they stopped my card and refunded the money to my account while presumably they took the issue up with Paypal.
  • theonlywayisup
    I had my debit card details stored on ebay rather than directly using a Payal account. The seller's account was hacked and a fake item was listed which my ebay account (with saved card) was then used to purchase. The first I knew about this was when I got an "Order Confimration" email from ebay.

If you had a "card" saved on eBay, where did you have it saved? Do you mean your seller account?

My own bank, they stopped my card and refunded the money to my account while presumably they took the issue up with Paypal/

If you [and I am still at a loss as to how you managed to do this] paid by eBay, then what has Paypal got to do with it?
  • Golf7
    If you had a "card" saved on eBay, where did you have it saved? Do you mean your seller account?
    No, when I previously purchased an item, I used a card and I had the option to save the card details for future transactions.

If you [and I am still at a loss as to how you managed to do this] paid by eBay, then what has Paypal got to do with it?
    The payment is still processed by Paypal even though a Paypal acount is not used.
  • theonlywayisup
    No, when I previously purchased an item, I used a card and I had the option to save the card details for future transactions.

The payment is still processed by Paypal even though a Paypal acount is not used.

Then you have paid as a Paypal guest. This is not a payment that eBay has transacted.

What is the date of the transaction? You say you were notified in April, is the purchase date April?

Ultimately, if you didn't receive the item (which presumably is what you are saying as you say you didn't order it) then you can dispute the transaction in Paypal. As you paid by "guest" you need to ring them to open a INR dispute. You can do this 180 days from purchase [or non purchase in your case] date. :)
  • Golf7
    Purchase date was 2 April.
  • theonlywayisup
    If you haven't made the transaction and you certainly haven't received the goods you need to dispute the transaction.

You can ring Paypal, as you paid by guest payment, and explain you did not authorise the transaction, although it sounds like it has already been the subject of a chargeback.

If this gets you no joy then you need to return to your bank and advise them that the item was not bought on your account and it certainly wasn't delivered to you.

Has anyone (your bank or Paypal) offered any proof of delivery?
  • Golf7
    If you haven't Has anyone (your bank or Paypal) offered any proof of delivery?
    No, the bank simply took my details when I reported it and then a few days later sent me a letter to sign confirming that I didn't make the transaction and was the last I heard of it until today when I got the letter from the bank saying that Paypal refute the chargeback and that I have 10 days to respond if I wish to continue the dispute.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure