Compensation for delayed flights Discussion Area

Comments

• idlesaver
    idlesaver Posts: 4,250
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello everyone,

After reading all the Martin's advice regarding flight delay, I raised a claim for my Non EU flight through resolver. But only were offered $200 of travel certificate from United Airlines, which I am not happy with :(

The story is,

Our return journey was from Chicago to London but due to technical fault the flight was landed on New York airport and they offered replacement flight for next day which was appx 15hrs later. They did offer us hotel stay and meal vouchers to compensate.

But also that replacement flight got delayed by 5hrs!! We were just sitting in flight for 5hrs and they gave several reasons for the delay.

I am not happy with $200 travel certificate which they offered through Resolver (I am not planning to fly to US in near future so no use to me TBH). Not sure where I stand and what I can do if I want money as a compensation?

Any advice is really appreciated x
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,533
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    UA flights are covered by EU261 when departing from the EU but not departing US. If you want money then best to check what your travel insurance policy covers. If you want to be covered by EU261 on flights departing from US, you would need to book on an EU carrier
  • idlesaver
    Forumite
    Caz3121 wrote: »
    UA flights are covered by EU261 when departing from the EU but not departing US. If you want money then best to check what your travel insurance policy covers. If you want to be covered by EU261 on flights departing from US, you would need to book on an EU carrier

OK Thank you :)

Unfortunately I didnt have travel insurance:o
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    idlesaver wrote: »
    OK Thank you :)

Unfortunately I didnt have travel insurance:o
    No travel insurance going to USA?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • idlesaver
    Forumite
    Nope :( Forgot to do it !
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    idlesaver wrote: »
    Nope :( Forgot to do it !
    Well, I'm glad you're looking embarrassed about it ...

If you do more than one trip away, it's almost certainly worth getting an annual policy. Do it the moment you get something else booked!

We've only ever had to claim twice, in a number of years, and in neither case was it huge amounts, but I was glad to have it! Once we had to cancel because I broke my shoulder not long before we were due to go, and once we were ill while away, requiring a day in hospital on a drip.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • sentosa
    sentosa Posts: 44
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 10 August 2018 at 4:26PM
    Apologies,now posted in correct place, I hope.
  • I travelled to Australia which was operated by Etihad airways. My stopovers were in Abu Dhabi and Sydney. The flight was delayed from Abu Dhabi to Sydney and therefore I missed connecting last flight for the day. Etihad airways provided overnight accommodation. I had to take the first available flight the following morning. Therefore I reached my final destination more than 6 hours late.

I wrote to Etihad airways and they are claiming that the delay was due to air traffic control and I am not entitled to any compensation. I asked them for proof regarding air traffic control delay. They responded stating that this is the response from their legal department and they cannot provide any further evidence.
    I do not trust their air traffic control delay response as my husband travelled a week later and faced the same situation.
    How can I check if they are telling the truth or not. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you
    :(:(:(:(
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,084
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Unfortunately, taking them to court is usually the only way find out.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • I was scheduled to fly from Edinburgh to New York (Newark) with United Airlines on the 3/7/18 & when we got to the check in desk was told the flight was cancelled as the incoming flight from New York had not left due to a technical issue with the plane. I asked about alternative flights to New York that day from London but was told there was no availability.
    Instead we were told that a new flight with a different number to the original flight was rescheduled for the next day 4/7/18 at 13.30. When we turned up on the 4/7/18 it transpired that this flight also had a technical problem (different plane) & was cancelled.
    Fortunately as we did not kick up a fuss the day before (like some others) United arranged for us to fly to Heathrow & then to New York. Arriving 5 hours later than our scheduled Edinburgh flight.
    On the way back from New York the flight was delayed 2 hours due to maintenance & then after half an hour on board the captain told us that the plane had a technical issue & was not going to fly that night. However another plane was made available to fly us home & after refuelling, etc. took off 5 minutes under four hours late.
    Can I claim two separate sets of EU compensation for the two cancelled Edinburgh flights?
    Also what am I likely to receive for compensation from United for the delayed flight back to Edinburgh.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback